Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

mcjaco

That was me. I was told by an agent it was taken down on the 28th, and it has not appeared on her list at all, since.

I'm also taking this info with a grain of salt....but who knows.

me_stitch

Premium Member
My daughter is going to be so mad, we'll be in DW August 13th through the 19th. She hasn't been to DW since 2011 and when we went to DL in 2013 BTMRR was closed for a refurb and it's her favorite ride. Might have to move the trip up a week or two.

tirian

My daughter is going to be so mad, we'll be in DW August 13th through the 19th. She hasn't been to DW since 2011 and when we went to DL in 2013 BTMRR was closed for a refurb and it's her favorite ride. Might have to move the trip up a week or two.
Could you possibly move the trip to a time after the ride reopens? The finale in DL is impressive; and since WDW's BTMRR already has more extensive scenery, the new finale will make it the better one on American soil. Your daughter will love it.

doctornick

But we may. We really may.

Isn't it nice when you get to wear your older brother's old shirts?

I never really understand why DL seems to get upgrades/updates either before WDW or exclusively. Does it have to do with local management (TDA vs TDO) or is P&R leadership at Burbank just more willing to approve such things for DL due to proximity?

me_stitch

Premium Member
Could you possibly move the trip to a time after the ride reopens? The finale in DL is impressive; and since WDW's BTMRR already has more extensive scenery, the new finale will make it the better one on American soil. Your daughter will love it.
With sports and school (she'll be a senior next year), August is the only month we can squeeze in a trip, I'll probably just move our trip up a week so we can get in a ride or two before it closes. Do you know if Soarin will be done by August?

tirian

With sports and school (she'll be a senior next year), August is the only month we can squeeze in a trip, I'll probably just move our trip up a week so we can get in a ride or two before it closes. Do you know if Soarin will be done by August?
It's supposed to open a week after Shanghai DL.

MerlinTheGoat

The mountain is currently covered in scaffolding, so definitely some exterior cosmetic work (paint and whatnot) is happening.

WDW1974 mentioned last year that WDW would get Disneyland's new effects sometime this year. While that plan may have changed, i'd be surprised if it didn't get them. The new effects don't seem complex, difficult or time consuming to install (or even expensive). They honestly look like something that could be installed within a week without even closing the ride (during third shift). Just some digital mapping and/or fiber optics mixed with smoke for the third lift. And the bats flap their wings now (not complicated animatronics by any stretch).

Paris is also getting the effects apparently. I realize both DL and DLP variants of the ride were closed far longer than WDW's, but they're addressing more serious structure/rebuilding/track work.

It would be truly pathetic if they don't add the new effects. Even I think they probably will, and i'm far from a WDW optimist lately...

EDIT- If they're refurbing the mountains for the 50th however, I hope that includes Space Mountain. I won't even ride that anymore as it's gotten so awful. Splash Mountain on the other hand seems to have been kept in decent to good condition for the last several years. It got a huge overhaul a while back, including a new paint job and massive fixes to all the animatronics and such. Still looks pretty darn good overall (I do find an occasional missing or non-working AA, but it seems maintenance related as they return fairly quickly).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom