Black Panther

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s left a lot of theaters. I’m lucky enough that I could theoretically see it again if I wanted to, but the theater’s 40 minutes away and more expensive than the one in my town.

A WHOLE 40 minutes? That might take 30ish to get there!!🤡

I think the above poster that said wide release of 1900 screens still means that blu Ray isn’t the “only way” for cap

flynnibus

Premium Member
The advent of VHS, then DVD/Blu-Ray, and now Digital is definitely putting a large dent in how long films are in theaters. Now, the popularity of BP, combined with Infinity War, could keep it in the top 10 up until it’s released for home media, which in turn could have some record breaking numbers.

Volume and DVD is what changed it all... and now streaming is trying to fill in behind it.

Look at how many movies were released in 1980 vs 2017 :)
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/year/1980
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/year/2017

With more screens, we have more distribution and more ability to get more films out there. DVD was a gravy train for studios... huge sales and no theaters to split with. They kept moving the DVD releases up further and further to be able to ride on the tails of the movie marketing (I think). Now digital releases are coming sooner and sooner... looking to address multiple markets simultaneously.

Look at this graph... look how long it took for DVD release windows to shrink.. then look at digital's :)

release.jpg

the.dreamfinder

They kept moving the DVD releases up further and further to be able to ride on the tails of the movie marketing (I think). Now digital releases are coming sooner and sooner... looking to address multiple markets simultaneously.
That was part of it and the rise of piracy meant the studios didn’t want to lose money from in theater cam bootlegs. At the same time, small independent distributors like Magnolia introduced day and date releases 10-12 years ago because they didn’t have the ability to get their films into hundreds or thousands of screens because they distribute specialty product.

Princess Leia

Alright, so while some people may be noticing that BP is just $3 Million away from passing HP Deathly Hallows part 2 at the global box office, I am finding it more incredible that a film has made it this far at the BO with the majority of its total coming from the domestic side (US & Canada).
Like, look at this:
0C0B7E92-DAB8-42BA-BCF2-3365B4A37FF7.jpeg

The US just embraced this movie that features 1 (or 2, depending on how you feel about Erik) American character and spends maybe 7 minutes in America itself.

Rogue One (#25 at the box office, 50.4% domestic), The Dark Knight (#34 BO, 53.2% domestic), and Wonder Woman (#68 BO, 50.2% domestic) are the next closest comparisons, in case you’re wondering. For a film to do this well at the box office, and make most of its money in on the domestic side is pretty rare.

Princess Leia

It’s not looking like BP will make it past the #9 spot. While it might pass HP8 by Sunday, look what’s coming:
370041AE-A808-4DFF-9DE4-718D1BEF7F3F.jpeg

BP made $300K on Tuesday, and I’m assuming it will make about $400K between yesterday and today. With it being on digital release now, things are really going to slow down at the box office, but I still think it should still make about $1.5M-$2M this weekend. Infinity War, on the other hand, is only going to be in its third weekend, and have the bonus of the movie being released in China.

Princess Leia

Black Panther is currently about $1.3 Million away from making it to $700M at the domestic box office.
A8B7DAEB-B808-4832-A03C-D106AF42A906.jpeg

It’s incredibly close to being the only Marvel film to reach that milestone, but I’m not sure when that will occur. It’s now showing in 440 theaters, as opposed to 935 last weekend, and probably only has a month left before it leaves theaters. I think it will cross the $700M mark, maybe in 2 1/2 weeks.

Last edited:

seascape

Black Panther is currently about $1.3 Million away from making it to $700M at the domestic box office.View attachment 286490
It’s incredibly close to being the only Marvel film to reach that milestone, but I’m not sure when that will occur. It’s now showing in 440 theaters, as opposed to 935 last weekend, and probably only has a month left before it leaves theaters. I think it will cross the $700M mark, but maybe by the end of next week.
It is going to be hard to reach the 700 million. I hope it does and if any movie deserves it its Black Panther.

Princess Leia

It is going to be hard to reach the 700 million. I hope it does and if any movie deserves it its Black Panther.
This is what the daily box office has looked like over the past couple of weeks:
1527539634353.png

It's going to be difficult, but with most schools being out, maybe it will hold on and make it til the end. I'd really like it to reach that milestone, but it's running out of time.

WhatJaneSays

It's fairly likely it can make that mark. Black Panther has had the best late run returns of any Marvel Movie so far. Going into it's 15 week and it seems like it mostly hasn't rolled to the second run market. Typically, for standalone MCU movies, this is at the 14 week mark. However their theater retention rate is closer to Avengers 1 & 2 which had their theater number boost at 18 weeks. Black Panther will probably play 20-22 weeks. Making up 1.3 million in that time is pretty reasonable. Ant-Man made 1.4 million from it's 15th week to the end of it's run.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's fairly likely it can make that mark. Black Panther has had the best late run returns of any Marvel Movie so far. Going into it's 15 week and it seems like it mostly hasn't rolled to the second run market. Typically, for standalone MCU movies, this is at the 14 week mark. However their theater retention rate is closer to Avengers 1 & 2 which had their theater number boost at 18 weeks. Black Panther will probably play 20-22 weeks. Making up 1.3 million in that time is pretty reasonable. Ant-Man made 1.4 million from it's 15th week to the end of it's run.

but they've moved the digital release up on the film... and br. You can buy the disc today... compared to the release schedule of other films.

Ant man came out in July.. and was on BR in Dec. (6months) Panther came out mid feb and is already on disc now

Princess Leia

I just checked, and BP finally made it to the local second run theater. It probably won’t make much money there, as tickets are only $4.
I adjusted my prediction, I’m guessing now that it will take about 2 1/2 weeks to make the milestone.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This movie was really good. It wasn't perfect (yeah, I've seen the poke fun at it reviews)...but, I enjoyed it start to finish when I saw it. Which, wasn't until iTunes, but...I regret skipping it in theaters now.

That said, Black Panther was one of my favorite characters growing up, because he was so bad . So, like Wonder Woman, I was excited for the film. I skipped it because my grandfather died that same timeframe, and movies weren't really on my mind. Before I knew it, it was out of theaters.

I skipped Ragnarok for different reasons. I didn't really like the previous Thor movie all that much. It was, ok. Not bad, for sure...but...ok.

WhatJaneSays

but they've moved the digital release up on the film... and br. You can buy the disc today... compared to the release schedule of other films.

Ant man came out in July.. and was on BR in Dec. (6months) Panther came out mid feb and is already on disc now
BP came out for digital on May 8th and had made nearly 5 million at the box office since then, 2 million since it's May 15 disc release. It's week-to-week percentage is dropping at an expected rate post home release but it's still falling from a significantly higher starting point than typical. Few movies are making 100k+ in their 14th week BP made over a million.

The most recent similar late run preforming movie was Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle; also making over a million in it's 14th week. It's digital release was March 6th and made 10.5 million after that, disc release was on March 20th and made nearly 4 million after that.

Princess Leia

In its 17th weekend, BP made almost $250K domestically (I’m not sure if it’s continuing to make money on the international side), and it has passed $699 Million. As the domestic theater count has dropped to 284 theaters, I think the chance of hitting $700M is slim (it would have to make $900K in 3 weeks, the time I’m assuming it has left in theaters based on Ragnarok).
It’s definitely going to make more money than Infinity War at the domestic box office, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

BP is less than $200,000 away from $700,000,000 domestically... but only in 80 theaters. I’m sure Disney wants to get it past the mark, but with Ant-Man & the Wasp coming out this Friday, it probably won’t be in theaters much longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom