Block Party Bash on the way to Disney-Pixar Studios in May 2008?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
but - by changing it to disney-pixar - that's the same as mgm - it's still a movie themed park - do you think they would tear down the themeing of the 1940's Golden Hollywood Era just because of the Pixar name change? I can see them changing the animation courtyard to pixar - and redoing the animation studios there - and maybe taking all of the backlot tour for pixar stuff - but I would be the 1940's themeing on sunset and hollywood will be there... right?
No...that would be really expensive and it's a well-themed area of the park. I just don't think the park will be themed as guests literally being in the 1940s. Think of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. more as sets. That's honestly the only way that the rides in the park can fit in, since everything is very clearly placed in modern day. It was easier to argue that it was set in the 1940s when the Great Movie Ride was the only ride in that area of the park, but everything since then has gone against that theme and the GMR, luckily, is themed so that it could also be set in the present day.

I don't think rebranding the park Disney-Pixar Studios will ruin the park any more than being Disney-MGM Studios has. How many MGM rides are there? Not many. The focus, first and foremost, is on the entertainment industry as a whole, and it'll stay that way. I guess they feel that since the park has had two names since it opened, it should stay that way. I figure they will have the new ride, parade, maybe some additions over at Disney Animation, and perhaps a new show based on a Pixar movie. Maybe they could be ahead of the bar for once and have something based on a movie that is not several years old--like a Ratatouille stage show. I am not sure the park needs more shows, but there is no time to build a new ride by May of 2008. The old Superstar Television theatre, however, could handle a new show--and they could fully enclose it so it can have good lighting. How nice it would be to see something new in that Superstar TV/Sounds Dangerous! building...

Figment82

I think it would be great if they brought Superstar Television back - but used current/semi-recent shows like Housewives, Grey's, Lost, etc. It's still a fun concept and fits in well with the current obsession over interactive rides/shows.

Nicole220

I feel sorry for the performers. I can't imagine performing that in Florida's heat and humidity!! I'd pass out and die lol.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I feel sorry for the performers. I can't imagine performing that in Florida's heat and humidity!! I'd pass out and die lol.
yeah...but it's not the first time they have had to do acrobatics in the summer heat in FL. I would imagine you get used to it. They could always have them wear those cooling suits that the drivers in Lights, Motors, Action! use :) That might conceal how attractive they are though...maybe that shouldn't be important at Disney World though lol...but I definitely noticed the young ladies in BPB at DCA were good-looking...:lookaroun

Nicole220

yeah...but it's not the first time they have had to do acrobatics in the summer heat in FL. I would imagine you get used to it. They could always have them wear those cooling suits that the drivers in Lights, Motors, Action! use :) That might conceal how attractive they are though...maybe that shouldn't be important at Disney World though lol...but I definitely noticed the young ladies in BPB at DCA were good-looking...:lookaroun
I've never seen the cooling suits in LMA, but wouldn't they be a lot different from what the normal costume is for BPB? :shrug:

TP2000

Block Party Bash also relies on a lot of audience participation, and that would seem to me to be very difficult in the tough Orlando climate.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Block Party Bash and am looking forward to it being replace by a more traditional parade in '08 once it's shipped to Florida. Block Party Bash reminds me of a bad wedding reception, but some people like that sort of thing. Especially people who are five years old. Here's a YouTube video..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgFVFKd0aX0&mode=related&search=

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Block Party Bash also relies on a lot of audience participation, and that would seem to me to be very difficult in the tough Orlando climate.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Block Party Bash and am looking forward to it being replace by a more traditional parade in '08 once it's shipped to Florida. Block Party Bash reminds me of a bad wedding reception, but some people like that sort of thing. Especially people who are five years old. Here's a YouTube video..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgFVFKd0aX0&mode=related&search=
it appeals to the same type of person who'd like going on a cruise. You just have to let loose and enjoy yourself, then it's a lot of fun. You're never gonna see any of the people around you again, anyway (except your family, and they are stuck with you regardless). My experience w/ BPB has been that lots of people get into it and just about everyone is at least tapping their heals. I think it'll help breath some life into the tired Studios. People clap and dance along to the Jammin' Jungle Parade, so I think they will respond well to this, too--especially families with little kids :)

5. 4. 3. 2. BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK PARTY!

I like this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKkgGKmgz0U

I still have my free Block Party Bash squishy ball!

Skippy_

I was actually hoping we would get less Pixar stuff :brick: No offence to Pixar but I'm just tired of seeing the same characters being dumped in all four parks. Pixar is all we've seen the past few years and I'd like a change.

I was happy with Pizza Planet and have no urge to ride Toy Story Mainia. The attraction's carnival theme doesn't fit into the Hollywood atmosphere at all but was meant for the Paradise Pier carnival area at DCA.

Changing it to Disney-Pixar Studios would be a very BAD idea. People often associate Disney and Pixar as strictly animation or cartoons studios and would think of the park as just that, a cartoon studio. MGM was the largest and most popular movie studio in the 1940's and perfectly associates the park with classic hollywood.

Pixar needs to keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be bad!!!

VintageKid21

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
Ok - after I have watched what I believe is the most put together version of this parade on YouTube I am laughing hysterically - now don't get me wrong at all, the parade looks like a blast, but as someone posted earlier it is like a wedding reception on wheels.

This parade does nothing for me, I can see where it would for those with small children and those who have had a little too much to drink by the time 3 o'clock rolls around, but I guess if I am a traditionalist and I want to see classic Disney characters in a parade.

I have other synaptic misfires going on in my head but I can't seem to connect them all to make them coherent right now, but that is what I get for being up at 5am :snore: , I will try to collect them all and post them later! :wave:

jmmc

The real reason they're pushing Pixar movies so much is that they have been Disney's only real consistently successful movies for years now. The same is also true for the emphasis on pirates.

If Disney could get their animation act together again, we wouldn't have Pixar pushed on us exclusively. The problem with all this is that it seems very short-sighted, basing so many attractions at the parks on movies that have come out very recently. They have to take care not to just focus on currently popular movies for a "quick fix" to keep people in the park. Is there really any way of knowing how popular Finding Nemo will remain in, say, ten years? So, movie-themed things are okay, but they need independently-themed attractions, too, to allow for a timeless factor. Which is why I'm still surprised they ever successfully got Expedition Everest off the ground!

JMM

St205

Seems like a pretty stupid move to rename it. However it would be a good idea IF Pixar incorporates some kind of an animation studio in Florida.

We already saw what they did to the Seas pavillion.*shudders at the thought of Buzz Lightyear's Tower of Terror.* :hurl:

MickeyTigg

Ugh....I hate that parade. The only parade that's more annoying than that one was the old Mickey Mania Parade.

Al Lutz is an idiot....he's starting to get as annoying as Jim Hill.

Re-branded studios....since when...in Al's mind. Nothing has been officially mentioned anywhere.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Ugh....I hate that parade. The only parade that's more annoying than that one was the old Mickey Mania Parade.

Al Lutz is an idiot....he's starting to get as annoying as Jim Hill.

Re-branded studios....since when...in Al's mind. Nothing has been officially mentioned anywhere.
Nothing official? No. But, there have been more than a few mentions of it from folks in the know. This will happen.

As for BPB, don't judge it based on a youtube video. It's surely not for everyone (parades aren't for everyone), but it is tremendously popular in California and will likely be the same here. Some folks won't like it, but LOTS of folks don't like Stars and Cars. As for cooling suits being bad for performing, I would think passing out in the 95-degree, 95% humidity of an Orlando August would be worse...in the very least, they will have to provide lots of water for the actors. Luckily, MGM can only support two show-stops instead of the 3 they started with at DCA--one stop from Star Tours to the old Superstar Television, and the other along Hollywood Blvd. Also, there are certainly a couple areas where trees and planters will need to be removed to open areas up since despite what some people may think, this will attract major crowds.

Changing the name to make people think it's a cartoon-themed park? Nah. I don't think the average person analyzes park names that much. What would they think Epcot is? The average person paying thousands of dollars to visit a park will open the park map and see what there is to offer, and let's not forget: the Walt Disney Company was founded on animation. Plus, the park is 18-years old. The average guest has been there before and knows it's the home of the Tower of Terror.

JCBarbie

I'm kinda confused. Are they really re-branding the disney/mgm studios to the disney/pixar studios? What will happen to GMR? Coaster and Tower which are so not pixar?

And as for block party are they going to be watering it down as rumored before because of the size of the floats?

I'm confusafied....

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I'm kinda confused. Are they really re-branding the disney/mgm studios to the disney/pixar studios? What will happen to GMR? Coaster and Tower which are so not pixar?

And as for block party are they going to be watering it down as rumored before because of the size of the floats?

I'm confusafied....
Don't know yet how BPB may appear in May 2008--logistics are being worked out. GMR needs an update, anyway, and we'll see if some changes do occur. RnRC and Tower of Terror are so not MGM or Disney, either, so nothing will happen to them.

mhead

With Jay Rasulo at the helm, I am even more likely to believe they would send a parade over. The good part here is that it is actually a fantastic parade (exponentially better than the tired Stars and Cars parade which I didn't find inspiring in 2001, and still don't). It would be very welcomed and we have been hearing more than whispers for awhile now of a change to Disney-Pixar Studios--bringing BPB over would make a lot of sense if that happens.

Totally disagree. Block Party Bash is a jumbled mess in my opinion. One of the least impressive "parades" I have seen at a Disney park. Stars and Cars should be updated at the least, but not replaced with that mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom