Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm hoping the boat ride brings in the mysterious element that used to be part of El Rio del Tiempo but is now lost with the toon takeover.

Siren

i ve always thought we might see a drop to evade a predator on the ride kind of like JPRA.. a 40 inch ride height would be appropriate and pretty much include everyone over the age of 5
Wow, that's a really good idea and it sounds so exciting, too! And, why not? Splash Mountain is a perfect example of an attraction that offers the best of both worlds.

I don't think it needs a drop, if you want a thrilling water ride there is Kali rapids but DAK doesn't have many sedate rides and this will add something a little smoother into the mix.
I like Kali River Rapids but it is somewhat tame for my tastes. The whole "Rapids" thing is a bit of a stretch for me. This experience is more akin to floating through a gentle creek or stream. With that said, I love the queue and I really want to ride Kali River Rapids at night, of course then it will be too scary. LOL.

Jon81uk

Wow, that's a really good idea and it sounds so exciting, too! And, why not? Splash Mountain is a perfect example of an attraction that offers the best of both worlds.

I like Kali River Rapids but it is somewhat tame for my tastes. The whole "Rapids" thing is a bit of a stretch for me. This experience is more akin to floating through a gentle creek or stream. With that said, I love the queue and I really want to ride Kali River Rapids at night, of course then it will be too scary. LOL.

Kali might be tame compared to some rapids rides, but the drop is still moderately intense. Animal Kingdom doesn't currently need another similar attraction. The Pandora boat ride needs to be more like Pirates or Jungle Cruise to give a smooth in that park.

Siren

Kali might be tame compared to some rapids rides, but the drop is still moderately intense. Animal Kingdom doesn't currently need another similar attraction. The Pandora boat ride needs to be more like Pirates or Jungle Cruise to give a smooth in that park.
I totally understand your point. And while I would love for the Pandora boat ride to incorporate a thrill element -- I would also be okay with a smooth and tranquil ride experience -- and, the Pirates ride does have a drop or two.

ChrisM

I like Kali River Rapids but it is somewhat tame for my tastes.

Apparently you've never been sitting in the two seats that get annihilated by the geyser at the top of the lift.

As for the remaining 30 seconds of the ride, you're spot on.

Siren

Apparently you've never been sitting in the two seats that get annihilated by the geyser at the top of the lift.

As for the remaining 30 seconds of the ride, you're spot on.
You're totally right! I have never gotten soaked or even wet on Kali, which is fine by me. I love the water rides but I totally hate getting wet, especially on Pirates -- ewww, that water is so gross. LOL.

I just can't wait to ride EE, Kali and the Safari at night!

DisneyCane

It only needed to be mentioned once to establish that the atmosphere is toxic, but then there are numerous places in the movie where we see behaving in ways that are consistent with there being a toxic atmosphere. There are situations in the movie where if the mask was just a precaution, people wouldn't have bothered to put one on.

With that said, I agree that they will probably come up with an explanation, because they surely aren't going to make people wear masks. :)

Maybe when you enter Pandora you are an Avatar and therefore aren't really breathing that air.

Incomudro

Again, I don't agree that Splash Mountain would be 'far superior' to 7DMT without the drop -- that is a matter of opinion.

First, the name would have to be changed to something like Smooth Mountain or Country Cruise Mountain because there would be no "splash" element.

Second, without the drop -- Splash Mountain would be flat with no elevated level and essentially IASW Southern Style. You simply can not omit the drop, it makes Splash Mountain what it is.

For me, the drop on Splash Mountain is way scarier than any other ride in WDW. That drop is so steep and terrifying -- and, it's not controlled so you just hang over the cliff for a moment. Not cool.

I have to agree on the Pandora boat ride. I hope there is a drop or slide -- just something to add a rush of excitement. Avatarland has been a frustrating venture, to say the least, but I do want to see it come to fruition. And, I will not endure this again with Toy Story and Star Wars land. I will only become interested when the date is announced and the shovels are well into the ground.

Okay, fine. When compared to the other mountains, 7DMT is not an E ticket. But, when compared to the other rides in Fantasyland -- 7DMT is more like a children's E ticket, not to mention, it is super popular. That said, I totally understand why some feel it's a D+.
I agree.
And if you're paying attention in Splash Mountain, the whole ride teases the build up to the drop.

MerlinTheGoat

It's impossible to ignore Splash's drop because the buildup is there even approaching it from a distance before riding it. But what is being ignored from my statement that we're discussing a hypothetical situation where the ride had originally been built without the concept of a drop at all. With no one realizing it was ever supposed to have a big drop. The scenes would not have had that buildup to begin with and no one would have the idea that the ride was supposed to be thrilling. If you took the drop away now, of course everyone would consider it a downgrade because we all know what the ride is supposed to be like (similar to the negative comparisons of WDW's POTC and its removed scenes vs Disneyland). But if you never knew it was supposed to have a drop to begin with and it was designed specifically not to have one, then you can approach the ride with a more objective mind as I am trying to do. And focus on the showmanship aspects instead.

As it stands, the quality of the show scenes alone are absolutely enough to put it among the best Disney has produced and well above Mine Train. Instead try to imagine if the ride had been built without drops and housed inside an interior show building like Living with the Land. It still contains most of its original scenes, but with drops and references/buildup to the drop not included in the original design. Or at least with less intense Pirates style drops instead. Even still the ride would be an awesome E ticket. It would still be an extremely long ride with rich scenery and an immense population of awesome animatronics.

Because I am aware of what Splash Mountain is supposed to be like, of course I would change nothing about it and consider a drop-less version a downgrade. But the ride is so full of quality scenes the the drops only further enhance a ride that is already full of some of the best work Disney has ever done. The scenes themselves do stand on their own. I will say that had the ride been little else besides the drop, it would have been pretty disappointing. But if it had been just a standard boat ride with the same quality scenes just without a drop, still would have been an awesome ride.

Thrills have again never been the sole defining aspect of an E ticket, some of the best E tickets have little to no thrill at all. Pirates of the Caribbean, the original Imagination, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Horizons, Great Movie Ride, Haunted Mansion etc. And yes even Small World which was originally considered an E (some like to argue this one no longer is given the archaic figures, but the ride is very long and the scenes still have a ton of detail, even the simplicity of the dolls is somewhat offset by their sheer massive quantities).

I think/hope you're right... a nice "no height requirement, sit back and enjoy a leisurely ride in the AC for 5-8 minutes" type ride at AK would be fine by me.
I'm fine with either something like Pirates or Living with the Land, though preferably a bit longer than that if there aren't any drops. Living with the Land is about 15 minutes long (and a very pleasant and entertaining respite). I definitely am fine without this ride having more intense thrills or a height limit though, regardless of whether there are some minor drops or not. The park needs more quality rides (not carnival nonsense) like that that anyone can enjoy. Again as long as it's a lengthy experience with lots of Disney quality show scenes (hopefully using physical scenery and figures and not overwhelmingly video based).

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

One of the best scenes in any Disney attraction is the battle scene in Pirates. When the fog rolls through and explosions are going off all around you, it really is sensory over load. It's the one thing that the Florida version does better than the California version in that this scene is right after the waterfall.

I think the Avatar boat ride has the potential to set this type of atmosphere in one or more of the anticipated large show scenes. I expect there to be sensory overload even while we're being stalked by animals. I really do have high hopes for this attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom