Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

dreamscometrue

In general, I'm encouraged by most of the lengthy refurbishments the past few years (Splash being well restored, Big Thunder getting the gysers, etc. finally working again and Pirates 2015 refurb, for example).

WDWLover#1

So far I think George has been better that Crofton woman. Refurbs have seemed to be more frequent and he seems to know what the resort needs. I mean, under Meg, I don't think the new parade would've been added. Or the refurbs.

cwoms197

I hope we get the pluses train sound effects that Disneyland has. Ours are there just really low. Also look at how quickly universal studios is redoing The Hulk coaster. If they can dismantle and reassemble that thing that quick, and completely returns in a year, Space Mountain could definitely do it, I believe.

WDWLover#1

I hope we get the pluses train sound effects that Disneyland has. Ours are there just really low. Also look at how quickly universal studios is redoing The Hulk coaster. If they can dismantle and reassemble that thing that quick, and completely returns in a year, Space Mountain could definitely do it, I believe.
With the exception that Space Mountain is enclosed - you can't fit a crane in there. But yes they should easily relay track in a year for a rollercoaster, but you're relying on Disney construction.

So give it five years ;)

Major bummer! headed to world on april 29. Big Thunder was closed last year during same time. With Soarin down also our twins and family's 2 favorite rides will be missed. BTM is probably as a whole our entire family's fav. meaning we haven't been able to ride it since 2014. Gees!!!!

UpAllNight

I think it's great that the resort is finally getting the attention it needs.

On a purely selfish note, I fear Space is next and will be out of action for most of 2017, and my next trip.

Progress.City

Is it getting the new ending or not? I don't have time to read over seven pages. In fact, someone should sticky the answer toward the top of this thread for the convenience of others who want to know the same answer.

ToTBellHop

Is it getting the new ending or not? I don't have time to read over seven pages. In fact, someone should sticky the answer toward the top of this thread for the convenience of others who want to know the same answer.
I know it is getting upgrades though I don't specifically know if the dynamite finale is included. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on yes. The queue updates support more explosions and it'd be pretty cheap to add since they've already done it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know it is getting upgrades though I don't specifically know if the dynamite finale is included. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on yes. The queue updates support more explosions and it'd be pretty cheap to add since they've already done it.
Not to mention Paris - which has a virtually identical third lift - is currently getting it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What's the difference between BTM in DL vs. WDW?

WDW is red, DL is yellow:

image.png

As you can see WDW is based closely on the 1979 original with a few little changes in layout.

Last edited:

dreamscometrue

I think from watching Martins videos I remember him saying it was almost identical other then the track being mirrored. I think there was a couple different banks. Mostly scenery is a little different.
And I think they are also inspired by different rock formations...Bryce Canyon at DL versus Monument Valley at WDW. Or something like that :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom