Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

Tom

Beta Return
For decades, Disney Cast Members were instructed to watch out for guests because they "checked their brains at the gate." This was in the actual literature handed out to CMs.

FastPass seems obvious to you. It seems obvious to me. Well, so does the fact that the fireworks are behind Small World and that the 3:00 parade arrives at the hub from 3:20-3:50. But it's far from obvious for an infrequent visitor.

Your first paragraph is hilarious. I had no idea!

As for the obviousness of FastPass, you're spot on (if you're referring to the point that someone made that "everyone knows it exists"). I've witnessed countless people trying to figure out what the kiosks were for, or asking CMs where the Fastpass ride was.

I don't know the statistics, but on any given day, there are hundreds or thousands of first-time guests in the parks. Unless they did their homework, it's not likely that they even have a clue that FP exists. And they definitely don't know the (lack of) rules. They see the time block, and they return during that time.

Now, if they could just go back to that system, everyone could live in harmony once again.

I_heart_Tigger

Personally I've never found it difficult to return within the Fastpass window. It's not like you're given a 5 minute window to return, you have an hour and with the new system you now have an hour and 20 minutes.

I figure if I can't return within that time then I don't get to use my free Fastpass - no big deal :shrug:

It's not like I wasn't warned when I got the Fastpass when I would have to come back - if I saw it interfered with my dining times I just didn't get it.

I understand this may affect how some people use the system but really won't affect a lot of people who either don't need to use their Fastpass outside the posted times or who simply thought that the posted times actually meant something.

I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal that some people think it will be but I guess we'll all just wait and see.

Rasvar

For decades, Disney Cast Members were instructed to watch out for guests because they "checked their brains at the gate." This was in the actual literature handed out to CMs.

This is true of anyone on vacation. I worked a summer at Yellowstone National Park. Guests check their brain there too. Dumbest thing I saw was a family moving to put their kid on a bison. Dumber things did happen. I did see a couple of folks come running in with 3rd degree burns from putting their hand in the thermal features. People don't think on vacation.

Tom

Beta Return
I figure if I can't return within that time then I don't get to use my free Fastpass - no big deal :shrug:

It's not like I wasn't warned when I got the Fastpass when I would have to come back - if I saw it interfered with my dining times I just didn't get it.

This is my favorite point in the entire argument for or against the rules. If the time printed on your Fastpass was a surprise, that would be one thing. But you know exactly what "reservation" you're getting as soon as you walk up. If you don't like the time or think it won't work for your schedule, don't get one.

RSoxNo1

So this enforcement is undoubtedly linked to the new xPass system which we really don't know much about. It's inception likely gives them a logical time frame to to change a policy. While enforcing the return times should have always existed, it's not the greater issue here.

I think there's still some unknowns on xPass. Perhaps Lee or Spirit can chime in:
  • Is xPass the actual title, or is it a working title?
  • Will this only be limited to Deluxe Resort Guests, or is that just for the initial role out?
  • What is the price point per guest to use xPass?
  • Will this be limited to, or be a perk of conceirge level guests?

Some other things that can be considered here - Disney is adding all of these amazing next gen technology things, yet some simple adaptations likely aren't involved that are all related to Fastpass/xPass.

• Why can't the standby times be correct? Disney knows the ride capacity, and can determine how many people are actually in the Standby and Fastpass line. Sensors at the entrance to the attarction and at the load gates will give an easy count of the guests in the queue.
  • Why can't the wait times and Fastpass distribution times be accurately reflected on tip boards throughout the parks and on in park Smart Phone Applications?
  • We should have centralized Fastpass distribution areas with touch screens that allow you to choose your attraction and available return time.

I know that they recently hired someone from TouringPlans.com, but realistically, TouringPlans does a better job with wait time information than Disney does, and they have access to far less information.

Tom

Beta Return
Some other things that can be considered here - Disney is adding all of these amazing next gen technology things, yet some simple adaptations likely aren't involved that are all related to Fastpass/xPass.

• Why can't the standby times be correct? Disney knows the ride capacity, and can determine how many people are actually in the Standby and Fastpass line. Sensors at the entrance to the attarction and at the load gates will give an easy count of the guests in the queue.
  • Why can't the wait times and Fastpass distribution times be accurately reflected on tip boards throughout the parks and on in park Smart Phone Applications?
  • We should have centralized Fastpass distribution areas with touch screens that allow you to choose your attraction and available return time.

I've often wondered the same thing about the wait times. But you have to consider that several of their queues are variable-length. If they open up a set of switchbacks, the guest capacity changes instantly. They'd spend too much time updating the program to keep track of the queue length. So, unfortunately, their current method really is the best one...for now.

But there's no reason the MK can't have an automated tip board, much like Epcot. And there's no reason they can't push them out through an app, like you mentioned.

I also agree with the central FP kiosk. A little more time spent working on the code for the backend software, and they could offer significantly more Fastpasses, offer them through various distribution methods, and still maintain acceptable Standby and FP queue waits.

It's just like the bus dispatch system. They have an incredible tool at their fingertips, but they don't put in the time or money to utilize the systems to their full potential.

puntagordabob

It's that car ride at Epcot right? No wait...that's Fast Track. My mistake.

Haha I cannot even remember HOW many times I have heard people in the parks talk about Fast Track! :)

It may we be that the reason for more 101's in DL is because of a different operating standard. Something that causes a closure in DL could very well remain broken while the ride continues to run at WDW.

Case in point: The finale riverboat in splash. No way the attraction stays open like that in DL, while at WDW it was open for days in that condition.

Sad at the fact that this is probably true. :(

Too bad. That's your job. Disney placates too many "rule-breakers" as it is simply to avoid being confrontational. Guests get upset when they don't get their way, and the truth is they don't always deserve to get their way. This is a free service. They can get over it.

Again, that's their problem. The FP return time is CLEARLY stated before you even get a FP, so it's their own fault for getting the FP they might not make because they have a reservation too close to the return window. As far as getting upset with the CM, perhaps Disney should staff security or a manager at each FP entrance until the policy is more settled.

Seriously? Not sure if you intended this but your words seem like a tongue lashing towards the poster you quoted.

Anyways, my take on this is that the return windows are not selectable is an issue.... on many instances the window printed hits during our Dinner Reservations. The reality is that under the current system people can still get a FP and ride it after their dinner with No Worries. With the new system the reality is that this family (and it is even more tragic if this is a once in a lifetime trip) may not realisticly have an opportunity to ride the attraction.

A Simple solution would be to allow the FP user to select a window equal to their earliest eligible time or to pick a later period (and as each of those later window times fills to capacity you make that particular time disappear from the list). Sadly this would require all new FP machines with touchscreen tech to really be implemented...and I am not certain WDW would do that.

Anyways, I agree with a lot of other posters that this will be a negative drag upon a lot of families.... BUT as a Local this may actually be good for us since I suspect this may actually shorten the Standby lines later in the evening..... Of Course when the next gen stuff comes online this could adversely effect the Standby lines in the evening so we will all have to wait and see how it is rolled out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why can't the standby times be correct? Disney knows the ride capacity, and can determine how many people are actually in the Standby and Fastpass line. Sensors at the entrance to the attarction and at the load gates will give an easy count of the guests in the queue.

I've often wondered the same thing about the wait times. But you have to consider that several of their queues are variable-length. If they open up a set of switchbacks, the guest capacity changes instantly. They'd spend too much time updating the program to keep track of the queue length. So, unfortunately, their current method really is the best one...for now.

The queue length is irrelevant - it's how many people are in line between the load station and a certain point, not the size of the queue. People density in the queue is also highly variable.

You solve this by putting a counter at the ride load, and a counter at the ride's queue entrance. The delta between those two numbers is how many people are in line. Then you know the ride's capacity, so you divide the # of guests by the ride throughput and you'll get a time in how long it will take from that point to the ride.

But the number is only theoretical. It's hard to model what the true ride utilization will be on many rides because the rider capacity varies so much by the type of guests, etc. Example, a classic dark ride may fit one or two people per bench. Then ride cycle time will vary based on individual guests as well, causing dispatch times to increase unpredictably. Even onmimover attractions may slow down due to guest load, etc.

Taking those factors into account, predicting actual ride throughput is difficult. You know the maximum potential, and you can measure past performance, but true performance is going to be based on human variables.

Probably the most reliable measure would be to simply measure rider throughput over several recent time windows. Then you have an average recent rider throughput.. use that with the number of people in the queue and you can get a reasonable estimate.

My guess is Disney prefers a smoother calculation to avoid having the wait boards change too frequently.

Tom

Beta Return
The queue length is irrelevant - it's how many people are in line between the load station and a certain point, not the size of the queue. People density in the queue is also highly variable.

You solve this by putting a counter at the ride load, and a counter at the ride's queue entrance. The delta between those two numbers is how many people are in line. Then you know the ride's capacity, so you divide the # of guests by the ride throughput and you'll get a time in how long it will take from that point to the ride.

But the number is only theoretical. It's hard to model what the true ride utilization will be on many rides because the rider capacity varies so much by the type of guests, etc. Example, a classic dark ride may fit one or two people per bench. Then ride cycle time will vary based on individual guests as well, causing dispatch times to increase unpredictably. Even onmimover attractions may slow down due to guest load, etc.

Taking those factors into account, predicting actual ride throughput is difficult. You know the maximum potential, and you can measure past performance, but true performance is going to be based on human variables.

Probably the most reliable measure would be to simply measure rider throughput over several recent time windows. Then you have an average recent rider throughput.. use that with the number of people in the queue and you can get a reasonable estimate.

My guess is Disney prefers a smoother calculation to avoid having the wait boards change too frequently.

To further complicate this, you have rides with varying capacity, depending on how many vehicles are active. With a ride like ToT, the computer could easily compensate for added capacity when another shaft is opened, or more elevators are brought online. But when they manually bring logs into Splash, or boats into Pirates, the CMs would have to log it into a computer so that the software could adjust.

Sounds like TouringPlans.com actually has the best solution....gobs of historical data, and excellent use of statistics. They're often more accurate than Disney.

WDW1974

1. Sorry I didn't read all 550 posts

OK, so you clearly have some sanity left ... I have actually glanced at every page in the thread, but, no I haven't read half the posts even ... because it's really become sheer lunacy, but so long as it entertains, right?

Just think of the fact that Disney pays people to sit and read this stuff ... REALLY! Shout out to Thomas Smith!!!:wave:

2. I didn't accuse anyone of currently breaking any rules - since nobody is breaking the rule since it doesn't exist. I did imply that it's a shame to think that people can't accept new rules (or the re-implementation of old rules) when implemented.

People have lost basic skills ... like the ability to stand in a line (something I think I knew how to do at age 3 or 4 ... I must have just been one amazing Spirit!:cool:)

If a FP says it is good from 5:40 p.m. to 6:40 p.m. that is pretty self explanatory and ANY discussion dead ends right there. The fact Disney has selectively chosen to NOT enforce return times doesn't entitle people to anything.

Let's say you are a podcaster or webmaster or general Disney Lifestyle person and you've been getting away with stuff that you really shouldn't for years ... nothing says tomorrow Disney can't simply decide to not look the other way ... especially when new people take over.

This is like driving 72 in a 60 (which I don't think should be an issue if it's safe to do so), and you always get away with it. One day you get pulled over and the police officer tells you that you are getting a ticket. The fact you got away with something for years doesn't mean the law ever changed.

Wake up people. Fight Disney for things that matter. This is beyond ridiculous (for those whining).

3. Much like the current Fastpass system, there's no rule here regarding how long you can wait to submit rude and sarcastic posts ;)

If there were ... :drevil:

MrToad_At_BLT

Hi Everyone,

I posted this on another site, and since I see a lot of the same discussion here I wanted to share my views:

I don't really have an issue with people who have used the Fastpasses as they were able too (showing up after the allotted time). People knew the system wasn't really enforced, so good on them for using the system that was in place to their advantage. I also understand the concept of "zero sum" as relates to ride capacity and Fastpass vs. Standby riders. I do think that some people are disregarding the possible inconvenience to the later rides who may be delayed by the people returning with Fastpasses with an earlier time and justifying it by saying that people benefited early, but again, people were just using the system in place to their advantage, I don't see it as breaking any rules.

I do however, have some issues with some of the complaints about the change.

Issue #1:: Disney is just doing this to make more money via people having to stay in parks, X-Pass sales, etc:: You bet they are, and at the end of the day that's what they should do. We can all say what we want about how Disney is taking away some of the magic, all they care about are stockholders or whatever, but the idea of Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, any other theme park is to make money. I'm sure someone will reply to this and say that Walt Disney wanted the parks to be a place where all families and people could enjoy themselves and make memories, but if Disneyland wasn't making money when it opened all those years ago you can bet Walt would've been all for making changes to ensure it's success. In particular I'd like to direct this to anyone who has complained in this thread about this all being about making money who might have at one time or another also complained that a Disney park needs new rides or shows: We can not and should not expect any business to make a significant investment in something without at bare minimum expecting to make back not only the initial cost of that investment but a profit that justifies the decision.

Issue #2::This change will not fix any problems, just make things worse for some people:: People who have been using the current policy to their advantage certainly are going to be getting the short end of the stick on this, but people have already brought up the fact that not everyone knew about this anyway, so I'm sure some of this issue is geared towards it being almost like a secret advantage for people "in the know". Just because we took the time to find out about, or happened to stumble upon the fact that return times on the tickets was not enforced doesn't make us entitled to have this benefit forever. We still have the Disboards, Easy WDW, WDW Magic, and numerous other resources that the average vacationer doesn't know about. I was actually surprised to find out that people planned their trips around this.

Issue #3a::This change should not occur because you can't always plan your day around a return time for a ride - Dining Reservations:: I can definitely see this being a problem for some but I don't think it's as terrible as some have made it out to be. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to call the restaurant and ask for a time adjustment in your reservations. I've had to do it in the past due to an issue on a ride and it was no problem. Otherwise I'm sure that if you go to customer relations and explain the situation they would at least do something to help you. If neither one of those are feasible, than there is always the option to simply wait in the standby line for the ride when it won't interfere with your dining and get a Fastpass ticket for a ride that doesn't interfere with your dining plan.

Issue #3b::This change should not occur because you can't always plan your day around a return time for a ride - Other Delays:: We're not talking about getting a Fastpass ticket that says 'Return between 1:00 pm and 1:05 pm'. The consensus seems to be the hour window will have a 5 minute early buffer and a 15 minute late buffer. That's 75 minutes. Now I don't have kids, so I won't pretend to know what traveling with one or more children is like, but I don't think it's so unreasonable to be aware of a 75 minute time window approaching. Instead of being on the other side of the park right before your windows starts, doing something further away (based on your return time) once you get your ticket and then work your way towards the ride where you Fastpass is for as your time approaches.

That's my 2 cents on the matter. I know within 20 minutes I'll have people quoting me and tearing my statements apart but that's fine. I'll just close with this. A lot of us (myself included) sometimes seem to feel we're "entitled" to certain things because of the money we spend going to Disney, but things change. People can no longer use the same mugs year after year because Disney found a system that can net them more profit. Certain dining reservations now come with a penalty if you don't cancel in a certain amount of time (which I'm 100% for, because I know for a fact people were taking advantage of this). This can be seen as a move for profit, but I genuinely think this also helps other people. And finally the Fastpass system is changing.

The Fastpass system is a benefit provided by Disney and is included in our admission cost. The rules and their enforcement are totally up to Disney, whether we like it or not. If Disney decided tomorrow to limit each persons total number of Fastpasses to 3 per day, that's totally within their rights. If anyone wants to let a change to a benefit being provided to them make them go to Disney less than they normally would, then that's your loss.

To me Disney will always be about spending time with people I love, whether it's sitting in a restaurant I'm probably paying too much to eat in or standing in a line that might be taking a little longer than it did yesterday. I'm not going to come home at the end of the trip and say "ugh, I had to hurry up and run back so I could use a Fastpass" I'm going to talk about how fun the ride I got to go on was.

Rowdy

OK, so you clearly have some sanity left ... I have actually glanced at every page in the thread, but, no I haven't read half the posts even ... because it's really become sheer lunacy, but so long as it entertains, right?

Just think of the fact that Disney pays people to sit and read this stuff ... REALLY! Shout out to Thomas Smith!!!:wave:

People have lost basic skills ... like the ability to stand in a line (something I think I knew how to do at age 3 or 4 ... I must have just been one amazing Spirit!:cool:)

If a FP says it is good from 5:40 p.m. to 6:40 p.m. that is pretty self explanatory and ANY discussion dead ends right there. The fact Disney has selectively chosen to NOT enforce return times doesn't entitle people to anything.

Let's say you are a podcaster or webmaster or general Disney Lifestyle person and you've been getting away with stuff that you really shouldn't for years ... nothing says tomorrow Disney can't simply decide to not look the other way ... especially when new people take over.

This is like driving 72 in a 60 (which I don't think should be an issue if it's safe to do so), and you always get away with it. One day you get pulled over and the police officer tells you that you are getting a ticket. The fact you got away with something for years doesn't mean the law ever changed.

Wake up people. Fight Disney for things that matter. This is beyond ridiculous (for those whining).

If there were ... :drevil:

Summed it all up rather nicely.

DonaldDoleWhip

The fact that people keep comparing using a FP late to illegal activities is what's keeping this going. A police officer wouldn't tell you that speeding is okay, even if you don't get caught. A Disney CM (until March 7th, 2012) would say it's absolutely fine to use a fastpass late.

I accept that the policy will change. I don't accept being compared to a criminal.

And we're all entitled to choose what we want to whine about. It's based on our opinions. There's no scientific rule that says a broken yeti or dead Pleasure Island merits more whining than other changes at WDW.

WDW1974

So this enforcement is undoubtedly linked to the new xPass system which we really don't know much about. It's inception likely gives them a logical time frame to to change a policy. While enforcing the return times should have always existed, it's not the greater issue here.

I think there's still some unknowns on xPass. Perhaps Lee or Spirit can chime in:
  • Is xPass the actual title, or is it a working title?

• I am not positive, but I believe I recall hearing that Disney trademarked the name.

[*]Will this only be limited to Deluxe Resort Guests, or is that just for the initial role out?

I have heard it will start with deluxe and then 'could' move on to DVC after which Disney will do further evaluation. I've also heard this will be a guaranteed offering for Four Seasons guests if/when that resort ever opens.

[*]What is the price point per guest to use xPass?
    [*]Will this be limited to, or be a perk of conceirge level guests?

No idea on price. And, no, not simply a concierge guest deal -- although I would bet it is first tossed out to them and then all deluxe guests.

All of the above are going to have to be addressed before NEXT GEN ever goes live ... now, that may be three years from now at this point. ... But in order for everything to 'work' they can't just sort of make it up as they go along as they have been doing.

I know that they recently hired someone from TouringPlans.com, but realistically, TouringPlans does a better job with wait time information than Disney does, and they have access to far less information.

I don't really want to comment without knowing the individual, their background and what they were hired for ... but the thought of people from these sites being hired isn't generally something I look upon as a positive.

WDW1974

The fact that people keep comparing using a FP late to illegal activities is what's keeping this going. A police officer wouldn't tell you that speeding is okay, even if you don't get caught. A Disney CM (until March 7th, 2012) would say it's absolutely fine to use a fastpass late.

I accept that the policy will change. I don't accept being compared to a criminal.

At some point, though, I think folks need to let it go ... no one should be compared to a criminal (proud soda 'thief' here) for exploiting Disney's lax policing of a rule. Companies try to get away with every loophole they can, so I can't fault individuals from doing likewise.

But the criminal thing is just absurd and isn't worth anyone's energy to dispute. You ain't getting this time back at the end!

And we're all entitled to choose what we want to whine about. It's based on our opinions. There's no scientific rule that says a broken yeti or dead Pleasure Island merits more whining than other changes at WDW.

True. But I wish the fan community would pick its battles more wisely. This ain't it. Trust me on this. This is exactly the kind of stuff Disney wants to see ... they'll use this in their reports on how to handle guests when the change becomes effective. In essence, everyone here is giving Disney free consulting (the type they pay folks six and seven figures for). Why give them it?

And I would say that attractions that are falling apart (like EE or Splash Mtn) or dead zones they don't have a clue what to do with (like TSFKaPI) are much more whine-worthy because those are things that speak to the basic quality and value of a WDW visit.

Right now this thread is only helping Disney ... well, and Steve since this is getting so much action!

DonaldDoleWhip

At some point, though, I think folks need to let it go ... no one should be compared to a criminal (proud soda 'thief' here) for exploiting Disney's lax policing of a rule. Companies try to get away with every loophole they can, so I can't fault individuals from doing likewise.

But the criminal thing is just absurd and isn't worth anyone's energy to dispute. You ain't getting this time back at the end!

True. But I wish the fan community would pick its battles more wisely. This ain't it. Trust me on this. This is exactly the kind of stuff Disney wants to see ... they'll use this in their reports on how to handle guests when the change becomes effective. In essence, everyone here is giving Disney free consulting (the type they pay folks six and seven figures for). Why give them it?

And I would say that attractions that are falling apart (like EE or Splash Mtn) or dead zones they don't have a clue what to do with (like TSFKaPI) are much more whine-worthy because those are things that speak to the basic quality and value of a WDW visit.

Right now this thread is only helping Disney ... well, and Steve since this is getting so much action!
Given the comments people made comparing this to beatings and murders...I think I've honestly snapped and am overreacting to everything now in self-defense (especially since speeding is a relatively less serious crime, as long as it's not dangerous). I'm sorry

I'm still not completely sure about what's most whine-worthy or not. Yeah, the broken yeti is annoying...but I was never that impressed by it so the ride is largely the same to me now. It was cool, but I thought a lot of effort went into it for minimal return. Obviously, lots of people disagree and think that's where the entire "wow" factor of Everest is. But lots of people also agree with me and enjoy the ride tremendously anyway (many of them might not have seen the working yeti, but still). I still go to AK (the least of all the WDW parks, but still) and I still ride Everest.

However, it's the EMH monorail changes and the ADR policy changes that actually influenced our spending. We've chosen less expensive, non-monorail resorts ever since the change (including Swan, which isn't Disney but offers convenience to 2 parks). And the ADR policy change has caused us to book less signature meals because we sometimes need to cancel at the last minute if people in our party aren't feeling well, and the extra charge is like an insult to injury.

I agree that lots of things regarding the current state of WDW are disappointing. Pleasure Island, yeti, parks growing increasingly stale, attractions not getting the refurbishments they need, noticeable cutbacks in service and maintenance, homogenization of restaurant ingredients (although this doesn't seem to be as bad recently), etc. Some things just seem futile, though, so I don't even exert effort to fight them. For example, I remember being so disappointed by MK's Space Mountain refurb compared to Disneyland's. That aided in reducing my expectations tremendously. In fact, when they added the catchy off-board club-techno audio, I liked the ride significantly more, just because I wasn't expecting much. I have a feeling that a lot of people's expectations (at least for WDW) have been compromised, so it seems easier to whine about the small things than set oneself up for disappointment by speaking out about something big.

LivinwtheLand

Really?

I'll miss being able to stock up on FastPasses during the day and hitting everything in a row later on, but I suppose this new strict enforcement is for the better. We shall see!

This is one of the problems with Americans. We think that rules either don't apply to us or that they will be bent because we complain. The fast pass states that you must return within a certain window of time. So do it! It's an option that Disney offers that they don't HAVE to. BUT they do! You have been spoiled this whole time if those rules weren't being enforced. I never for a second thought to NOT return during the time frame stated. I'm actually surprised that people are upset that rules are now going to be enforced. Really?

David S.

(Most of this post is ideas that have been floating around in my head since the thread began, and not directed at Tom personally)

This is my favorite point in the entire argument for or against the rules. If the time printed on your Fastpass was a surprise, that would be one thing. But you know exactly what "reservation" you're getting as soon as you walk up. If you don't like the time or think it won't work for your schedule, don't get one.

Which is why, if they are going to enforce the "late" times, I think they should have adjusted the system to allow guests to pick a later time than what is currently displayed before getting your Fastpass. (as others in this thread have eloquently stated).

I appreciate that you presented this point in a clear and non-confrontational manner. Others have been less so. (ie - "But if the time wasn't good for you, you shouldn't have gotten the pass. So it's your fault if you're late... blah blah blah...")

With the new rules, like Burried 20K League, Donald Dole Whip, and others have pointed out, you could trek all the way across the park to get a Fastpass, only to find out when you get their that the time conflicts with something else you want to do - something that may only be taking place once that day - the afternoon parade, dinner reservations, the MSEP, the final performance of Lights Motors Action that day, etc).

Enforcing the "end time" in these cases puts guests in the position where they have to chose between missing something they want or not using the FP system at this time for this attraction, which would mean walking all the way across the park for nothing - defeating the time-saving aspect of the system in the first place and playing EXACTLY into the faults its critics say it has - that it causes more backtracking and doesn't always save the time you think it does.

Suggesting (not you personally) that someone forgo getting a FP for a particular attraction just because the time that is available when you are next to the machine doesn't work for you sounds unnecessarily harsh, IMO. If you wait, backtrack later, and try to get one for the window in which you want to ride the attraction, they could be gone. Again, more backtracking for nothing, and time wasted.

Now, it would be wrong for someone to get to the machine and feel "entitled" to an earlier time that has already been allocated. This corresponds with the principle of "First come, first serve, and "the early bird catches the worm".

But, it seems unfair to me that someone who wants a LATER time that hasn't been distributed yet has no way to get one when they are right next to the machine, if they start enforcing the return times, putting them in an either/or dilemma simply because they got to the Fastpass machines randomly at the wrong time - too early! Ironically, on a more crowded day when the passes go quicker, our hypothetical guest may have been able to get the exact time they wanted!

Now, obviously, under the current system that will change March 7, this has never been an issue for me since I've known from my first day of using the system that it wasn't considered "against the rules" to use them "late". So if the time was much earlier than what I wanted when standing next to the machine, I got it anyway, knowing it would still be good when I got back to the ride. No endless backtracking or cat and mouse headgames needed.

For instance, on a typical day when I use a Fantasyland start, doing all 8 attractions in around 90 minutes or less at a very comfortable, non-commando pace, I often snag a FP for Peter Pan's Flight when I am standing right next to the machine shortly after 9 in the morning. Simply because I am there and I want a guaranteed FP NIGHT RIDE on it when I am finished my first lap of the park and doing "encores" on favorites just before closing. Now, the FP says 10 AM - 11 AM, simply because that is the time available when I am next to the machine. Yet I have no desire to ride it between 10 and 11 AM, because in this example I've already ridden it once or twice the first hour with no wait, and by 10 and 11 I am eager to move on to new lands and adventures I haven't done yet that day.

But it makes logical sense to get the FP when I am right next to the machine, as it saves unnecessary backtracking to get one later, ensures I have one for the attraction, and puts the system to "work" for me at the earliest possible instance. Meaning I'll be able to maximize the FPs I can get for all the other attractions.

Yet I have never felt "entitled" or "guilty" about using this type of strategy, because I've been told 100 percent by everyone I've asked (including managers) that it wasn't "against the rules". Getting back to my time example, I would have been happy to tell the machine that I was REALLY seeking the FP for between 10-11 PM, to help it understand what the guest flow regarding me will be that day, but you can't do that. Which is a pity if they start limiting you to just one hour, and the hour you want isn't "taken" yet.

Ironically, when I use the PPF FPs that I got in the morning late at night, sometime between fireworks and park close, I am usually putting LESS of a strain on the system by "hoarding" the pass than I would had I rode "on time", because the standby line is usually shorter at this time than it is during my window, and the FP line is often nonexistent.

Another example is New Year's Eve. On the most crowded day of the year, when all the "experts" say to avoid the Magic Kingdom, I am consistently able to experience every attraction in the park, with multiples on faves, AND see the entire Christmas entertainment package, with multiples on things presented more than once. And then start the New Year off with a bang, first with the midnight fireworks, and then, with rides on favorite attractions. This would be extremely difficult if not impossible without FP and the ability to use them up until closing. Yet, this has worked perfectly for me on every NYE since 2006/2007, most recently, 2012.

Since this is usually my first visit to the Kingdom after arriving in FL for the winter, and the last day the MK presents their Christmas entertainment, the seasonal entertainment is high priority for me, yet I am also eager to ring in the New Year with favorite attractions.

To that end, I get there at rope drop and power ride from around 7 AM - 11:30 AM. Anything I don't get into that window, I make sure I get a FP for (if a FP attraction). The same with FP attractions I've ridden in that window that I know I might want an after-midnight "encore" on to ring in the new year, such as Space, Splash, Thunder, Pan, and Pooh.

By 11:30 AM it is time to get into position for the noon Christmas parade. This is a rare treat for me; my only day of the year to see this beloved favorite parade. So after I see it just as it steps off in Frontierland, I short cut thru Adventureland and the Emporium and get to the gate next to the Fire Station just as the parade is arriving. This whole process of getting a good spot at the beginning of the route and watching twice (which I repeat for the second running of the parade, at 3:30 PM) takes well over an hour, which would render any FP times during these windows completely useless to me in a system that would both a) enfore the one hour window, and b) not let me choose the later time I am getting the FP for in the first place.

Similarly, I see the Celebrate the Season castle show multiple times that day, as well as the one showing of Holiday Wishes, the Castle lighting show, the Tomorrowland Christmas show, the MSEP, and finally, the New Years Eve fireworks. Between all the entertainment and making sure I have a good spot for it, there are very few windows desirable for me to do attractions during the peak of the day when the park is at capacity. Yet, if I used the FPs in my pocket that I am saving for between midnight and 2 AM during this peak period of the most crowded day of the year (following the alledged "rules" because that's the time they say), in this example I would actually be putting MORE of a strain on the system because that is when the queues for these attractions (both standby and FP) are at their worse.

By deferring my ride to later, I look at it like a football coach winning the toss and "deferring" to get the ball in the second half rather than the first. In my case, "winning the toss" is the metaphorical equivalent of being next to the machines early enough to get a FP for each attraction I want to experience between midnight and 2 AM, and then deferring my ride until then - which means EVERY person who rides after my initial afternoon window on a busy day like that when the lines are constantly full, got on one person earlier because of my deferrment - until I show up after midnight and equalize the line by reclaiming my spot in it, with each person who rides after me getting on when they would have had I been "on time".

In fact, after midnight on NYE, I don't always even need all the FPs I've acquired earlier (such as Pooh the last hour, or Splash if it's chilly - but it's nice to know I have them just in case).

And regarding the idea that you should be able to pick a later time that works better for you if they start enforcing the one hour window and take away the open-ended perfection that is the current system... I can already hear people saying (because some have already said it) that this is what x-pass will be for.

The thing is, this is expected to be just for resort guests, leaving locals and seasonal locals like me out of the loop. It may also be an extra charge.

But even if x-pass IS all-inclusive to everyone and no charge (both highly doubtful) - the buzz seems to be that you can get the FPs days or weeks in advance. Considering I don't even usually decide what park I'm visiting until the day of or night before, this doesn't exactly go with the flow of your day or the idea of spontanaiety the way being able to use a current FP ANYTIME between your first time and closing would. No need to make a reservation for when you think you may want to ride when you already have one in your pocket good for anytime that day (after your first time!) Nor would it be as convenient for spontanaeity as simply being able to tell the FP machine at 10 in the morning that you are looking for a FP for 10 o'clock that night, if the hour limit is going to be enforced.

To sum up, I don't feel like I am "entitled" to anything, it's just that the current system works oh-so-PERFECTLY for me and how I tour the parks, and I will be very, very, sad and disappointed to see it go, if it indeed does. "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it!"

David S.

This is one of the problems with Americans. We think that rules either don't apply to us or that they will be bent because we complain. The fast pass states that you must return within a certain window of time. So do it! It's an option that Disney offers that they don't HAVE to. BUT they do! You have been spoiled this whole time if those rules weren't being enforced. I never for a second thought to NOT return during the time frame stated. I'm actually surprised that people are upset that rules are now going to be enforced. Really?

Because, as stated by Donald Dole Whip, myself, and others COUNTLESS times, we were told by numerous CMs and managers that it WASN'T considered a "rule" that you had to use the pass within that hour, only a "guideline", and that it WASN'T considered "breaking the rules" to return "late" between your hour and park closing.

Therefore, from our point of view, we don't see this as "the rules are now going to be enforced". We see it as Disney CHANGING the rules. Which is going to be disappointing for those who enjoyed the much greater spontanaiety, flexibility, leisurely pace, and less clockwatching/backtracking provided by the old rules we are used to.

This is one of the problems with Americans. We think that rules either don't apply to us or that they will be bent because we complain.

One of the strengths of Americans is having the ingenuity to explore their interest and passions to the fullest through work, research, preperation, and experience, and finding ways to get maximum enjoyment.

This lead to those who investigated the nooks and crannies of how the FP system actually worked in the parks to discover the wonderful benefit of them not expiring until park closing. If not everyone knew about this I am sorry, but Disney made no secret of it for years. Any CM you would ask would openly tell you, including managers, and the stormtroopers in this official Disney-sanctioned preshow said the same thing, basically enouraging the practice (beginning at 1:55): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1KJS3aOtQ

I found out about it my first day using the system, because my instinctive gut reaction was that the one hour window made the system too regimented and I wanted to know what the leniency was for being "late". So I asked an attractions manager about it my very first day using the system, and when I was told "They are good until closing as long as you use it after your first time", I immediately fell in love with the system!

draybook

Why do people constantly compare FP guidelines with traffic laws? Can you not tell the difference between traffic LAWS and a guideline on a piece from a theme park?

Ok, since we're going to compare them, let me ask a question. Are you supposed to study for and take a test to gain a license so that you can legally drive and obey those very traffic laws?

Now, is there a book to study or test to take so that you can use those FP's with those guidelines on them?

See how silly that is, now guess how silly you look with your argument. Quit comparing this to traffic LAWS. You see, with laws there are fines and actions taken against you, with FP there is not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom