Block Party Bash on the way to Disney-Pixar Studios in May 2008?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
There's an interesting update from Al Lutz today over at Miceage pointing out that plans are getting underway to bring the ultra-popular Block Party Bash from DCA to the newly-rebranded Disney-Pixar Studios in May 2008 (DCA is getting a new parade).

This will coincide with the opening of Toy Story Mania, also in May, and a rebranding of the park as the Disney-Pixar Studios. Since the park opened on May 1, 1989, I would bet we will see this all unfold on May 1, 2008 (19th birthday...the park will be able to drink alcohol in Niagara Falls, Canada). This would certainly make a rebranding as the Disney-Pixar Studios more reasonable.

nelsonj3

My only thought is that WDW seems to be getting a lot of things second hand from DCA and DLR. Some examples include Soarin', Wishes, Midway Mania (planned for DCA first as I understand- even though both are under construction), and now Block Party Bash.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My only thought is that WDW seems to be getting a lot of things second hand from DCA and DLR. Some examples include Soarin', Wishes, Midway Mania (planned for DCA first as I understand- even though both are under construction), and now Block Party Bash.
Wishes was a WDW original... derived from Believes concept but presented as new. Remembers opening and closing are based on Wishes. Wishes itself was cloned to DLP - some may say in name only.

Which brings us to cloning... a cheap way of adding new attractions. What`s to say? It saves money. If done well, a clone can be an exciting variation on a theme (BTM, Splash), an identical but adapted for it`s surroundings attraction (HM), a good but inferior version of the original (PotC) or just a cheap option to add copy cat attractions in different parks. Some may never visit more than one park and be glad they can see a Californian attraction in Orlando. Others see it as a quick and easy way to add new attractions with far reduced outlay. Of course it helps if an attraction is worth cloning to begin with.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
With Jay Rasulo at the helm, I am even more likely to believe they would send a parade over. The good part here is that it is actually a fantastic parade (exponentially better than the tired Stars and Cars parade which I didn't find inspiring in 2001, and still don't). It would be very welcomed and we have been hearing more than whispers for awhile now of a change to Disney-Pixar Studios--bringing BPB over would make a lot of sense if that happens.

bgraham34

With Jay Rasulo at the helm, I am even more likely to believe they would send a parade over. The good part here is that it is actually a fantastic parade (exponentially better than the tired Stars and Cars parade which I didn't find inspiring in 2001, and still don't). It would be very welcomed and we have been hearing more than whispers for awhile now of a change to Disney-Pixar Studios--bringing BPB over would make a lot of sense if that happens.

You really think.

Kyle,
You are right about a new parade coming to MGM that have been in the works since last summer and they are building stuff now over at MGM for it. I would bet that they would change the name since the rights for MGM runs out next year. And with toy story mania coming, and other things are coming as well around the same time that have not been relesed that i know about.

PKD

Wasn't it discussed before that one reason why BPB "wasn't/didn't" come to MGM was due to how the Union in FLA doesn't allow a lot of what is done in the parade? Meaning, the performers have to be listed as Equity/higher pay due to the moves and such? Where as out in CA they don't have the same rules to follow?

WDWFREAK53

Wasn't it discussed before that one reason why BPB "wasn't/didn't" come to MGM was due to how the Union in FLA doesn't allow a lot of what is done in the parade? Meaning, the performers have to be listed as Equity/higher pay due to the moves and such? Where as out in CA they don't have the same rules to follow?

I thought "size" was the issue...I thought that some of the floats were too large for the paths at the Studios.

See, size DOES matter :lookaroun

bauton

I saw the parade

don't see any issues with the size, it should fit the current parade route with no issues. This parade is great though. Much better than anything I've seen at the studios. I believe this would be a welcome addition to the Studios. I believe Al says in the article that one of the hang ups is how hot it is in Florida as compared to California. That the performers would over heat?

haveyoumetmark

This is an interesting idea. I don't really like the Star and Motor Cars Parade at all. So this would be something welcomed and fresh for me. I'm just not sure how much I like the sound of Disney-Pixar Studios. I have nothing against Pixar, I just don't think the name has a ring to it. Oh well. We'll see what happens in a year. How exciting. :)

Ausdaddy

Having seen both parades, I can't say I'm excited. Block Party is a lot of fun, but I'm not sure it fits into the park. Say what you want about Stars and MotorCars, but I think the theme behind it fit the park better. I know many people found it boring, but the idea of celebrities riding through the parade fits Old Hollywood. My kids have always gotten a lot of interaction from it. Block party will fit the Disney/Pixar Studios name, but that Old Hollywood thing just doesn't mesh. I would have loved to see something original, but it appears that WDW will be playing second fiddle to DLR for the near future.

monorailguy01

Disney-Pixar Studios, when did they change the name? I was there for spring break and it was still Disney MGM Studios. IS this something that will take place in 2008?:shrug:

PKD

Wishes was a WDW original... derived from Believes concept but presented as new. Remembers opening and closing are based on Wishes. Wishes itself was cloned to DLP - some may say in name only.

SIDESTEP: Marni, do know why DLP never shoots high distance pyro and only shoots local pyro by the castle? I have seen this for many of their night shows and it looks VERY odd.

haveyoumetmark

Having seen both parades, I can't say I'm excited. Block Party is a lot of fun, but I'm not sure it fits into the park. Say what you want about Stars and MotorCars, but I think the theme behind it fit the park better. I know many people found it boring, but the idea of celebrities riding through the parade fits Old Hollywood. My kids have always gotten a lot of interaction from it. Block party will fit the Disney/Pixar Studios name, but that Old Hollywood thing just doesn't mesh. I would have loved to see something original, but it appears that WDW will be playing second fiddle to DLR for the near future.

I agree 100% that the Stars and Motor Cars parade works well with Disney/MGM's old theme, but now the park is a mess. It's going through evolutionary stages as we speak. I think it's completely different from what it was envisioned to be -- theme wise.

Figment1986

SIDESTEP: Marni, do know why DLP never shoots high distance pyro and only shoots local pyro by the castle? I have seen this for many of their night shows and it looks VERY odd.

the French government only allows them to shoot high pyro on certain days, and low level pyro for so man days a year.

the-reason14

I still dont know whether I like or hate the whole "pixar" studious thing. I dont know how they can change it that fast, but who knows.

And the parade, I dont think I can careless what they do with it. Stars and motor cars is ok, but all of the parades left over from the 100 year of magic celebration are done and tired, they all new a revamp.

Ausdaddy

I agree 100% that the Stars and Motor Cars parade works well with Disney/MGM's old theme, but now the park is a mess. It's going through evolutionary stages as we speak. I think it's completely different from what it was envisioned to be -- theme wise.

Agreed. I guess it's those remaining pieces I'm reluctant to let go. Oh well. At least the Block Party doesn't stink.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
It is clear that MGM needs major changes, and if this is such a major refurbishment (I'm not saying it is, but there is the potential for it to be), they I'm all for it. The original park died long ago, and I'm ready to move on if it is toward a cohesive theme for the park. There is certainly enough time for cosmetic changes to the park in the next 14 months--and maybe a new show in addition to TSM and BPB? There are more than a few available stages, all they need to do is put together the show. The park desperately needs a show of Finding Nemo calibre--is Anne Hamburger available?

Teenchy

It is clear that MGM needs major changes, and if this is such a major refurbishment (I'm not saying it is, but there is the potential for it to be), they I'm all for it. The original park died long ago, and I'm ready to move on if it is toward a cohesive theme for the park. There is certainly enough time for cosmetic changes to the park in the next 14 months--and maybe a new show in addition to TSM and BPB? There are more than a few available stages, all they need to do is put together the show. The park desperately needs a show of Finding Nemo calibre--is Anne Hamburger available?

Totally agree....I was at the Studios Friday and was thinking the same thing ...that how the park has no real identity. The "Old Hollywood" is gone...the Hat covers one of the icons of old Hollywood (Chinese Theater) The park is so weighted to one side (RNR & TOT) that when you walk through other parts it sometimes feels like a ghost town. At midday albet during a LMA show we walked into Mama Melrose for lunch(No ADR) and were one of only 8 tables seated at that time. I cant wait for some improvements to the Studios. Heck at this point even High School Musical got the crowd excited and it at least made it feel like something special was happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom