Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, some of us thought it had a potential to beat the first one based on the initial reactions to the trailers. Whether some thought that unrealistic or not well they are entitled to that opinion just as those that thought it could potentially beat the first one.
The lack of boseman made it a tough hill to climb…but also there is a slowing of momentum with marvel…that was bound to happen at some point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That and being the final movie 2.5 months before Infinity War. I really think that gets overlooked with the original Black Panther movie a lot.
Well they ended up “rolling over” Downey, evans, boseman (not intentional) and Johansson…

The idea that you can do that and go more out to the fringes without a blip doesn’t really make sense now…nor did it then. Virus or not.

There have been super hero movies franchises - mostly DC - in the past that were huge…then they fade. It’s ebb and flow.

The 1989 Batman was ridiculously big…in a summer that had 3 gigantic sequels out…
But it faded. Same with the character after the nolan movies. Superman lost its steam in the 80’s.

These things rotate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The lack of boseman made it a tough hill to climb…but also there is a slowing of momentum with marvel…that was bound to happen at some point.
I agree it was a tough hill to climb with not just Boseman gone but also world events, but I thought it was possible. And had all this happened pre-2020 (even with Boseman gone) its possible it could have really happened.

I still don't agree there is an overall "slowing momentum with Marvel". We saw that this year alone that the MCU added $4.4B in box office across only 4 movies. Sure not every movie is breaking the box office. And yes I will say that some of the individual movies have performed lower post End Game than what at least I expected, but I don't see that as slowing. So to me that doesn't mean that the overall MCU is on a downward trend, at least currently. Just Spider-Man:NWH alone shows that when there is a MCU movie that is on an Avengers level type film that people show up.

To me what I see happening overall is that with the transition to streaming some of the public has decided that not every MCU film needs to be seen in theaters. And yes some in the public have even decided that not every MCU film needs to be seen at all, so they pop in and out as they wish. Does that equate to an overall slowing or "super hero fatigue" (something I've been hearing for over a decade), currently I say no.

Phase 5 is going to make it clear what Phase 4 was building leading into the 2 Avenger movies coming in Phase 6. The MCU works best when there is a "big bad" that everyone can get behind the "heros" defeating. That is going to become clear starting with Quantumania when Kang is more widely known as that "big bad".

So we'll see what happens over the next couple years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Question: who is in the avengers?

Who hasn't been in the avengers.
Plenty of combos/characters to pull from the comics

Any someone who’s 26 and hasn’t done cosplay wants to see?
And that is what will become clear in Phase 5 and the first part of Phase 6.

But if we go based off of Phase 4 it looks to be, at least starting out:

Shang-Chi
Hulk
She-Hulk
Hawk-Eye (both Clint and Kate)
Ant-Man (depending on the events of Quantumania), Stature, and Wasp
Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Captain America (Falcon)
Thor and Love
Dr Strange

Still on the board that could possibly be added in Phase 5/6:

Blade
Deadpool
F4
Guardians and Thunderbolts such as Starlord, Bucky, and Black Widow (Yelana)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How would I know ?
I haven't done cosplay nor am I 26.
There are plenty that I would like to see.
The old characters have had their story told. Time to let it go dude.

And that is what will become clear in Phase 5 and the first part of Phase 6.

But if we go based off of Phase 4 it looks to be, at least starting out:

Shang-Chi
Hulk
She-Hulk
Hawk-Eye (both Clint and Kate)
Ant-Man (depending on the events of Quantumania), Stature, and Wasp
Captain Marvel
Ms. Marvel
Captain America (Falcon)
Thor and Love
Dr Strange

Still on the board that could possibly be added in Phase 5/6:

Blade
Deadpool
F4
Guardians and Thunderbolts such as Starlord, Bucky, and Black Widow (Yelana)
I give feige a lot of credit for taking a niche genre and giving it main stream appeal…

But the source is still niche…especially as you ride the ripples out from the splash point.

These movies are certainly not “over performing”…maybe not declining…but it’s hard to argue they haven’t at least leveled off.

We’ll see it play. I’m never right about movies…so you got that going for you…

What I think is glossed is how well the characters and actors developed in the first 10 or so movies. It had depth and wasn’t Rushed. Particularly the captain America arc…and they sorely miss that now. It’s become some CG and cameo attack of the clones type stuff now…more than you want. The films this year have kinda become a cameo mess…

So we’re gonna see it. It’s not about just slapping “avengers” on whoever. The last two good development movies were BP and Captain Marvel…and the bookies hate her on another plane.

I still think X Is the way.

Guardians will do well…after that you have a lot of loose ends mixed bags on the books.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I give feige a lot of credit for taking a niche genre and giving it main stream appeal…

But the source is still niche…especially as you ride the ripples out from the splash point.

These movies are certainly not “over performing”…maybe not declining…but it’s hard to argue they haven’t at least leveled off.

We’ll see it play. I’m never right about movies…so you got that going for you…

What I think is glossed is how well the characters and actors developed in the first 10 or so movies. It had depth and wasn’t Rushed. Particularly the captain America arc…and they sorely miss that now. It’s become some CG and cameo attack of the clones type stuff now…more than you want. The films this year have kinda become a cameo mess…

So we’re gonna see it. It’s not about just slapping “avengers” on whoever. The last two good development movies were BP and Captain Marvel…and the bookies hate her on another plane.

I still think X Is the way.

Guardians will do well…after that you have a lot of loose ends mixed bags on the books.
So lets just get this out the way, X-Men (or whatever team name they decide for the MCU) are coming. It might even be hinted at as part of Phase 5/6. If I was to guess the next Saga after this Multiverse Saga wraps up will be the Mutant Saga, so that'll be Phase 7,8, and 9. And that will hopefully be capped off with an Avengers vs X-Men movie at the end of Phase 9. And if that comes true that will be the MCU movie that could seriously rival and surpass Endgame if Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars don't.

Also as @MisterPenguin stated, every character in Marvel has been on one of the Avengers teams at some point. So yeah they can actually just slap "Avengers" on whoever, because that's just how the stories roll. For example we're going to start seeing a lot more anti-heros coming into the MCU, and they are going to be added to the Avengers team to be able to battle Kang.

Also I don't think you give the source comics the respect they deserve. They are a lot more mainstream now then you realize, and yes the MCU is partially responsible for this. Its no longer as niche as you believe it is. This is not the 70s and 80s, its no longer isolated to the readers living in their parents basement.

TP2000

Were people really expecting this to top the first movie? That would be shocking for a sequel, especially one without its lead character.

After a quick scan of this thread, apparently so.

My guess was 25-33% lower than Black Panther, that would be around $900 million to a billion, not sure it’ll quite get there but it’s in the ballpark.

And yet the production budget for Wakanda Forever grew to $250 Million, fifty million more than its original 4 years ago. That made its uphill climb to profitability even steeper. Speaking of profit...

The box office numbers are in for yesterday, the last day that Wakanda Forever has the box office all to itself. Avatar has already opened overseas, and is starting its first showings this afternoon in the USA.

Here's where that domestic box office stands today, and compares with other Marvel films in the last year and the original Black Panther '18 plus Top Gun and Spiderman for '22 reference points.

TomCruiseIsStillShort.jpg

Reported Production Budget... $250,000,000

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

After a quick scan of this thread, apparently so.

And yet the production budget for Wakanda Forever grew to $250 Million, fifty million more than its original 4 years ago. That made its uphill climb to profitability even steeper. Speaking of profit...

The box office numbers are in for yesterday, the last day that Wakanda Forever has the box office all to itself. Avatar has already opened overseas, and is starting its first showings this afternoon in the USA.

Here's where that domestic box office stands today, and compares with other Marvel films in the last year and the original Black Panther '18 plus Top Gun and Spiderman for '22 reference points.

View attachment 685672
It’s amazing how well Spider-Man did, it shows there’s still a huge ceiling for the right movie. Same with Top Gun 2, the fact it did so well makes me wonder if Avatar 2 will also have a huge box office, with the current uncertainty in the theater market I could see it hitting a billion but I could also see it flopping. I have no idea how they forecast movies now.

_caleb

So lets just get this out the way, X-Men (or whatever team name they decide for the MCU) are coming. It might even be hinted at as part of Phase 5/6. If I was to guess the next Saga after this Multiverse Saga wraps up will be the Mutant Saga, so that'll be Phase 7,8, and 9. And that will hopefully be capped off with an Avengers vs X-Men movie at the end of Phase 9. And if that comes true that will be the MCU movie that could seriously rival and surpass Endgame if Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars don't.

Also as @MisterPenguin stated, every character in Marvel has been on one of the Avengers teams at some point. So yeah they can actually just slap "Avengers" on whoever, because that's just how the stories roll. For example we're going to start seeing a lot more anti-heros coming into the MCU, and they are going to be added to the Avengers team to be able to battle Kang.

Also I don't think you give the source comics the respect they deserve. They are a lot more mainstream now then you realize, and yes the MCU is partially responsible for this. Its no longer as niche as you believe it is. This is not the 70s and 80s, its no longer isolated to the readers living in their parents basement.
Love this post, and I agree. Only thing I'm wondering is if they can afford to wait that long to introduce X-Men (and integrate the mutant storyline). The multiverse seemed slow-walked (for some very good reasons) almost to the point of frustrating fans.

TP2000

It’s amazing how well Spider-Man did, it shows there’s still a huge ceiling for the right movie. Same with Top Gun 2, the fact it did so well makes me wonder if Avatar 2 will also have a huge box office, with the current uncertainty in the theater market I could see it hitting a billion but I could also see it flopping.

Spiderman and Top Gun Maverick were obviously the movies that America wanted and needed in the past year.

I imagine Avatar 2 will have a great first weekend, there's clearly huge interest in it. Where it goes from there is a mystery to me, as that three hour plus run time seems like a problem if the story and plot isn't very good and it just relies on alien visuals and 3D gimmicks to keep the audience entertained.

It seems to me that after the 1 hour mark, you better darn well have a story and plot that the audience is enthralled by, once the computer wizardry and 3D novelty wears off.

I have no idea how they forecast movies now.

Me either! Hollywood seems to be a very mysterious business.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Your a fan…I get it.

We can all postulate.

Mine is they’re gonna have to reverse course a bit and pay the actors ransom as they try and maintain juice. Just an assumption after spending a few years on the planet…

You’ve got 45 more movies queue up in just this post.

So you’re taking the “over” and I’m taking the “under”

Good discussion either way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom