Black Panther

WhatJaneSays

BP is less than $200,000 away from $700,000,000 domestically... but only in 80 theaters. I’m sure Disney wants to get it past the mark, but with Ant-Man & the Wasp coming out this Friday, it probably won’t be in theaters much longer.
So close ... and yet so far! Math wise there is still a slight chance it could make it, but the weekly drops have to be unrealistically small for the 2-4 weeks it should have left. It would be nice for it to roll over that mark but I expect it's going to drop fast.

Princess Leia

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2443799/kevin-feige-talks-black-panthers-oscar-chances
I’m going to drop this in here as well.

Here are the categories I think Black Panther could be nominated and/or win in:

• Best Costume Design- Win
• Best Supporting Actor- Nominated (Michael B. Jordan)
• Best Supporting Actress- Nominated (either Lupita N’yongo or Danai Gurira)
• Best Film Editing- Nominated
• Best Makeup and Hairstyling- Win
• Best Original Score- Win
• Best Original Song- Win (for either All the Stars or Pray for Me)
• Best Production Design- Win
• Best Sound Editing- Nominated
• Best Sound Mixing- Nominated
• Best Visual Effects- Nominated
• Best Adapted Screenplay- Nominated
• Best Picture- Nominated (if it gets nominated, I highly doubt it will win, but a girl can dream)

WhatJaneSays

Just heard through the grapevine that Black Panther is expanding its theaters to 150+ this weekend in hopes they can get it above the 700m mark. So if you missed it or want to catch it again on the big screen it might be playing again near you.

Princess Leia

Just heard through the grapevine that Black Panther is expanding its theaters to 150+ this weekend in hopes they can get it above the 700m mark. So if you missed it or want to catch it again on the big screen it might be playing again near you.
It’s so freaking close to the 700m mark, it’s almost a little infuriating. Box Office Mojo is estimating it’s all time domestic total (including this weekend) at 699,931,862. It would probably have to be in theaters for another 2-3 weeks to make it

seascape

Black Panther is climbing and only needs $56,694 more to reach the 700 million mark. It looks like Disney is going to make me wrong and will make it. This is one movie I hope to be proven wrong on. If any movie deserves to reach such s lofty level it is BP. It was a great movie and I totally enjoyed it.

Princess Leia

I’m wondering if Disney will put it back in theaters for a week around the Christmas holidays (before Poppins though). If Disney wants to make a push for the Oscars (especially best picture and best supporting actor- I think Michael B. Jordan has a shot at that one), and it hasn’t made it to the $700m mark, it’s not the worst idea. Throw in a 5 minute sneak peak of Captain Marvel and enough people might come out for it.

Princess Leia

I’m on the pessimistic side of it making $700M on the initial run now. While it’s under the $50k mark now, it has more competition, and it’s been available to buy or rent since May. Plus I’m not sure if this is true, but Box Office Mojo is showing that it’s only in 15 theaters now (in the push last week, it was in 154 theaters).

I think I’m going to stick with my theory/guess that Disney will rerelease it around the time that Oscar nominations are being decided, with a preview for Captain Marvel.

DisneyFreak

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2443799/kevin-feige-talks-black-panthers-oscar-chances
I’m going to drop this in here as well.

Here are the categories I think Black Panther could be nominated and/or win in:

• Best Costume Design- Win
• Best Supporting Actor- Nominated (Michael B. Jordan)
• Best Supporting Actress- Nominated (either Lupita N’yongo or Danai Gurira)
• Best Film Editing- Nominated
• Best Makeup and Hairstyling- Win
• Best Original Score- Win
• Best Original Song- Win (for either All the Stars or Pray for Me)
• Best Production Design- Win
• Best Sound Editing- Nominated
• Best Sound Mixing- Nominated
• Best Visual Effects- Nominated
• Best Adapted Screenplay- Nominated
• Best Picture- Nominated (if it gets nominated, I highly doubt it will win, but a girl can dream)

While I would love to see this, I don't think it's going to happen for any acting noms or Best Picture. The other categories definitely have a shot. The Academy just doesn't like big block busters or superhero movies.

Princess Leia

While I would love to see this, I don't think it's going to happen for any acting noms or Best Picture. The other categories definitely have a shot. The Academy just doesn't like big block busters or superhero movies.
Of all the actors, Michael B Jordan has the best shot for being nominated for best supporting actor. Remember- that was the award that Heath Ledger won for the Joker, so anhthing is possible here.

Also, the Academy has added lots of new members over the past two years due to the backlash of only ‘highbrow’ films being nominated. Viewership of the awards is going down. Black Panther being nominated in any major category would bring in viewers like Titanic did.

I don’t think it would win best picture if nominated, but Get Out was nominated last year too, and it didn’t fall into any typical Oscar genres.

Last edited:

seascape

I’m on the pessimistic side of it making $700M on the initial run now. While it’s under the $50k mark now, it has more competition, and it’s been available to buy or rent since May. Plus I’m not sure if this is true, but Box Office Mojo is showing that it’s only in 15 theaters now (in the push last week, it was in 154 theaters).

I think I’m going to stick with my theory/guess that Disney will rerelease it around the time that Oscar nominations are being decided, with a preview for Captain Marvel.
It's down to 15 screens according to Boxofficemojo.com so it's going to be almost to get there. Now I have no idea if college organizations still offer movies on different campuses like they did it could and 46,564 is so so close it has to make it. Disney needs to reach out to some organizations to reach 700. The could even have DVC buy out a few theaters at Disney Springs and invite a few thousand members.

Princess Leia

Since it was a Thursday, it must have opened up in new theaters, either as a re-release in select markets or the second-run.
It was down to 15 theaters this past week, so I’m curious as to how many it’s in now. I was watching it this week from my own home, still love it. I’m eagerly awaiting getting Infinity War so I can make a day of watching BP, Ragnarok, and IW- the three best films of Phase 3 (at this time).

Edit- So Box Office Mojo is reporting that on Thursday, it was still in 15 theaters, but that doesn’t seem to account for the massive jump at the box office (it went from $400 to $12,600). In other news, it’s 8 days away from passing GotG for ‘days in theaters’ (GotG was in theaters for 175 days).

Last edited:

Princess Leia

It made an estimated $16,000... in 25 theaters.

It didn’t even make this much on a Friday when they pushed it in over 100 theaters a couple weeks ago. My guess is that there was a push in the IMAX theaters to get it over the $700M mark?

seascape

It didn’t even make this much on a Friday when they pushed it in over 100 theaters a couple weeks ago. My guess is that there was a push in the IMAX theaters to get it over the $700M mark?
That is great. Based on that estimate, it only needs another 15k and if Thursday and Friday are any indication it looks like 700 million can be reached this weekend. In any case I say it listed 2 showings a day through next Thursday in East Providence so it will make it by the end of next week.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If I was the director, I'd be buying out all the seats in those theaters and handing them out to charity. :)

Lensman

I was actually looking for a news story about cast or crew doing just that, couldn’t find anything though from this week.
I was wondering about this as well, but I did find that it is playing at a bunch of IMAX theaters in early September for the Marvel's 10th special where they seem to be playing all the MCU movies, it isn't playing anywhere I can find this weekend.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom