Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The effect was very simple. They were known as the "Free Falling Rocks".

Five pairs of vertical rods - two on the left and three on the right- line the sides of the walls between the rock work at the crest of the lift. Each rod had a horizontal stick attached sticking out into the "false track" scene above the ride path. At the end of each stick was a lightweight "rock". They literally dropped down the rods - albeit controlled - with a slight deceleration before reaching the bottom. They then reset before the next train arrived.

If you look carefully today just before passing under the false track level some of the vertical rods are still visible:

image.jpeg

Combined with animated lighting projection, moving shadows from the falling rocks, the bulging walls and shaking lamps the effect was quite realistic.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

The effect was very simple. They were known as the "Free Falling Rocks".

Five pairs of vertical rods - two on the left and three on the right- line the sides of the walls between the rock work at the crest of the lift. Each rod had a horizontal stick attached sticking out into the "false track" scene above the ride path. At the end of each stick was a lightweight "rock". They literally dropped down the rods - albeit controlled - with a slight deceleration before reaching the bottom. They then reset before the next train arrived.

If you look carefully today just before passing under the false track level some of the vertical rods are still visible:

View attachment 126059

Combined with animated lighting projection, moving shadows from the falling rocks, the bulging walls and shaking lamps the effect was quite realistic.
Personally, I thought the old falling rock effect at Thunder looked cheesy. The new effect in Disneyland is a better effect, but I'd love to see a bigger explosion at the end.

matt9112

Even back in the early-mid 90's, BTM's track in Orlando was feeling a bit rough (and that was back when maintenance was actually competent). I also rode Paris' at the time when it was still new and it was incredibly smooth by comparison. I'm assuming no major track work has been done to WDW's in decades, could definitely use a track replacement. Disneyland recently got one apparently, so WDW could stand one as well.

While BTM could be smoother, i'd be far more worried about Space Mountain. At least Big Thunder doesn't feel like it's going to collapse at any moment...

The roughness of space mountain adds to the thrill. :)

andre85

Personally, I thought the old falling rock effect at Thunder looked cheesy. The new effect in Disneyland is a better effect, but I'd love to see a bigger explosion at the end.

I'm pretty sure they toned down the explosion. I remember going on it when it was new and the smoke cloud filled most of the cavern. Now it's like a little puff

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Space need 2 years. Basically, everything besides the skin of the mountain needs to go.

Remember that kind of refurb WAS scheduled for WDW's SM and killed at the last minute by Georgie K, and Phil H. If you are there when the work lights are on you can see where the fabricators marked up the structure for demo and refitting.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, the top of the mountain needs a good sandblast and clean job as well; but, the whole ride needs to be gutted to bring it back to some semblance of being a worthy Disney mountain.

Park ops will have a hard time allowing an E offline for the multi year job it needs... but, maybe that's where Frontierland's expansion could come in to help.

Anyway, I look forward to the new projection mapped finale on BTM in the swamps. It's great in Anaheim.

Or you CAN do it in 6 months or so if you have three shifts of crews working the project.

HMF

Remember that kind of refurb WAS scheduled for WDW's SM and killed at the last minute by Georgie K, and Phil H. If you are there when the work lights are on you can see where the fabricators marked up the structure for demo and refitting.
Georgie K was in Paris at the time thus had nothing to do with the 09 Space Mountain half-baked refurb. blame goes to Phil H for cutting the budget and Meg Crofton for letting him.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Georgie K was in Paris at the time this had nothing to do with the 09 Space Mountain half-baked refurb.

Phll Holmes definitely did. Along with installing the leaky tubs in PoTC which DL rejected (probably BECAUSE they leaked), So who was in Georgie K's shoes in 09?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom