Bloggers and Podcasters need to be controlled

WDW1974

I will say that I am shocked that nobody posted a thread complaining about who got on the Disney Parks Blog Marathon Meet Up..... i thought for sure people would be cross referencing lists and calling people out. But I guess that only happens when "exciting" things happen and the swag might be worth something ;) Oh and of course when "he who shall not be named" is on a list! ( although he didn't get on the Splitzville DPB Meet Up list, he was someones plus one)

How many bloggers are even on it? Have you seen these people? No offense to the obsese out there or the mobidly obese or even the thin, but completely out of shape, but how many of these folks could run a mile if their lives depended on it? Seriously.

WDW1974

Think at any point TWDC will have to buy some of these blogs outright to shut them down? Im thinking its too late for a letter from legal at this point, right?

I think I don't wish to give free consulting to TWDC when I know my posts are being monitored.:)

PhotoDave219

I can guarantee you that I could easily pull in $5,000 a week by showing up at WDW's parks and giving my own tours 3-4 days a week. Now, do you think Disney would allow that or do you think that not only would I get security, but also the OC Sheriff's bullying treatment to make sure I got the message?

Actually.... I know a person who works for a private tour guide company..... SO it does happen.

PhotoDave219

How many bloggers are even on it? Have you seen these people? No offense to the obsese out there or the mobidly obese or even the thin, but completely out of shape, but how many of these folks could run a mile if their lives depended on it? Seriously.

Well, actually quite a few are in very good shape. RunDisney is very popular in that crowd and the people I know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
First of all, aren't you supposed to be enjoying a visit to DLR instead of spending time here?

After hours compadre :)

I only quoted the above because you were responding to me and I'm asking for nothing from any of the bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers ... what I want from TWDC (of which I am a shareholder of a publically traded corporation) is transparency on social media and ethics.

Well then I think you should stop attacking the individuals (regardless of their desirability or not) and focus on Disney's behavior. Why attack the puppets...who ultimately are replaceable and interchangeable? The fall of one of them wouldn't change the grand scheme or the game.

Personally, I think the community should hold themselves to higher standards and push their sites to do so as we'll. I don't care if they only cover rosey stories or reviews. That's their choice and their audience will react based on what they want. And that's how things should be.

As for Disney.. I have a hard time being concerned from a corporate responsibility front because I haven't seen anything yet to make me think this is a big investment, nor have I heard other media is being excluded at the cost of these types. Should I be upset Disney is trying to build brand champions? Should I be upset they can do this for probably a fraction of the cost of a tv spot?

To me, there of course there is the question of effectiveness... But unless there is a big outlay for this or casualties of consequence from it... I look at it as experimentation. What would bother me is if relationships are misrepresented, or if choices were made out of personal interests rather than business first.

I personally like the Disney parks blog project. I don't like their efforts in building an online community- but I like their making promos, behind the scenes, and teasers available directly.

Topics like inconsistent treatment of individuals or access - that I can only stand firm on if the relationship is being misrepresented. Media rarely has equal access. Even traditional media. So I can't be upset the company does as it always does and puts their interest first. I value transparency and consistency - I don't think Disney excels in either of those things to start.

I want a simple answer as to what the rules are because maybe my goal in life is to be a Disney podcaster (OK, we know it isn't, but let's play along) ... and if those rules apply to everyone equally. It really isn't too much to ask and it doesn't harm Disney's proprietary information (that is a BS line that can be used as an excuse to send people in circles forever).

And what if they don't apply equally. Then what? A moral victory for making them admit what we know to be true for all press types... That companies are not required to do so and that press relations is a dance both sides play to advance their own needs?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Shocking... The man who believes he can judge what should be allowed to exist or not.. Attacks those defending the ideal of freedom of expression. Well played joesph.

Oh its free to exist, I did sate I dont read blogs, even those that emanate in your land of the free (tongue in cheek, isnt it your el presidente that wants to control the internet?) I was just questioning the need for yet more drivel created in the hope of attaining freebies. After all we were discussing jealousy over such things were we not.
Perhaps in your rush to pontificate you missed that minor detail. But keep up the good work your piety is commendable.

Figment1986

I guess I'm one of those "want them but can't have them" people when it comes to blogging. Granted I don't care if i get them or not as long as people enjoy my hobby. I will disclose I did in the past have pretty good standing at universal Orlando (around harry potter it dipped... due to Disney blogs, but that's another thing) and still have good standing with Legoland and Busch Gardens.

MY site has been around for 10 years, I run it but don't own it. We disclose when we get free things (except flash drives since we can't remember when we get them half the time and figure out if they are worth money) and we announce when we're invited by parks to visit. I pay for my annual passes to Universal Orlando, Walt Disney World and SeaWorld Parks.

I don't get too many freebees except for maybe a Howl O Scream pass with quick queue access which we disclose... but we also get a season pass for that event as with horror nights so the night was not comped. not to mention the night of that is included with my platinum SeaWorld parks pass.

I don't get much money back from my hobby, in fact the owner had 9/10 Ads to pay for running the site, I got 1 banner add with the reports and any ad involved with tumblr and the staree set up on twitter and facebook. But this does not pay me much money for a college student doing this while looking for a job.

I was one of the bloggers who did get to go to Splitsville with the blog event (not press event) but the LAST event I attended was the Halloween/Haunted Mansion queue bash in 2011.

So am I a bad person?

Goofyernmost

You just summed it up very well above, but you didn't prove the point I believe you were trying. A grown man ...well, if guests are perceiving him to be a cast member then he either has to be and guests need to be made aware or if he isn't then that needs to be made clear, even if it's a couple of nervous 20-something plaids walking around with him constantly (if he is that important) so guests don't get fooled.

It really is the same principle of not allowing guests to walk in dressed as Cinderella, Jack Sparrow or Santa Claus. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out all the possible legal implications (no matter how many social media 'awards' are bestowed upon Lou's cherubic shoulders) of this when you include guests.

So, yes, there does have to be more to the story. As great a self-promoter as Lou is, none of it would be possible if not for Disney and Duncan Wardle and the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal.
I understand what you are saying and I realize that I seemed to support that with my post. However, the difference is that it really is not important to the general public what level he is standing on. In fact, if they feel, like I do, that a "member of the team" is spewing all this gobbledegook then it is actually less believable then if they felt that the dude was completely independent. That is why he insists that he is, but almost no one except you and a few others believe it, so it really has no influence on their real opinion.

Just knowing a single person that has ever visited the Disney Parks will have far more influence then Lou could ever have. Anyone that exudes that much "Pixie Dust" may be entertaining but certainly not seriously considered to be a credible adult when it comes to his opinion of Disney. It's like Stacy...entertaining? Yes! Appears to be talking from the heart? Not a chance!

So my feeling is that he is practically impotent when it comes to influencing people and it is the ability for anyone to get on the Disney gravy train, all they have to do is morph into a Lou! It is obvious that you could never be a Lou, but he could never be a WDW1974. He lives his life, you live yours...what's the problem? He is expressing his paid for opinions, but they are nothing more then opinions. He isn't telling people to gather up their life savings and give them to him and he will make their lives magical. He says what people want to hear and he gets rewarded for that. Heck, you ought to try that sometime. o_O:p

ddbowdoin

Disagree if you like, but the fact is you are talking about happy snapping when the field of photography covers many specialities most of which the majority wouldnt find glamorous or high profile enough.
Maybe if you werent so condescending about learning skills you may find an employer willing to ignore your arrogance.

I don't have problems finding work, but it's a competitive field and people have to do what they have to do to ... this isn't my main source of income, and honestly I'm glad it isn't because 100% full time guys shoot 99% subject material that is boring and only pays the bills. I can be a hell of a lot more selective then the guy/gal who absolutely needs the work. I worked with a long time wedding pro here in Boston, she charges around 8-10K per assignment... I second shot with her and started to notice my work being displayed as hers with clients. That's ok, I signed the contract stating that can happen... for a my price. But if I start meeting people at weddings and undercut and take work from her at a reduced rate, that's ok... money in my pocket and for what I feel is the same calibre of work. If it means taking a gig at a low rate to get in the door, pass around a few cards, meet people, become known then you have an opportunity to make your work shine and carry you forward.

But you have to make a lot of sacrifices to get to that level... willingness to do whatever it takes, dedicate thousands to a craft, an understanding partner/spouse. Not everyone (including myself) can just drop everything at home to take an assignment across the country for short cash, but some people are... because they just want to break in and I take my hat off to those people.

jlsHouston

What are "SM whores"?

SM = social media, this is all about social media and the power of...and as much as people can scoff at it, it is really powerful stuff. I have followed some milbloggers for the past 7 years since my son first deployed and bloggers have reach. They can raise awareness, undermine policies and opinions, reap rewards, accumulate lotsa cash for speaking engagements because they become kind of like experts, they publish and I mean they are just very influential. A good blogger can make or break an organization, maybe not Disney, but Soldiers Angels will never be the same because of some bloggers...I am like Britt since I don't follow any disney bloggers all these names mean nothing to me, but I have to agree this thread is discussing the power being misused/compromised by bloggers with or without disney corporate sanctioning it and that is serious business..

PhotoDave219

as opposed to no work at all... no exposure, no real portfolio

Look, I don't have time nor the inclination to explain the business to you. You want to work for free, have fun. I don't.

I do know if your name ever comes up in any conversations with editors, buyers, photo friends, industry people, this whole conversation wont have scored any points for you.

PhotoDave219

IBut if I start meeting people at weddings and undercut and take work from her at a reduced rate, that's ok... money in my pocket and for what I feel is the same calibre of work. If it means taking a gig at a low rate to get in the door, pass around a few cards, meet people, become known then you have an opportunity to make your work shine and carry you forward.

Dude, I have friends in Boston. Thats not a professional way to behave. That's also a good way to off the person who gave you a chance to break into the industry and allow you to shoot second.

ddbowdoin

Look, I don't have time nor the inclination to explain the business to you. You want to work for free, have fun. I don't.

I do know if your name ever comes up in any conversations with editors, buyers, photo friends, industry people, this whole conversation wont have scored any points for you.

When did I say I ever worked for free?!??

Also, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with taking an assignment for 4 grand, just because select primary shooters are charging 8-10 grand doesn't mean I'm undercutting.

But it's obvious you know everything pal...

And nice way to threaten me, I am shaking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom