Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

draybook

Or of the time a disabled person was yelling because he had to wait in line to use the disabled stall when the line in the bathroom was out the door. He wanted to go right ahead of like 12 people and was telling everyone that was his stall and we could not use it.

The disabled stall is for everyone to use. It’s not like a handicap parking space. It’s marked to let disabled guest know it’s the one built to accommodate their needs. Just like the "large" lanes on some rollercoasters. It’s not just for large people.

So anyway I love Disney is staring to grow a backbone.

While I disagree with the mans approach, I would have let him go ahead of me. If he's disabled and that stall was the one that he needed then I would let him go. Then again I'm just raised to be courteous enough to hold my #1 or #2 long enough for a disabled person to go ahead and use the one stall designed with them in mind.

PhilharMagician

I am not a fan of them enforcing the fast pass. My kid is ADHD and I never felt comfortable going to guest service for a medical fast pass. Maybe I will start!!!

My daughter has ADHD too, but these are perfect times for me and my wife to help and teach her how to deal with her symptoms. There are people that really need those passes and the fact of ADHD is not one of them. It is very disturbing to me that people feel that one person does it then I should be able too.

RSoxNo1

It seems the rules on those passes are changing as well. When I was in the world in January my group was behind a woman who was furious because the CM was giving her a hand written fast pass that was not valid until the current time plus whatever the standby wait time was (if it was 12 and standby was 90 minutes the fp started at 1:30). The woman said she had always been allowed to just go to the front of any line and this was the first trip she had been denied that. The CM said something about making the system more fair and that by giving them a fast pass it made it where they were still waiting just as long as any other person that day just not in the standby line. The hand written fast pass had a 1 hour window just like a regular one.

I don't know if this was a Space Mountain only thing (I saw it happen a few times at Space in the 4 times that week I was at the Magic Kingdom) or if it is going to be everywhere.

This is how the Guest Assistance Pass works at Universal on waits over 30 minutes.

You won't get a guest assistance pass for ADHD; you'll just be told to use the Fastpass system.

My understanding has been that with a Doctor's note, Disney will give you a Guest Assistance Card for ADHD. We have been getting one for years for my autistic brother without a doctor's note, but it's pretty clear within 30 seconds that my brother is autistic. ADHD is less apparent, so to be on the safe side, I'd recommend a Doctor's note.

Millionaire2K

While I disagree with the mans approach, I would have let him go ahead of me. If he's disabled and that stall was the one that he needed then I would let him go. Then again I'm just raised to be courteous enough to hold my #1 or #2 long enough for a disabled person to go ahead and use the one stall designed with them in mind.

I was leaving as he was coming it yelling. He was mentally disabled. So he could have used any stall! I can not make 12 people move for one guy AND kick out the person that was useing the stall.

Tom

Beta Return

Sometimes nature wins over courtesy ;)

I_heart_Tigger

Or of the time a disabled person was yelling because he had to wait in line to use the disabled stall when the line in the bathroom was out the door. He wanted to go right ahead of like 12 people and was telling everyone that was his stall and we could not use it.

The disabled stall is for everyone to use. It’s not like a handicap parking space. It’s marked to let disabled guest know it’s the one built to accommodate their needs. Just like the "large" lanes on some rollercoasters. It’s not just for large people.

Sorry, I realize this is off topic but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the disabled stall. If there are 10 regular stalls in the bathroom and 1 disabled stall...as soon as the disabled stall is free the person that requires that stall should get to use it, even if they are not next in line.

Think of it this way - if you are next in line you have a 10 out of 11 chance at getting a free stall - they have only a 1 out of 11 chance of getting a free stall. If they are first in line but all of the other stalls empty first they have to allow 10 people behind them to go ahead while they wait for the disabled stall so why should they not be able to move ahead once the one stall they can use becomes available?

The odds are severly stacked against them and they should not be forced to wait 10 times longer than everyone else in line to use the washroom.

KingdomofDreams

I agree with the previous posts. While I'm sure we're all sympathetic to the needs and challenges of individuals dealing with their various disabilities, that doesn't mean they can't be accommodated in a more reasonable manner.

Being in a wheelchair does not mean you can't wait in line just like everyone else. Find a way to "mark" their proper place in the queue (by having other members of their party enter the line or some other means) and when their time comes up, let them on. I just wish ride designers could come up with ways for them to board the rides like HM, SSE etc. without stopping the entire ride, thereby taking away from the experience for everyone else.

As far as ADD or ADHD, my opinion is that no exception should be made at all, not even with a Dr's note.

There are some individuals who are obviously seriously disabled, especially children, and for them clearly there should be some reasonable accommodation made, but there are many, many individuals every day who are taking advantage.

I'm curious about the guy yelling because he couldn't get the handicap stall. Was this guy in a wheelchair? Because you didn't really make that clear. Obviously, the handicap stall is for individuals who are in wheelchairs which won't fit in regular stalls. If he wasn't in a wheelchair, he didn't need it. If he was, then yes, when it next became available, I would have let him use it. I use the handicap stall if no others are available, but only if there is no one there that would need it at that moment.

Millionaire2K

I agree with the previous posts. While I'm sure we're all sympathetic to the needs and challenges of individuals dealing with their various disabilities, that doesn't mean they can't be accommodated in a more reasonable manner.

Being in a wheelchair does not mean you can't wait in line just like everyone else. Find a way to "mark" their proper place in the queue (by having other members of their party enter the line or some other means) and when their time comes up, let them on. I just wish ride designers could come up with ways for them to board the rides like HM, SSE etc. without stopping the entire ride, thereby taking away from the experience for everyone else.

As far as ADD or ADHD, my opinion is that no exception should be made at all, not even with a Dr's note.

There are some individuals who are obviously seriously disabled, especially children, and for them clearly there should be some reasonable accommodation made, but there are many, many individuals every day who are taking advantage.

I'm curious about the guy yelling because he couldn't get the handicap stall. Was this guy in a wheelchair? Because you didn't really make that clear. Obviously, the handicap stall is for individuals who are in wheelchairs which won't fit in regular stalls. If he wasn't in a wheelchair, he didn't need it. If he was, then yes, when it next became available, I would have let him use it. I use the handicap stall if no others are available, but only if there is no one there that would need it at that moment.

Sorry for not making it clear. This guest was just standing at the back of the line complaining.

thelookingglass

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at DLR, I believe you now need some sort of documentation to get a guest assistance card, and even then its rare and not every broken toe is treated as essentially an unlimited Fastpass.

At WDW, however, basically anyone who feels like being a dishonorable piece of scum can obtain a pass.

NOTE!!!: I am not discrediting or mocking those who legitimately need a pass, and I realize that "you can't always tell", but, lets be real here, people are terrible and self-centered, and people scam.

Disneydreamer23

I defiantly need to weigh in here I seen a couple FAKE injury to get into the rides ... I was there Dec 2010 with my fiance now hussy mom and dad ,my husband fell down in the bathroom in Holllywood studios because some one spilled pop all over the floor and he slipped and ended up breaking his ankle. Had to take him to er and every thing so the next day we had to get him a wheel chair they gave us an electric one and for free since they felt bad i guess for it happening at the Park. So we were in line for HM and the CM says oh come through the back way and they took us and another young couple she ends up TELLING me her and her boy friend faked an injury earlier that day to get on rides for no wait and she proceeded to tell me they do it at every park and switch so they would say he fell next day she fell etc. So what did i Do being classy from Chicago? I rated on her bahahaha to the CM at HM i dont know what happened but it felt good!

Tom

Beta Return
So..."Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March" becomes "Another thread complaining about fake handicapped people"

Awesome.

jencor

It seems the rules on those passes are changing as well. When I was in the world in January my group was behind a woman who was furious because the CM was giving her a hand written fast pass that was not valid until the current time plus whatever the standby wait time was (if it was 12 and standby was 90 minutes the fp started at 1:30). The woman said she had always been allowed to just go to the front of any line and this was the first trip she had been denied that. The CM said something about making the system more fair and that by giving them a fast pass it made it where they were still waiting just as long as any other person that day just not in the standby line. The hand written fast pass had a 1 hour window just like a regular one.

I don't know if this was a Space Mountain only thing (I saw it happen a few times at Space in the 4 times that week I was at the Magic Kingdom) or if it is going to be everywhere.

i know that back in 2009 while at SM we received a hand written ticket and had to wait 40 minutes to get on (the wait time on standby). We kind of hung around and when we got on- the wait time was now just 15 minutes. The problem we had was that when you get up to the ride, they have a handicap entrance and there were 3 groups in front of us and they only let them on about every 10 to 15 minutes. We waited another 40 minutes to get on while hundreds passed by and were getting on. If we did not have a handicap, we probably could of done the ride like 2 or maybe 3 times. To watch so many get on the ride while we waited was quite frustrating. I am not sure why the long wait except that i think they just had one guy helping the handicap and he would disappear with the wheel chair and probably waited for the rider and then come back for the next.

thelookingglass

I understand that, its just frustrating that, while it appears Disney is trying to tackle the "fastpass monster" they created, just somewhat attempting to limit people to go within their window is only the tip of the iceberg, especially if there will be new Xpass factors thrown in. The policies for handing out GACs should be totally revised.

As user KingdomofDreams discussed a few posts above, "I can't wait in long lines" should not equal "unlimited Fastpass yay!!!" but rather something more along the lines of what is still currently done at Space Mountain - "okay, the line is 45 minutes. Return at (45 minutes from that time) to enter."

The fact that this issue is brought up frequently shows that it is an ongoing and ever-growing problem, and TDO needs to grow a backbone and stop it.

wilkeliza

So..."Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March" becomes "Another thread complaining about fake handicapped people"

Awesome.

Sorry I wasn't trying to start a controversy. I was just informing someone who said now that they are enforcing the fastpass return window rules they were going to go get the card offered to guests with non-visual disabilities that that card is not an instant skip the line at every ride.

Back to regular fastpasses. Who has been in the world since the start and what has been the follow through rate with the new rules? Are some CMs more lenient than others or is the standard really standard?

Rasvar

Back to regular fastpasses. Who has been in the world since the start and what has been the follow through rate with the new rules? Are some CMs more lenient than others or is the standard really standard?

I was in the park on Wednesday but had no reason to "test" the system. I would be curious if the time that Toy Story mania and Soarin run out of fastpass begins to slip to later in the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom