Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

accord99cutie

Premium Member
We're arriving March 10th... this should be interesting to say the least... You should have an option to opt for a later FP then (for example if the current FP window is 1230-130, but I have a dining reservation at 1215, I should be allowed to opt to return from 330-430 instead). I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish it were an option
I think eventually this is how it will end up.

I personnaly am OK with the change, although I have abused the current non enforcing of the time return. I will just pay more attention to the window before sliding my ticket. If the return time is 1-3 and I have a 1:30pm lunch, I will either go to another FP ride to get a FP that works for me, or I can just hit the stand by before lunch. I am very curious to see if enforcing this time window will keep stand by waits a little lower later in the day. I am sure there are many folks who have collected all day, and used them late afternoon and on like myself.

menamechris

I hear what you and others are saying, but you realize that the situation you describe is how most people use the system, because they don't know they can simply ignore the end time on the return window? I play the rules, and no, I don't thrive on that kind of hoop-jumping, I do it because I feel I have to. If you think that enforcing the rule will mean people can't relax and enjoy the parks, I agree totally, but that's the problem I have with Fastpass in general. Clearly the system won't work without a designated return window, and if they have a rule but don't enforce it, while that does help people who intended to follow the rules but ran into trouble, it mainly helps those who deliberately abuse the system.

The problem is that this is now a rule. It hasn't been for the last decade. Disney has actively advocated "using your FastPass at your leisure". Up until now, if you asked a cast member at the FastPass dispensers if you could come after the return time, the answer would be "yes". It's no secret. NOW it is a rule.

Slowjack

The Disney fanboys here understand every nook, cranny, tip and trick when it comes to WDW. But we (and Disney) must remember that the average guest can hardly be expected to magically "know" that they have to research parade routes, pathways, directions, times, durations, and strategically plan a military-grade itinerary...
But the average guest doesn't know they can ignore the end of the return window, so the current system mainly benefits those fanboys--at least the ones who are willing to take advantage of the rule. Heck, I didn't know myself until recently and it's not like I'm some kind of newbie. Our last trip, I was given incorrect info about the LMA times and ended up having to frantically move a dining reservation so I could get us to TSMM in our Fastpass window. I'm sure there are many people who end up missing the window for legitimate reasons but I have to think the bulk of people arriving late plan for it.

the-reason14

This is a smart move, but I think that Fastpass needs a bigger overhaul than this. Like the-reason14 said, what if you have a reservation during the return window the machines are distributing? Well, the simple answer is "don't get a Fastpass, then." But to be fair, its really hard to know what time the machines will be distributing the window you want.

I'd like to see a new system where you have several windows to choose from. like maybe 9-10 am, 10-11 am, 12-1 pm, etc. And once a window sells out, you have to pick one that is still available.

That's too much work, and we already know the typical guest is too stupid to figure out how to use the existing system properly. That leads into the whole 'xpass' crap they're talking about. About reserving ride times, that's also too much work. I don't wanna have to plan my whole day out like that. And it's not so much about other rides breaking or restaurants, it's about using the fastpass when it's most convenient for me.

menamechris

But the average guest doesn't know they can ignore the end of the return window, so the current system mainly benefits those fanboys--at least the ones who are willing to take advantage of the rule. Heck, I didn't know myself until recently and it's not like I'm some kind of newbie. Our last trip, I was given incorrect info about the LMA times and ended up having to frantically move a dining reservation so I could get us to TSMM in our Fastpass window. I'm sure there are many people who end up missing the window for legitimate reasons but I have to think the bulk of people arriving late plan for it.

I understand you position - but anyone who doesn't know - hasn't reseached too terribly much. It's open knowlegee to anyone who even asks the question. Disney hasn't even tried to keep it a secret. And there is no reason to feel bad if you know something and someone else doesn't. For example, the other night I was getting dinner at a counter service location. Clearly, people thought they had to form one long line on one side of the register. You know what? I walked to the other (empty side) and was next to get my order taken. Technically, I cut all those people in line - but honestly, if they had looked around, been observant, or asked - they could have done exactly what I did...

MaryJaneP

I don't see the problem with enforcing the return time. I'm not happy when someone with a 12:30 FP uses it at 7:30 and slows down everyone else (both lines). If you can't commit to the return window, don't get the FP. If you want a later window, come back later for a FP. FP causes so many problems, we usually use standby anyway, especially with the other time demands (restaurants, shops).

It seems cavalier to get a FP on one side of the park, and then go as far away as possible to the other side, with no intention of returning when the FP has a time window printed right on it. Maybe FP users should stay on that side of the park and ride other nearby rides so they can return.

Maybe it is just a prelude to charging for no expiration FP, but I won't be buying that either.

WDW1974

I understand you position - but anyone who doesn't know - hasn't reseached too terribly much. It's open knowlegee to anyone who even asks the question. Disney hasn't even tried to keep it a secret. And there is no reason to feel bad if you know something and someone else doesn't. For example, the other night I was getting dinner at a counter service location. Clearly, people thought they had to form one long line on one side of the register. You know what? I walked to the other (empty side) and was next to get my order taken. Technically, I cut all those people in line - but honestly, if they had looked around, been observant, or asked - they could have done exactly what I did...

I LOVE when this happens. I was just talking to another MAGICal 'insider' :cool: about this recently ... people who haven't been to WDW or don't pay attention always line up to one side. Nothing like bypassing 11 people. And, no, it isn't cutting. They teach you how to stand in line in elementary school.

Just like walking into an empty turnstyle at a WDW park when 53 people are lined up at one while some family attempts to grasp they need ticket media to enter ... and people start cursing at you ... I love it ... much like fanboi tears, it gives me a MAGICal bulge!:eek::drevil::king:

We're arriving March 10th... this should be interesting to say the least... You should have an option to opt for a later FP then (for example if the current FP window is 1230-130, but I have a dining reservation at 1215, I should be allowed to opt to return from 330-430 instead). I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish it were an option

Love this idea!! Probably what next gen will allow you to do!

the-reason14

Honestly out of all the many hours that the parks stay open, specifically MK, it doesn't matter if a "few" people decide to use their 1-2pm fastpasses around 7 when the park closes at 11. :confused:

Disneydreamer23

heres the question?>>> When i was there i got fast passes for toy story for 615 pm but my dinner reservations were at 605 @ Hollywood n vine.. what do you do in those situations?>> I never really looked at the fast pass time bc i always do mine at the end of the night.. how much alotted time do you have ?>

JimboJones123

What about this scenerio?

Arrive at Epcot at 10:30 am.

Fastpass 1- Sorin' 6-7 pm
Fastpass 2- Test Track 6:05 - 7:05 pm
Fastpass 3- Mission Space 5:50-6:650 pm

When do you get dinner? Do you pong pong back and forth? Do you skip your 7:30 Nine Dragons reservation?

For us this is a very real scenerio.

SM, BTM, JC at MK
TSM, ToT, R&R at DHS.

Some of these attractions, even with FP are a 40+ minute experience.

TheDisneyMagic

heres the question?>>> When i was there i got fast passes for toy story for 615 pm but my dinner reservations were at 605 @ Hollywood n vine.. what do you do in those situations?>> I never really looked at the fast pass time bc i always do mine at the end of the night.. how much alotted time do you have ?>

You have a one hour slot.

sweetpee_1993

That hits the nail on the head!

Yep. And it's just that simple. :cool:

Disney *could* always cover up all the FP machines and everyone wait in standby. Would that make folks feel a little better about returning within a specified window and appreciate that opportunity?

It'll be interesting how it all plays out. Disney isn't really known for sticking to their rules on some things all that closely in the spirit of making everyone happy at all costs. :animwink:

Slowjack

I understand you position - but anyone who doesn't know - hasn't reseached too terribly much. It's open knowlegee to anyone who even asks the question. Disney hasn't even tried to keep it a secret.
But why should anyone feel the need to "research" the operation of Fastpass? I mean, you get a piece of paper and there's a time range printed right on it. If you think people should be able to come back whenever, you really should be arguing that all way--and leave the "end" time off the Fastpass so everyone will know.

Victor Kelly

Come on, it is not like you do not know when you have to be back to the attraction. It is right there in black and white. If you cannot get there on time, then why should you be let in, when others can make it on time?

Maybe the me me me people who think they can bend the rules for their own personal gain are getting a wake up call.

Think of how some people have posted "I save mine several till the end of the day then use them". How is this fair to standby people who have to wait another 20 minutes or more while CMs clear the FP lines? Don't give me the they chose standby so it is there problem line. You are the problem that Disney now has to address.

I remember having to wait when FP did not exist. If they went back to this then so much the better. Then this nonsense would be done with.
Good for you Disney. Enforce the rules for once.

the-reason14

I see this all the time, empty turnstyles while people line up by one, I'm always looking for that. And I always cut over when I see one.

DonaldDoleWhip

Ugh. This takes effect exactly halfway through my March trip...at least the policy is clear and there's little room for confusion.

The annoying thing is if I show up to Space Mountain at 10 and FP is available at 1 (the same time as my lunch ressie), I'm forced into not getting a FP. It would be much more convenient if I could choose my ride time...which I guess is how they'll encourage me to use X-pass/NextGen/whatever it's called.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom