Boat ride might not be happening after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

One of the best scenes in any Disney attraction is the battle scene in Pirates. When the fog rolls through and explosions are going off all around you, it really is sensory over load. It's the one thing that the Florida version does better than the California version in that this scene is right after the waterfall.

I think the Avatar boat ride has the potential to set this type of atmosphere in one or more of the anticipated large show scenes. I expect there to be sensory overload even while we're being stalked by animals. I really do have high hopes for this attraction.

I get goose bumps thinking about that scene.
Every time I ride it, I'm still amazed at the scale of it!
And it's all indoors to boot.

Uncle Lupe

The video shows two clips of kali. Later of them with the drop. Has to have some sort of drop. Joe Rhode saying romantic may kill that idea.

Siren

I'm think black light iasw....
No.

I have a feeling that the boat ride will have more of a LWTL Vibe to it...
No.

i am expecting a jungle cruise type ride with some pretty cool AA's.
And, no.

During an interview with the LA Times, Joe Rohde said the boat ride will be a D ticket attraction heavily modeled after Pirates. Avatarland will have audio animatronics, 3-D projections and hologram effects -- it is unclear whether these features will be part of the boat attraction, but I can't see why they wouldn't be.

I agree.
And if you're paying attention in Splash Mountain, the whole ride teases the build up to the drop.
Yes, I totally agree! There is just no other way to spin it. LOL.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No.

No.

And, no.

During an interview with the LA Times, Joe Rohde said the boat ride will be a D ticket attraction heavily modeled after Pirates. Avatarland will have audio animatronics, 3-D projections and hologram effects -- it is unclear whether these features will be part of the boat attraction, but I can't see why they wouldn't be.

And you know these things how?

The LA Time articles does say that, but it's not a direct quote from Rohde.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still say think IASW but with pandora... and obviously things like projection will be used.. but it's not going to be Kali rapids, and I doubt it will even have the drops of pirates or splash. The best question is will it only be floating boats, or will they have a direct drive system for more interesting effects/capabilities.

jt04

I still say think IASW but with pandora... and obviously things like projection will be used.. but it's not going to be Kali rapids, and I doubt it will even have the drops of pirates or splash. The best question is will it only be floating boats, or will they have a direct drive system for more interesting effects/capabilities.

I'd love for this to provide the wonder of LWTL and the complexity of Pirates and the aesthetics of the JC but at night. Plus lots of bioluminesence.

Siren

And you know these things how?

The LA Time articles does say that, but it's not a direct quote from Rohde.
The Pandora boat ride was described as being similar to Pirates, directly after Rohde's quote. Obviously, the writer was especially careful to not quote Rohde -- but it is safe to assume that he provided this information off record.

I'm sort of glad that you have unfairly set the bar so low for this ride -- at least this way, you won't be disappointed when it opens. LOL.

I'd love for this to provide the wonder of LWTL and the complexity of Pirates and the aesthetics of the JC but at night. Plus lots of bioluminesence.
OMG, this description is just brilliant! I hope it's just like this, too!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Pandora boat ride was described as being similar to Pirates, directly after Rohde's quote. Obviously, the writer was especially careful to not quote Rohde -- but it is safe to assume that he provided this information off record.
!

But he directly quotes Johde on other things, so it's not clear if that comparison came from him or not.

MerlinTheGoat

I hate to sound like a downer as i'm looking forward to the boat ride, but I think it might be a good idea to keep expectations at a reasonable level. And by reasonable, I would say it's probably not a good idea to expect a ride on the same level as Pirates.

Pirates (at least the Disneyland and Paris versions) is considered by many Disney fans to be one of the best rides they've ever made. Even Orlando's (when in good condition) is still a great ride in spite of its missing scenes. And even the higher ups in the company i'm guessing are well aware of its heritage as well as the popularity and scope. It's a classic example of a pure Disney caliber E ticket. If the Avatar boat were actually on that level, I would definitely think Disney would be marketing it as the land's actual E ticket (probably moreso than the sim) and would have hyped it into the ground by now. They've hyped far lesser experiences such as Little Mermaid's ride.

But with Pandora's boat ride, there almost actually seems to be a reluctance to talk about it apart from vague comments and the recycling of the same single piece of art we've seen time and time again (and art is often not a good indication of the final product). They've discussed the Soarin like simulator and the land itself to some extent, but there has been a suspicious lack of information on the boat. It's kind of worrisome and i'd almost say it feels like they're sweeping it under the rug...

I hope i'm wrong because I am looking forward to the ride, but it's still a good idea to keep your expectations in check here. I do think it's probably setting up unreasonable expectations to think it'll have the best parts of Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Land. Again a ride like that would be an absolute dream, i'd definitely consider such a ride an E ticket and I don't think Disney would be able to shut up about how awesome it would be.

Last edited:

jt04

I hate to sound like a downer as i'm looking forward to the boat ride, but I think it might be a good idea to keep expectations at a reasonable level. And by reasonable, I would say it's probably not a good idea to expect a ride on the same level as Pirates.

Pirates (at least the Disneyland and Paris versions) is considered by many Disney fans to be one of the best rides they've ever made. Even Orlando's (when in good condition) is still a great ride in spite of its missing scenes. And even the higher ups in the company i'm guessing are well aware of its heritage as well as the popularity and scope. It's a classic example of a pure Disney caliber E ticket. If the Avatar boat were actually on that level, I would definitely think Disney would be marketing it as the land's actual E ticket (probably moreso than the sim) and would have hyped it into the ground by now. They've hyped far lesser experiences such as Little Mermaid's ride.

But with Pandora's boat ride, there almost actually seems to be a reluctance to talk about it apart from vague comments and the recycling of the same single piece of art we've seen time and time again (and art is often not a good indication of the final product). They've discussed the Soarin like simulator and the land itself to some extent, but there has been a suspicious lack of information on the boat. It's kind of worrisome and i'd almost say it feels like they're sweeping it under the rug...

I hope i'm wrong because I am looking forward to the ride, but it's still a good idea to keep your expectations in check here. I do think it's probably setting up unreasonable expectations to think it'll have the best parts of Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Land. Again a ride like that would be an absolute dream, i'd definitely consider such a ride an E ticket and I don't think Disney would be able to shut up about how awesome it would be.

Agreed. The thought of an immersive boat ride on another planet is such a leap and they seem to take small steps in how immersive they make attractions. I guess they want to leave something that can be newer and better in the future. Star Wars land?

But just imagining an E-ticket version is profound.

IMFearless

I wonder whether there's any chance of the ride having a similar ride system to the POTC that is going into Shanghai. That looks amazing!

It would also explain the lack of information that we've had on the boat ride. I agree with the others who have suggested the wow factor of this rides needs to come from the show scenes themselves as opposed to the thrills of the ride system. Something with a good, progressive and imaginative storyline would be good.

Also a great song wouldn't go amiss!

jt04

I wonder whether there's any chance of the ride having a similar ride system to the POTC that is going into Shanghai. That looks amazing!

It would also explain the lack of information that we've had on the boat ride. I agree with the others who have suggested the wow factor of this rides needs to come from the show scenes themselves as opposed to the thrills of the ride system. Something with a good, progressive and imaginative storyline would be good.

Well said and hope you are right. I would just add that a storyline may not be necessary. It sort of speaks for itself. I would compare it to one of the nature trails in other lands if I were designing it. An aquatic version of the nightime walking trails that will be featured in the land with unique species and sights. And of course an awesome soundtrack as you suggest. No drop required.

so the boat ride at Avatar land may not be happening at all? Just the flight simulator? So basically Avatar is just getting one attraction? And if the boat ride does happen to come will it at least have one drop or has it been officially confirmed their will be no drop, not even that really really small drop on pirates of the Caribbean?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
so the boat ride at Avatar land may not be happening at all? Just the flight simulator? So basically Avatar is just getting one attraction? And if the boat ride does happen to come will it at least have one drop or has it been officially confirmed their will be no drop, not even that really really small drop on pirates of the Caribbean?

There is no evidence that it is not happening. It is clearly under construction and was mentioned during D23, although did not get as much attention as the flight simulator ride. There is still the possibility that it will not open with the rest of the land. During D23 Joe Rhode did say it would be a very sedate ride, so although a drop cannot be ruled out, if it's there it will be a small one.

flyerjab

This is why the title of this thread should be revisited. I would say it is safe to assume that the boat ride is happening considering Joe Rohde himself talked about it during the D23 announcement.

Siren

But he directly quotes Johde on other things, so it's not clear if that comparison came from him or not.
Okay fine. At least you admit that Rohde may or may not have made the statement off record. The article is very credible, too.

or maybe Joe didnt want to be quoted in the paper but did mention off record...i know i do this when i m interviewed by the paper (HS football coach)
Yes, I totally agree.

Oh wow! I didn't know that you were a HS football coach -- that's awesome. All the coaches I know in high school and college are so crazy but in a good way, like really amped up all the time. LOL.

I strongly believe that the Avatar boat ride will have the Shanghai POTC system! Basically, everyone is saying this! That would be so amazing, and I am also hoping for one drop or a slide -- just one! I totally love The Land boat ride at Epcot, which has no drops -- so either way is okay with me.

I want to have the total experience on the avatar boat ride...it's important that Disney themes the ride since they are like number 1 at doing so behind Universal IMO...but Uni is def catching up with that. You want to Have also a slight thrill which includes a small drop..I think that's the icing on the cake for this boat ride.

RSoxNo1

I want to have the total experience on the avatar boat ride...it's important that Disney themes the ride since they are like number 1 at doing so behind Universal IMO...but Uni is def catching up with that. You want to Have also a slight thrill which includes a small drop..I think that's the icing on the cake for this boat ride.
I could have said it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom