Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

WDWFantasmicFan

Just checking in for confirmation and opinions here, but are the new dates of July - November official? I've checked the Disney World website and can find nothing that confirms or denies the rehab dates. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have a trip coming up in September with a partner who will literally cry uncontrollably and ask if we can change our vacation plans if BTM is closed, so I want to be completely sure before I break the news.
We're the same - going in late-August/early-September, and would certainly miss BTM if it is closed. Can't change our travel dates - but would be a shame not to experience such a great ride! A couple of other sites are reporting similar dates, but others aren't reporting anything at all. Haven't heard anything official from Disney myself... Hope you have a magical trip anyway (whether BTM is open or not!!)

Den Carter

We're the same - going in late-August/early-September, and would certainly miss BTM if it is closed. Can't change our travel dates - but would be a shame not to experience such a great ride! A couple of other sites are reporting similar dates, but others aren't reporting anything at all. Haven't heard anything official from Disney myself... Hope you have a magical trip anyway (whether BTM is open or not!!)

Thanks, and you too! Personally I'll be very sad if BTM is closed, but my other half will literally be inconsolable! Still be an awesome trip, though. Fingers crossed...

allgiggles

Just checking in for confirmation and opinions here, but are the new dates of July - November official? I've checked the Disney World website and can find nothing that confirms or denies the rehab dates. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have a trip coming up in September with a partner who will literally cry uncontrollably and ask if we can change our vacation plans if BTM is closed, so I want to be completely sure before I break the news.

I don't know that Disney will make an "official" announcement. But if you go to the operational calendar at the Disney website and put in any date between now and the end of June, BTMRR will show the hours it's open (when a week or two ago it showed as "closed for refurbishment" during those dates). Pick a date in July and it says "hours unavailable". Pick a date in August and it says "closed for refurbishment". You can't access the September calendar yet. I think it's safe to say it's going to close some time in August and be closed for a few months. That's about as an official of an announcement as you'll get from Disney.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/

KLinder7

I have made FPs for dates in April that were originally blocked off, so it's "official."

Den Carter

allgiggles and KLinder7, thanks for the info. I 'liked' your posts even though I don't like what they're saying! o_O But I appreciate your help!

KLinder7

allgiggles and KLinder7, thanks for the info. I 'liked' your posts even though I don't like what they're saying! o_O But I appreciate your help!
I hear you. One of my favorite rides and was sad when it was originally down during my upcoming trip. But think how awesome it will be when you see it next time and there will be some other new stuff for you to enjoy across the parks while it is down for refurb.

Den Carter

I hear you. One of my favorite rides and was sad when it was originally down during my upcoming trip. But think how awesome it will be when you see it next time and there will be some other new stuff for you to enjoy across the parks while it is down for refurb.

You're a true gent for your optimistic spin! Thanks again :)

kbmb

Going mid-August so these new dates are a bummer :( Oh well, nothing you can do. Let's hope no other major MK rides go down during this time.

-Kevin

Prince Thomas

That's annoying!!!! When I'm there August 27-September 2 this will be down for refurb and so will IASW. Not to mention HS is like half a park now....but they know how to raise ticket prices like its oil <SMH>

This is about the time we go each year, so it makes me glad that we are going to Disneyland this year! With BTM closed at MK, Frozen opening in Epcot (thus making the World Showcase crowds even more unbearable), and Hollywood Studios being half closed, it wouldn't be a good year to go to the Worlds!

kbmb

That's annoying!!!! When I'm there August 27-September 2 this will be down for refurb and so will IASW. Not to mention HS is like half a park now....but they know how to raise ticket prices like its oil <SMH>

Where do you see IASW will be down?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it on Intercot. Weird it's not listed here.

-Kevin

Jon81uk

What needs to be refurbed? Wasn't it just done??

It was 2012 so four years ago.

Most parks that have seasonal operation close November to March so they have 3-4 months to refurb rides. Most things get a short refurb every closed season at a seasonal park.

So Disney doing a 3 month long closure every four months is still less maintenance than many other coasters will get.

Other difference of course is most parks make more effort to maintain the ride and don't care about theming as much, Disney put more effort into plussing theming when they can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom