Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

WDW1974

They'll cave on this real fast, I'd bet money on it.

No, they won't.

They can't. Not if NEXT GEN is ever going to come online.

And I actually think they should be doing this, even if I have abused it like an Imagineer abuses a fanboi:eek: for many moons.

For all the folks who think planning a vacation right down to the minute is a good move, now they'll get to really see what that means. And they've been doing it this way in TDR forever and it makes FP work much better.

But does it make visiting WDW more of a chore for those of us who go there for quality and not quantity? Sure does!

Oh and I also pitty all the those minimum wage CMs who are going to get yelled at, cursed at and, in some cases, likely spit on or physically assaulted by MAGICal guests who say 'we've always been able to use our 2:10-3:10 FP for Space Mtn at 7:30 and we're gonna do so right effing now!'

menamechris

Not really. The time window is now exactly what it says it is on the ticket. What is complex with the current system is that nobody really knows what the cut off window is. Many people arrive hours later and HOPE they'll get in, but it could easily be enforced at anytime. The system now is very simple, just arrive in the window.

Well, that's true. I should clarify my thought - If I happen to pick up a FP for Space Mountain and it is for 2 hours ahead - I will most likely be on the other side of the park at the time of the FP window. Now, as opposed to just swinging back by after enjoying the rest of the park (or whatever land I happen to be in), I will have to make a special trip back to Tomorrowland just to use that FP - then return to continue doing whatever I was doing. I understand some people thrive on that kind of hustle and bustle while on a Disney vacation, but I just personally don't. And I do recognize that it is my option to not use the FastPass system. But I certainly don't see how this will help anyone relax and enjoy the parks more.

C.FERNIE

i think it is a good thing they are going to enforce fp's, i have only ever been back late once and felt awful cause the q for test track was like 45 mins! But do think they should give you half an hour not 15 mins, just incase like other folk have mentioned to get stuck for reasons out your own control!:sohappy:

dxwwf3

As others have stated, there are just so many variables into a standard day at the parks that can throw a one hour window off. Let's say you get an incredibly slow waiter at your restaurant (my most recent trip to the Brown Derby comes to mind) or you get stuck on an attraction for 30 minutes due to technical difficulties.

Most of the time, we do use the FP during the time allotted, but I just don't understand why this is needed to be enforced. I am not a big fan of this x-Pass movement at the moment, and it has nothing to do with it being at an extra charge.

the-reason14

Ugh, yuck. :mad: There are just too many variables to always ensure you get back EXACTLY on time! Between longer-than-expected wait times on another attraction, a meal taking longer than expected, "comfort and necessity" breaks (you know what I mean), kid meltdowns, getting distracted in a shop, getting tied up in a long line, getting waylaid by crowds and parade routes (sometimes making navigation a challenge), etc., etc., etc. there are so many reasons you might not make it back on time.

Seriously unhappy people ahead. Myself included.

Agree, or you may want to come back when it's most convenient for you.

Are they gonna have CMs at every kiosk saying you have to come back on time? Like how is this supposed to "officially" start?

btk2333

We're arriving March 10th... this should be interesting to say the least... You should have an option to opt for a later FP then (for example if the current FP window is 1230-130, but I have a dining reservation at 1215, I should be allowed to opt to return from 330-430 instead). I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish it were an option

maxairmike

To those concerned about missing it because of another ride breaking down; if you're evacuated from the ride/line due to the issue, they'll usually give you a generic FP good at any attraction in the MK, at the other parks it's either a generic FP or an attraction-specific FP.

Personally, I'm glad to see this being enforced, even though I abused the loophole greatly when I felt like it. I do feel sorry, though, for the poor souls at the FP Return position that are going to have some very, very bad experiences.

We're arriving March 10th... this should be interesting to say the least... You should have an option to opt for a later FP then (for example if the current FP window is 1230-130, but I have a dining reservation at 1215, I should be allowed to opt to return from 330-430 instead). I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish it were an option

Well with the new NextGen X-Pass, you'll be able to do exactly that prior to your arrival, no?:shrug:

WDW1974

I see we have 99 people viewing this thread ... so people are clearly up in arms about it.

If you don't like it, I'd suggest whining over on The Disney Parks Spinning Propaganda Blog instead ... tell Disney what you like and don't like! They care!

menamechris

I see we have 99 people viewing this thread ... so people are clearly up in arms about it.

If you don't like it, I'd suggest whining over on The Disney Parks Spinning Propaganda Blog instead ... tell Disney what you like and don't like! They care!

Ya, is that sarcasm? haha.

Timekeeper

I feel sorry for the CM's involved who have to tell guests "Sorry, its not like the past decade for fastpass return times anymore"

I expect guest services to be filled with complaints, partially due to unavoidable circumstances like:

People being stuck on other attractions
Restaurant reservations/service taking longer than expected
Parade blocking people's ability to get back to the attraction (See Animal Kingdom)

I can also imagine people running through the park in attempts to make sure they get to their FP window on time.

Has there been any mention of changing the return window to a longer period?

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. :sohappy: Not only are these circumstances "unavoidable," but they are also circumstances that are either directly or indirectly "caused" by Disney.

The Disney fanboys here understand every nook, cranny, tip and trick when it comes to WDW. But we (and Disney) must remember that the average guest can hardly be expected to magically "know" that they have to research parade routes, pathways, directions, times, durations, and strategically plan a military-grade itinerary so that they don't reach their breaking point when a CM tells them that they cannot cross the street despite the fact that they have a FP that is creeping up on the end of the window which will be strictly enforced against them. And that's only a parade-related delay.

As ChrisFL suggested, there are many Disney-created variables that could lead to a "late" return to the attraction. How many of us have decided to stand in line for an attraction only to discover that the "estimated" wait time was grossly "underestimated" (or simply not updated accurately)?

This sounds to me like a justification to issue more FPs, but will result in an epic fail. :brick:

The point of a FastPass, supposedly, is so that the guest can go enjoy other things instead of waiting in line (and potentially spend more money in the process). It's not supposed to create a paranoid guest that fears the possibility of being late on the return and therefore forgoes enjoying other amenities in order to wait outside of the attraction.

If guests are going to wait outside of Space Mountain for 30 minutes (so that they're not late) because there's nothing else in proximity that they could realistically ride that would have them back in less than 30 minutes (aside from maybe CoP), then we've defeated the purpose of the FastPass. They may as well have spent those 30 minutes in the Space Mountain standby queue. :cry:

DrummerAlly

Can anyone comment on the nextgen fastpasses?

Do we have any real certainty yet on what will be included?

Personally, I'm fine with getting my fastpass for Toy Story Midway Mania and Space Mountain ahead of time. This will probably actually make my vacation easier since I won't have to worry about running to a particular ride to get a time that is suitable for us. Now, if I have to pay to use the fastpass system, or there is a tiered guest system where some people get unlimited fastpasses, I might start looking to vacation elsewhere.

Slowjack

Well, that's true. I should clarify my thought - If I happen to pick up a FP for Space Mountain and it is for 2 hours ahead - I will most likely be on the other side of the park at the time of the FP window. Now, as opposed to just swinging back by after enjoying the rest of the park (or whatever land I happen to be in), I will have to make a special trip back to Tomorrowland just to use that FP - then return to continue doing whatever I was doing. I understand some people thrive on that kind of hustle and bustle while on a Disney vacation, but I just personally don't. And I do recognize that it is my option to not use the FastPass system. But I certainly don't see how this will help anyone relax and enjoy the parks more.
I hear what you and others are saying, but you realize that the situation you describe is how most people use the system, because they don't know they can simply ignore the end time on the return window? I play the rules, and no, I don't thrive on that kind of hoop-jumping, I do it because I feel I have to. If you think that enforcing the rule will mean people can't relax and enjoy the parks, I agree totally, but that's the problem I have with Fastpass in general. Clearly the system won't work without a designated return window, and if they have a rule but don't enforce it, while that does help people who intended to follow the rules but ran into trouble, it mainly helps those who deliberately abuse the system.

Tom Morrow

This is a smart move, but I think that Fastpass needs a bigger overhaul than this. Like the-reason14 said, what if you have a reservation during the return window the machines are distributing? Well, the simple answer is "don't get a Fastpass, then." But to be fair, its really hard to know what time the machines will be distributing the window you want.

I'd like to see a new system where you have several windows to choose from. like maybe 9-10 am, 10-11 am, 12-1 pm, etc. And once a window sells out, you have to pick one that is still available.

GrumpyFan

Not crazy about this, but then again, it doesn't bother me terribly. It just means I will have to be a little more attentive to when I get a FP and when the window is.

I might suggest a simple solution of extending the ride return window and making it a 2-hour period, instead of just 1-hour with a 15 minute flex. In most cases, 2 hours should be more than adequate and will not make guests feel so constrained.

I predict the next step in the evolution of this change will be the ability to pick multiple return time slots.

Edit: Tom Morrow, I think my post was probably just about the same time as yours. I like the way you think!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom