Block Party Bash on the way to Disney-Pixar Studios in May 2008?

VulliamyWDW

I Think this would make perfect sense. It is now rumoured that WDS Paris will be getting Stars and Motor Cars next year i think so it would be great timing for a 'new' parade at the Studios especially with all the Pixar attractions springing up all over the place.

But i think that even renaming the park again removes even more of the already lacking Old Hollywood element, to me Pixar seems far too modern for the style and theming of the Park, maybe a seperate Pixar land in order to protect the theming.

Sorry if i contradicted myself there, i'm too opinionated for my own good.:veryconfu

darthjohnny

I think the new parade will be cool. I like the Motor Cars parade too, however.

But it has been there for a long time. Wonder what they'll do with all those cool themed cars. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of them. :)

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
they are rumored to go to Paris. You can thank Jay Rasulo for that. This will give three parks "new parades" and all they have to make is one new parade...but we will have been dealing with basically the same parade at MK, MGM, and AK for 7 years once BPB shows up (I hardly consider Disney Dreams Come True a new parade...)

Animaniac93-98

I think the chage would be harder than some imagine. For example, what do 1920's/30's Hollywood blvd. and 1940's Sunset Blvd. have to do with Pixar? or the twilight Zone? and what About the Great Movie Ride (Although i think I'll be one of the few who will miss it). Please tell me they won't chage it to the great Pixar ride.

Then again i don't think the MGM relation was used to its full potential. The Wizard of Oz ride never got built, nor did the Gone With the Wind sence in the GMR get built. the Singin' in the rain lampost/umbrella thing is the only MGM item that i think about outside the GMR. Part of this is due to paying to get extra rights but I just feel more could have been done. and i'd rather see more "More stars than there are in the heavens" than computer generated fish and monsters.

VintageKid21

It doesn't make sense to me

The name change to the "Disney-Pixar Studios" doesn't make sense to me and it will warrent a name change within 10 years anyway because Pixar is Disney. Just let it be "Disney Studios" like every vacation planning video has called it for the past 4 years and let it be. This way we can still perserve some of the "hollywood that never was" aspect remain to the park. While, BPB is an exciting thought and prospect for bringing new life to the park, the staffing and size have both been issues for bringing this parade across the nation and as of two years ago would have had to be reworked to make its stroll through the Studios, since I have not been working in the Studios for a couple of years now I do not know how the project has progressed. Motor Cars has never been one of my favorite parades, but it has been a parade that has allowed the wonder StreetMo characters to wander along the parade route and interact with the guests, which is one of the Studios biggest gems, IMO. It shall be interesting to see how all of this plays out, but I will miss my "hollywood that never was" and even though it currently isn't you can still find it if you know where to look! :)

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I think the chage would be harder than some imagine. For example, what do 1920's/30's Hollywood blvd. and 1940's Sunset Blvd. have to do with Pixar? or the twilight Zone? and what About the Great Movie Ride (Although i think I'll be one of the few who will miss it). Please tell me they won't chage it to the great Pixar ride.

Then again i don't think the MGM relation was used to its full potential. The Wizard of Oz ride never got built, nor did the Gone With the Wind sence in the GMR get built. the Singin' in the rain lampost/umbrella thing is the only MGM item that i think about outside the GMR. Part of this is due to paying to get extra rights but I just feel more could have been done. and i'd rather see more "More stars than there are in the heavens" than computer generated fish and monsters.
Likewise, what does G-Force records have to do with Old Hollywood? Even the Tower of Terror is clearly set in modern day. Then you have the Sorcerer Mickey Hat. And if you leave Sunset/Hollywood Blvds. at all, the golden age of Hollywood is gone. Very little of the "Hollywood that never was and always will be" remains.
The name change to the "Disney-Pixar Studios" doesn't make sense to me and it will warrent a name change within 10 years anyway because Pixar is Disney. Just let it be "Disney Studios" like every vacation planning video has called it for the past 4 years and let it be.
It's been the Disney Studios in the videos for longer than 4 years--they are not allowed to use the MGM name in any material sent overseas, so it's the Disney Studios. Pixar isn't Disney. They are separate entities, the films just become property of Disney so they can make rides and sell merchandise. The films will always still be "Disney-Pixar" films or the longer "Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film."

Animaniac93-98

Likewise, what does G-Force records have to do with Old Hollywood? Even the Tower of Terror is clearly set in modern day. Then you have the Sorcerer Mickey Hat. And if you leave Sunset/Hollywood Blvd. at all, the golden age of Hollywood is gone. Very little of the "Hollywood that never was and always will be" remains.

What does G-Force records have to do with Pixar?:p

Valid points, but I'm just upset over the fact that the quick fix for Disney parks these days is adding pixar characters (for DCA, WDSP, MGM, MK etc.) instead of trying to rework the original concept of the park/land (like making Paradise Pier better reflect the Turn of the Century).
Tower of Terror at least represents a once glamorous Hollywood and it's interior/exterior reflects that (even if it is aged). Also there are other problems with that street, like how come there is a WW2 Hamburger stand across from Snow White's 1937 world premier?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I think you have to accept that MGM is no longer set in the 1930s. It's set in the present day with various sets and a bunch of companies in support of creating entertainment. Of course, because it's Disney, magical things can happen on these sets, but it's still a series of soundstages with actors everywhere. We are just drawn into the division of entertainment explored--it will be very interesting to see how Toy Story Mania continues or breaks this trend. By the way, the new vacation planning video says the Tower of Terror is like being in a thriller--so that fits. Of course, they also called the building the "Hollywood Hotel" so it's not necessarily the official position on the ToT.

LoriMistress

My only thought is that WDW seems to be getting a lot of things second hand from DCA and DLR. Some examples include Soarin', Wishes, Midway Mania (planned for DCA first as I understand- even though both are under construction), and now Block Party Bash.

Don't worry...DCA is just a half-@ss rip off of all WDW parks combined.

mkepcotmgmak

I've seen both parades live, and I have to say, BPB is great - but I can't see it fitting in at MGM... I think with the whole "movie" theme, there is so much potential for a well-themed parade... have you ever seen DLP's Disney Studios' cinema parade? LIGHTS.... CAMERA... ACTION... ACTIONactionACTIONaction... i can see that parade coming here - or something like it but not bpb... (but if we do get bpb, it is a great high-energy parade).

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I've seen both parades live, and I have to say, BPB is great - but I can't see it fitting in at MGM... I think with the whole "movie" theme, there is so much potential for a well-themed parade... have you ever seen DLP's Disney Studios' cinema parade? LIGHTS.... CAMERA... ACTION... ACTIONactionACTIONaction... i can see that parade coming here - or something like it but not bpb... (but if we do get bpb, it is a great high-energy parade).
BPB may not fit in at MGM, but it would fit in at the Disney-Pixar Studios. At least we have over a year to stop calling it MGM...it'll need to be a 15-step program. You may need to change your user name...mkepcotpixarak has a certain ring to it...

S.E.A.

oh well...i guess the name change now officiates how the Studios is the worst park in WDW.... too bad, I really liked the old Hollywood theme, it was the parks on savign grace as a theme park. Now it;s gonna be jsut a dumping ground of californian leftovers

PKD

oh well...i guess the name change now officiates how the Studios is the worst park in WDW.... too bad, I really liked the old Hollywood theme, it was the parks on savign grace as a theme park. Now it;s gonna be jsut a dumping ground of californian leftovers

What "left overs"?? LMA came from Paris, Muppets was at MGM first and ToT was built here first as well...

mkepcotmgmak

BPB may not fit in at MGM, but it would fit in at the Disney-Pixar Studios. At least we have over a year to stop calling it MGM...it'll need to be a 15-step program. You may need to change your user name...mkepcotpixarak has a certain ring to it...

but - by changing it to disney-pixar - that's the same as mgm - it's still a movie themed park - do you think they would tear down the themeing of the 1940's Golden Hollywood Era just because of the Pixar name change? I can see them changing the animation courtyard to pixar - and redoing the animation studios there - and maybe taking all of the backlot tour for pixar stuff - but I would be the 1940's themeing on sunset and hollywood will be there... right?

mkepcotmgmak

What "left overs"?? LMA came from Paris, Muppets was at MGM first and ToT was built here first as well...

i agree that MGM is the park with the most opportunities right now, but for different reasons. MGM needs some new life in it - ToT and RnRc are GREAT - but let's balance the park out... Indy stunt is outdated, make an Indy dark ride or coaster or water rapids ride... VOTLM - WAY outdated - you can have a mermaid show - just change it, update it - it no longer wows anyone that I know - batb live is so old it hurts - i think with that movie and mermaid's successes - those two live shows deserve so much more - batb deserves a theater like the hyperion at dca.

star tours - i am a huge star wars fan - take that outdated ride out and give justice to one of the best legacies in all of movie-making history...

isn't the backlot tour just a joke, now? for me it is... and the animation studio ... well - you know, enough said. if they aren't going to have live animators there anymore, do something different - maybe incorporate how pixar makes movies...

the-reason14

I really do wish they added a couple of more roller coasters to disney. Why not at MGM. Could they somehow place the indy coaster from paris here or the one from DL there in place of the tired ole stunt show. I mean, the sky is the limit, these guys have been in this business for a long time, I have faith in them and hope that they do some great things with this park, bring something to it that has the wow factor and incredible theming as ToT and thrilling as Rrnr.

Xadllas

The Pixar studios thing is the worst idea I have heard in a long time. Lasster needs to be kicked from Imagineering and Rauslo(sp) needs to be thrown out of his postion. Pixar doesn't deserve its own park, its got enough rides and shows already. Did Walt Disney just base everything off what the public wanted or liked? No, if Disney Imagineers and etc. would get their heads out of what did well with audiences in the theaters and started to try some original attractions, stories it might help. The most famous attractions at Disney were and are the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Its a Small World, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, etc. Did they need some character to make them popular from a movie? No. People enjoyed and loved them without cheap half baked ideas. And Reason14 Disney is not about rollercoasters, go try Six Flags.

CTXRover

I think a Disney-Pixar name/rebranding would work fine, but I would prefer just calling it Walt Disney Studios (Florida). There is no need for the second name imo.

To rebrand it as a Disney-Pixar park, I think it will need more than one Pixar themed ride (Toy Story Mania) and the Pizza Planet themed counter service restaurant, even if they import or create a Block Party Bash-type parade for the park.

I would imagine if Pixar's name is attached to the park, the one big benefit would be getting Lasseter's attention on the Orlando-based theme parks. It will be interesting to see his influence at primarily fixing the still attendance weak DCA over the coming years. I know many DL forums place the man on a totem pole of greatness, but I haven't seen his influence yet (it is a bit too early since he joined Disney for his influence to be seen), but I now he is talented and detail-driven, so I'm hoping for the best. I know some say he is solely focused on the California parks, but his job description encompasses all of Imagineering (both Florida and CA) and I give the man more credit than believing he would (or even be allowed) to neglect the money-making machine that the Orlando-based parks are. I also can't imagine a man like him letting the Pixar name be slapped on for cosmetic reasons without at least some influential changes at the park, hopefully for the best.

I know some have mentioned it before, and I don't think it completely takes away from a potential "Disney-Pixar" name for the park, but Pixar's main movies are already represented in various forms at the other 3 WDW parks (Toy Story, Bug's Life, Monsters, Nemo) and it takes away the potential of even more rides based on these properties (even though two different parks will have Toy story and two different parks already have Nemo based attractions)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom