Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

BrittanyRose428

Sorry if this was already brought up but I'm juggling homework & work right now and shouldn't be on the internet as it is, so I haven't finished reading the thread-- Anyways-- Does anyone really think that if something truly unforeseeable happens (ie: ride breaking down) that you would be out a fastpass?? If the ride you have a fastpass for is broken down during the return time, I'd be willing to bet they'd still let you on, its not the end of the world.

Also, I don't have kids so maybe I don't understand this, but is missing your fastpass return time so your child can nap/freakout/whatever really that big of a deal?? Or if you have a dinner reservation during the fastpass return time then don't get the fastpass- problem solved. If dinner runs late, then oh well, it was just a fastpass.

I mean seriously, I've been to WDW 3 times since Toy Story Mania opened, and I have still NEVER been on it. Every time I was at Hollywood Studios the wait time was insane and the fastpass return time didn't work for me (between only being there for a few days, dinner reservations, etc) so I didn't get a fastpass. Sure, I'd like to go on it, but it really isn't a big deal. And you could say that I should have gotten a fastpass and saved it for a better time, or waited until the park emptied out a little bit, but it just didn't work with the short weekend trips I've taken the past couple of years, and thats fine! -- first world problems. :shrug:

-leaves thread/goes back to work/ends rant- :ROFLOL:

allgar

I think most level-headed people in this thread that are opposed to the change (me included) wouldn't be opposed to the change if they properly planned for it and created easy ways to avoid issues, as have been stated in the last 10 posts or so.

Just as you both can't understand why anyone would fuss over having to "follow the rules", others can't understand why Disney wouldn't put a little thought and effort into the guest experience and how to make these changes without negatively impacting it.

We have no evidence that they have done that, and I don't believe they have... We would see infrastructure changes taking place already for something happening in just a month from now.

That's my main problem. I don't think they are putting the guest experience first. In fact, I'm betting this is all motivated by money. Somewhere down the line, somehow, this will make them money. What if this is all just the beginning stages of getting a system prepared for some sort of optional PAY-FOR-FP system? I'll be interested to see how happy all you folks welcoming this change are THEN. :lol: I picture you folks as the cows at the end of the line, perfectly content to be in that line, because that's where you were told to be. But then when you get closer to the front of the line you realize you're in a line going into a meat packing plant, and THEN you freak out.

There's a Far Side cartoon out there about that. Good stuff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to suggest how to apply the window restriction and not negatively impact guest experience. I don't think we should always have to "take it and LIKE it".

Amen!

...and for everyone saying "why is it so hard to just follow the rules", and those talking about "gaming" the system... the extended grace period was a conscious decision by Disney, it was THEIR rule that you come back later. Those of us unhappy, are unhappy that they are changing the rule. Rule changes that negatively impact my experience is a legitimate reason for me to be disappointed.

Rest assured this change will have no meaningful impact on the standby wait times, it will serve only to pave the way to the Next Gen changes which will allow for more "reserved" experiences. Forcing people to follow the schedules fo the current FastPasses will make it that much easier to swallow when the next thing comes out.

Frankly I'd rather just pay the extra $50 / day per ticket and get my fastpasses then have to play park commando back and forth and/or stand in standby lines. At least then I'd get service for my money. Give me that option at least... think it through Disney, don't just make changes without considering how it impacts guest experience. Plan it out better.

Fractal514

I'm writing in reference to this fastpass policy change which is the topic being discussed. It's been this way for how long, 10 years or so? And now they want to suddenly change it? Well that changes things for me and I feel it should have never been policy if they're changing it back to the way it was intended. Within those years I grew accustomed to using them when it's most convenient for me. But now they're changing something that effects the way I like to vacation and travel throughout the parks. And you all don't know what I will or won't do. I will come back after March, but I doubt it will be as frequent as it has been in the past.

Ok, that is a much fairer statement than what you said previously. In the future I will only judge you on the third of fourth post you make, in which you clarify your point.

Just to be clear though, just as you don't like it and will visit less frequently (so you say) I DO like it, and I will visit more frequently to counter your less visits. By that logic, how does Disney lose?

In the end, we're not really debating something that is debatable, it's all about preferences and policies set by people we don't control. That's gotta be frustrating. Cause if I were against this and I came on the boards, hoping to drum up an angry mob like Gaston or something, and I was met by a bunch of folks who either didn't care or who liked the Beast, i'd be pretty PO'd.

Buried20KLeague

First, we haven't seen how the new credit card check system will impact DDR's availability. Secondly, you don't HAVE to book that far in advance. You could be sat at a variety of places, maybe just not the ones you want. You choose to tour the parks in a way that includes a sit-down meal per day, that also means you choose to use the DDR's. That's a choice, Disney isn't forcing you.

Wow. You're WAY off point. The point isn't that Disney is forcing me to do anything. The point is that if I want to experience everything I want to experience while on our trip, I have to plan ahead (sometimes months in advance) because if I don't, I won't get what I want.

You made the point that you can still walk into the parks without a plan, without reservations, and it won't negatively impact your day. I think that's an absurd point to make. Of COURSE your day is negatively impacted if you didn't plan and use the system to your advantage like everyone around you did. I don't see how you could defend that, even.

I'm guessing you can't, since you didn't. Instead, you pointed out that I might not get to eat where I like (which makes my point) and that if I want one sit down meal per day, I have to use DDR's (which also makes my point). :confused:

:shrug:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand, but I also think that it is hard not to make allowances for any of the legitamate customer-service defaults that I mentioned above, especially when they tout fast-pass in all the promotional material. (Not to mention the cost of tickets to begin with.)

But you gotta get over the entitlement attitude that because its offered, if I don't get it, I demand something equivalent. I agree that Disney should as part of customer service do its best to minimize impacts and soften the blow for impacted guests.. but that doesn't mean 1 for 1 replacements all the time.

A good example.. lets say Disney finds the park busy, so they extend hours. Or if one type of show is busy, they add more shows, etc.

Or are you the type that thinks Disney should offer ticket refunds if F! or the fireworks have technical difficulties?

People need to stop treating FPs as some high value, if I can't use mine I want compesation, type attitudes. If we were to apply that level of stress to everything... we'd be kicking and screaming why disney allows a PARENT to actually cut the line to ride due to child switch.

People need to see this as a enhancement, that when not available, you adjust and move on.

Fractal514

Except you won't miss SM.. you just can't use your FP. You are certainly free to get in line for the attraction.

Disney isn't going to kick you out of a line as long as you are in line before park closing.

So no.. there is no 'I won't get to see my favorite XYZ' drama because someone couldn't get a FP. It just means they might have to wait a bit longer or give up something else.

Furthermore, saying you missed SM because the monorail broke down on your way back from lunch at the Poly and SM was the one big thing your kids wanted to do... Well you just suck as a parent. If I knew my kids wanted to do one big thing, I'd make damn sure we did it right away BEFORE going to lunch at the Poly, that way we could spend the rest of the day enjoying everything else and if we miss something no big deal. Furthermore, if we had time we could ride SM again. Is anyone else getting tired of Late-Use FastPass Apologists coming up with ridiculous circumstances by which they are attempting to justify keeping the system the way it is?

the-reason14

If anything they could be instructed to do this but still make exceptions. I can see somebody coming up with a story or actually having a nightmarish ride breakdown experience at the other side of the park and be let in with their late fastpass. It'd probably be rare, but I could see it still happening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I never said it did, but if that's what you think and if it makes you feel holy and righteous, then so be it.

As much as it cost to go to WDW, and as someone who frequented the parks a lot, we/I should be able to vacation how I want. Sorry, but this change totally ruins my way of vacationing and I'm scheduled to go next month for spring break and this may be my last time there for awhile.

When you put your needs above everyone else at the cost of others and justify it as correct because it serves you better.. that's exactly what selfish and self-righteous means.

Buried20KLeague

Also, I don't have kids so maybe I don't understand this, but is missing your fastpass return time so your child can nap/freakout/whatever really that big of a deal?? Or if you have a dinner reservation during the fastpass return time then don't get the fastpass- problem solved. If dinner runs late, then oh well, it was just a fastpass.

:

To be clear, since I'm the one that brought up this point...

I'm not saying I'd complain if I had a fastpass in hand and a kid had a melt down and I had to leave without using it. If you read my post, I was saying that if you're in one corner of the park and want a fastpass for something in the opposite corner of the park not knowing what window the FP's are currently distributing for is a problem. Without that, it could be a 10 minute trek over to the other side, just to see.

I'm not saying don't make this change... I'm saying plan for it properly and boost infrastructure AHEAD OF TIME (imagine that!!) so as to minimize potential negative guest impact. That's all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If anything they could be instructed to do this but still make exceptions. I can see somebody coming up with a story or actually having a nightmarish ride breakdown experience at the other side of the park and be let in with their late fastpass. It'd probably be rare, but I could see it still happening.

And Disney already has a system for dealing with guests that need to be compensated for getting stuck on attractions. And they had it before FP existed too.

Disney is far better off giving a late returner another FP then they are letting them in. Because that requires judgement calls and that always leads to conflict.

Fractal514

Wow. You're WAY off point. The point isn't that Disney is forcing me to do anything. The point is that if I want to experience everything I want to experience while on our trip, I have to plan ahead (sometimes months in advance) because if I don't, I won't get what I want.

You made the point that you can still walk into the parks without a plan, without reservations, and it won't negatively impact your day. I think that's an absurd point to make. Of COURSE your day is negatively impacted if you didn't plan and use the system to your advantage like everyone around you did. I don't see how you could defend that, even.

I'm guessing you can't, since you didn't. Instead, you pointed out that I might not get to eat where I like (which makes my point) and that if I want one sit down meal per day, I have to use DDR's (which also makes my point). :confused:

:shrug:

Ok, where to begin.

First off, don't make assumptions about me, I've toured it both ways. Every DDR planned, sometimes multiples a day, sometimes none at all. There ARE advantages to both. I find that I eat better with the ADRs and i enjoy the parks/rides better without them cause I'm not focused on the clock as much.

The whole notion about having to plan in advance to get what you want, well, duh. I mean, it's basic supply and demand. Le Cellier can only seat so many people, so they fill up quickly with ADR's. When would you propose they take ADR's the same day? A day in advance? There is no system that alleviates the headaches only shifts when they occur.

I don't think you can say OF COURSE my day is negatively impacted. Some of my favorite days in the parks have been waking up without a plan, heading over to epcot, walking about, rinding ones or two things, heading to blizzard beach, ending the day at MK, all just winging it. Just because YOU can't fathom something doesn't mean it can't exist.

BTW, I have totally lost sense what you points you were trying to argue. Are you for or against ADR's (since you seem to hate them but love to use them) Are you for or against the new fast pass rule?

Rasvar

Heck, I got e-stopped on Space Mountain in Disneyland on my last night on my January trip. It was at the end of the evening. It kept me from going on Indy one last time. C'est la vie. Now, that was a case of the park closing. I understand the monorail situation. (Beware of the monorail right before the parade time. Always seems to be a beam switch going on) There will be some bumps as new rules are put in place. There will be tweaks. I really think when all is said and done, a new set of rules will work just fine.

draybook

Did you read my post? Where did I say they were enforcing it prier to the 7th? :hammer:

And you miss understood. I said the "excuses" people are giving as to why this is a bad change. Not excuses Disney is coming up with, or whatever you conjured up in your mind.

I don't care about your personal experience because it is hear-say. I was stating in my personal exerience in a very long time of going, I've apparenetly heard it once now, on video, in the comfort of my home. Other than that, I've never heard a CM say it. As you may go back and read, and understand (it's not hard I promise.). You'll see I said "I'm not saying CM's don't tell people they can come back, but I've personally never heard it".

Learn to comprehend or I won't even bother replying next time.

#1 - My experience along with everyone elses is hear-say, so calm down there Matlock. By the way, by being let in by CM's hundreds of times with "expired" FP's, what do you think that implies? :hammer:

#2 - You said "Irrelevant. That's no longer policy." Oh, but it is still policy as of today.

#3 - Learn to comprehend? If you're going to make swipes at my intelligence then perhaps you should at least learn to spell "misunderstood", along with "apparently". Or perhaps even try to use the spell checker that comes standard with most if not all web browsers.

Now, on to other folks that are having rational, adult debates.

I do not understand why everybody is complaining that you cannot game the system. They are only making it work they way it is supposed to.

The only way disney can change the system is to make it like six flags reservation system. This would require people to pay for fastpass though .

I just do not understand why people are getting upset at not being able to game the system anymore.

Is it so hard to follow the rules?

It's not hard to follow the rules. The problem with this statement is that the fine print itself states no early entries, but nothing about late entries. Yes, it's a technicality, but it's still there. Also, as I stated above and in numerous posting, CM's allow it and have been trained to let late FP's through. This is not "gaming" the system, it's using the system that Disney has set up.

And I'm not seeing a whole lot of folks upset about the change, as a matter of fact it looks like more of the "do right" crowd are getting up in arms, ready to crucify anyone that might dare show up with a late FP.

People are getting upset because they aren't thinking about the greater good, they are thinking about themselves and their own families and how THEY tour the parks. Overall this new policy will work better for a vast majority of guests. Folks just don't want to see the change because they are used to touring the parks at the pace they like while mom or dad runs around and grabs fast passes all day so they can then ride the e-tickets a 2nd or 3rd time at night while everyone in the stand-by line watches them stroll right up.

Same as above, it's not gaming. Also, in my limited experience, I have yet to see any inconvenience when "rolling up" to a ride in the last 2 hours with my FP. By then most of the crowds are gone anyways.

As I said before, we'll be glad to follow the new policy and still have a good time. I think it's a bit early to say that this is a good or bad thing, because we have yet to see any results.

DisneyDebRob

Correct me please if I'm wrong but each fast pass gives you one hour window.Add the 5minute early entry plus the 15 minutes on the back end and you have one hour and twenty minutes to make the attraction.Is this correct?If so,how can anyone complain about that amount of time to get there?On the other side of the park?Still no problem.Dinner ressies?They will hold your reservation for 15-30 minutes,at least that's been my case going every year for the last 15 years.So there's another half hour added to the equation.

Reminds me of the uproar about the ADR's policy change that happened months ago.What if someone is sick in my party and can't make it.... What if my child has a meltdown and we can't make it..etc etc.Its running smoothly and better for all guests as will this new FP policy.Its for the better good.

Alektronic

I think they are enforcing the rules now to get people used to it because when the NextGen FP comes online and they scan it, it will simply say This is a valid FP and then they will let you in or This FP is not valid and they won't let you let you in the FP line.

Rowdy

#2 - You said "Irrelevant. That's no longer policy." Oh, but it is still policy as of today.

#3 - Learn to comprehend? If you're going to make swipes at my intelligence then perhaps you should at least learn to spell "misunderstood", along with "apparently". Or perhaps even try to use the spell checker that comes standard with most if not all web browsers.

Now, on to other folks that are having rational, adult debates.

A nitpicker I see. No longer policy as far as the new rule goes, you know, what we're discussing here... what this WHOLE THREAD is about... C'mon, it's not that hard.

As far as the spelling mistakes, I'm on an iPhone. Not sure why it auto-corrected misunderstood, or why it didn't catch apparently. But I'm glad you feel inferior enough to bring up unrelated material.

Let's try to stay on subject, eh?

DisneyJoe

I have to say I am shocked how many people never return during the window.

Don't forget to take into account who you are hearing from - the small percentage of WDW visitors that frequent online forums. Many times when I mention AllEars or MouseSavers or this board or others to friends and others I get a blank stare - the majority have no idea of these online resources or even WDW Guidebooks.

draybook

A nitpicker I see. No longer policy as far as the new rule goes, you know, what we're discussing here... what this WHOLE THREAD is about... C'mon, it's not that hard.

As far as the spelling mistakes, I'm on an iPhone. Not sure why it auto-corrected misunderstood, or why it didn't catch apparently. But I'm glad you feel inferior enough to bring up unrelated material.

Let's try to stay on subject, eh?

It was quite on topic. You insulted my intelligence and I responded. Nice dodge though! From now on, feel free to PM me so we don't clutter this thread up.

Yeah, even though the FP system will change again with NextGen, it will take some time to get guests acclimated to being on time within their given window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom