Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

Rasvar

I should also add that in answer to one question about the Fastpass window, one set of guests do have an advantage over others: Verizon customers with Mobile Magic. While in the park, you can look at that and know exactly the current Fastpass return times being posted. Saving from having to make that walk. But only if you have a Verizon smartphone.

There is always going to be some kind of advantage of one kind or another from people who know the system. All I care is that whatever rules are in place, they are fairly and equally enforced.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is the only reason I do hoarding. The post parade/fireworks rush, especially at the end of the evening, becomes down right untenable because of the policy that is in place. I don't really do the hoarding because I want to. I do it because it is the only way for me to get a lot of attractions in during the evening hours when it is cooler.

I'm not sure how many people remember the pre-Fastpass evenings. Even at the height of summer, lines were always reasonable (ie, the wait time of an average evening Fastpass line) for everyone. Fastpass changed the dynamic so I had to change my patterns and adapt.

I have never felt guilty about hoarding because it is how the system is enforced. It is enforced that way for everyone. I challenge anyone here to say that they have never taken advantage of a little extra knowledge for their benefit at WDW.

The problem is 100 times worse at Disneyland because so many people know the system on a daily basis. As someone who takes advantage of it, I have no issue with it being changed. Now, I tend to be spontaneous in the park. So the planning issue is not as big a deal for me. I think the return time window should have some more leeway. I would actually prefer a larger printed window but that also changes the mathematical algorithm. So maybe a larger unwritten enforcement window than what is suggested. Fastpass was a major change when it first came out. People adapted. Same thing will happen again. It's not the end of the world (we have at least another ten months on that).

The nights were awesome for getting in lots of ride pre-FP days. Splash and Space would be completely walk on for the last hour or so. Ahhhh the good ole days LOL

sweetpee_1993

Interesting. The number supporting enforcement currently exceeds the total of the 2 other options polled. :cool:

I haven't read the whole thread but I don't think this is that big of a deal. The ending time has always been on the FP. Enforcing it was always a possibility. Utilizing the system within the window isn't that difficult. If you go to get a FP and the return time cuts it close to when you are exiting your dinner then just hop in the standby or return for a different FP time later. If you always shoot to return to use your FP at the window opening you now have about an hour to use as a buffer for slower people in your party or bathroom stops along the way. If you see something on your walk over you want to have a closer look at you just make a mental note & return or choose which youd rather do. Parades holding you up isn't really a valid excuse because park guests know what time the parades roll and where the route is. We've always carefully considered all variables before committing ourselves to a FP window and I assure you it's not a terrible or difficult thing. Yes, we've opted not to get the FP's because the return time wasn't convenient. It wasn't a trip-killer. If after getting a FP we saw that the return time was t going to work out after all we gave the FP's away.

Not a difficult system to utilize and not at all a big deal. If the system as it was designed doesn't work for you maybe look for alternatives such as the VIP personal tour thing, GAC cards or wheelchair for guests who have physical limitations with navigating return trips, or go to parks that offer front of line access on a fee-based system.

For those who say the return time doesn't matter, wouldn't it be fun to return to an attraction only to find 2 tour groups of 75 each opted to return late just ahead of you???? Not enforcing the time can potentially throw the wait times for everyone. It wouldn't be fair to enforce it for the tour groups but not you, right?

I'm very interested to see where this is going. Disney must have something up their sleeve to suddenly start enforcing the return times.

Buried20KLeague

We know that isn't the case though, because we know that so many people arrive outside of their window. The argument of being late due to seeing a parade or show has already been used in this thread. The new system will not eliminate the spike, but it could certainly reduce and control it.

It would also even be possible for the system to not distribute FPs for post parade to eliminate that spike. With the current free-for-all, that is not even a possibility.

You may be right, I have no way of knowing. I DO know that we've planned where to watch a parade from before by the FP's we held at the time and when their windows were open. I'm sure we weren't alone.

lebeau

The issue I have with this is that there are some things during your day in the parks that can't really be worked around. Reservations... The time you have to leave the parks for the day... My littlest one taking an afternoon nap, etc...

As someone who also has little kids, I agree that Disney has made some policy changes of late (along with the credit card hold on ADRs) that make touring the parks with little kids more challenging.

Traveling with little ones is difficult. WDW is not as kid-friendly as the marketing department would have you believe. Flexibility is a requirement. And these policies which limit flexibility have the unintended effect of making Disney World a less child-friendly vacation destination.

Not that I oppose this change per se. I want to see it in action. But I am sensing a trend here.

devoy1701

I should also add that in answer to one question about the Fastpass window, one set of guests do have an advantage over others: Verizon customers with Mobile Magic. While in the park, you can look at that and know exactly the current Fastpass return times being posted. Saving from having to make that walk. But only if you have a Verizon smartphone.

There is always going to be some kind of advantage of one kind or another from people who know the system. All I care is that whatever rules are in place, they are fairly and equally enforced.

I was thinking this too and the App is free now!

Also, the EPCOT and DHS tips board have FP return times, so you don't need to go hopping around to each attraction to find out where the FP Ressies are at that moment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I find more interesting is... how will disney communicate this to minimize the impact?

It will take years for this change in policy to really propagate through all guests.

So Disney puts up a sign saying 'you must return in your FP window' - and the gamers will say 'yeah, but they always said that' and then they will get turned away. Those that knew they were in a 'grace' window anyways will accept it. Those that believe they are owed the world will fight that the old grace rules should be carried forever.

But the scenario plays out where the guest that was turned away might think that's just one CM.. and will likely try it more times.. and get turned away even more before they accept 'this is real now'.

So even if Disney plasters their rules up everywhere.. people are going to think its the same old policies until they learn the hard way.

So it will be interesting to see if Disney tries to advertise this and get the point across 'no, we really mean it now' without explictly calling out what the old grace policy was.

Possibly saying 'Return Times are now strictly enforced'. But where to say that? Maybe signs in the FP distribution areas? You don't want to put signs out near the turnstyles, etc.. because this is something you will have to keep up for a year or two at least until the word popogates fully to guests.. and even then you will have ages where people will still think the old policy applies. So in a way, Disney needs to get the word out to all customers when they start their trip, and convince them they mean it.

I think new signs in the FP area is probably the best compromise. Having reservation agents, etc say something can backfire in that you bring attention to what the old policy was... though they might come up with a script in how to broach the topic gently.

the-reason14

So is it pretty much known that they're doing this so late because they're about to introduce this new next gen stuff? It doesn't make sense to start enforcing the time after all these years if major plan$$ to revamp the fastpass aren't on the horizon.

allgar

It's all been said and debated and of course my two cents isn't going to change anyone's mind on this subject but this is a great disappointment to me. Fastpass is a wonderful tool and it's one that helps us all enjoy our park experiences more by reducing the amount of time we spend in lines. For those of us who were aware that the return time was a "suggestion" and not a rule, we have used it to our advantage to further enjoy the park experience by allowing us to maintain a pace which we ourselves set.

Put me firmly in the camp of people who like to control my own time in the parks, and stand in line as little as possible. I'm 40 now and being a park "commando" holds little interest to me, i don't want to be running from one side to the next and back again 10 times in a day, frankly it's just too exhausting... and standing in line for 40-50+ minutes to experience a ride is just not in my wheel house.

I'm deeply saddened by this change. It's just one more thing that Disney is doing that will lessen the pleasure of my park experience. I'll refrain from getting up on my tired old soap box of continued price increases versus continued service cuts, but suffice to say, this one is a deep cut in my eyes, one that will completely affect the way I enjoy their parks by putting me on a schedule OR forcing me to stand in lines. I'm certain that many have been living that reality for a long time and don't/won't/can't understand my sadness and perhaps think that I've been selfish all along, but rest assured this was a Disney rule and one that I loved and appreciated. It made me feel as though Disney cared about how I enjoyed their park, that they encouraged people taking their time to appreciate the magical experience they put in front of them. Now... well it's just another service cut in my eyes. Something I once had that I will never again get to enjoy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do I tell the kids I don't care if they want to ride Splash because it's too far to go just to find out we can't use them?

What if they are screaming to ride TSMM? I get that it's 'harder then it used to be', but that doesn't mean its 'hard'. Just that the extra that used to be possible because we were allowed to use a grace perk in an unlimited fashion. It was still a grace window. I think that's the beef.. people have gotten so accustomed to treating the grace policy as normal.. when it's taken away people act like things are abnormal.

Your issue would be the same if you wanted to walk across the park to find the attraction 101 or with a wait longer then you were willing to wait.

Information sharing is power no doubt. But I wouldn't want too much making the place look ugly. I think networked FP distribution points (instead of just at the rides) spread throughout the park is the best compromise. Each could be themed to blend in. You have multiple so to fight crowds. It provides a place to display FP return info. It make staffing simplier. It provides a concise view easily available without excluding those without smartphones, etc.

Buried20KLeague

I've thought about this more. Two things that would make this change go much smoother and eliminate a GREAT deal of possible issues:

1. Centralized FP distribution area in each park.

2. Info boards in each land of each park (plus one centrally located) that accurately gives current FP distribution return times.

Those two things alone seem to diffuse virtually every single potential problem I can think of, including my own.

In my opinion, it seems crazy to me that they would NOT have these two things in place before making this change.

I'm not completely opposed to the change, IF THEY PLAN APPROPRIATELY for it... And it seems to me they aren't going to... Unless someone has info that I don't have.

Once again it seems like they're jumping out of the plane before putting on the parachute.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So is it pretty much known that they're doing this so late because they're about to introduce this new next gen stuff? It doesn't make sense to start enforcing the time after all these years if major plan$$ to revamp the fastpass aren't on the horizon.

Yes it does.. because the new system will augment the existing FP, not replace it.

Mimi

OMG! Don't people know that there are standby lines too? The world won't end if you have to use it. If you know you won't make it back in time time give your fastpasses to a family you see with the same # of people, you'll make their day!

If your kids absolutely must ride that ride and your fastpasses are expired they need to... wait in line. I waited for every ride I rode as a child because there was no fastpass and I survived to tell the tale! Amazing!!!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Guide maps, times guides, resort TV, on the tickets themselves, at the machines, unofficial sites such as this.

Yes, but as stated in the rest of the post. How to communicate it convincingly without acknowledging the old unpublished policy of all late returns.

If you highlight what the old policy was, you stand to create bad blood with a larger audience because now even more people will see it as a 'reduction of value' rather than simply the ones who relied upon the grace window.

You have to make this information available ABOVE AND BEYOND the existing FP information. Someone that already uses FP, and games it, isn't going to ride the subpoints in the guidebook about FP. Disney must find proactive ways to highlight this to their customers as well as publish the change so its easily referenced when challenged.

Rasvar

Yes, but as stated in the rest of the post. How to communicate it convincingly without acknowledging the old unpublished policy of all late returns.

If you highlight what the old policy was, you stand to create bad blood with a larger audience because now even more people will see it as a 'reduction of value' rather than simply the ones who relied upon the grace window.

Marketing spin wins the day:

"Helpful Tip bubble: Did you know that if you miss you Fastpass window on your ticket, it is still good for XX minutes after the printed window?"

You have now spun it as a positive. Most people did not even know you could use it that way before. So for most people, it now looks like an added benefit and not something taken away.

RSoxNo1

The problems with this is that it's going to cause more double backing in the parks. That's a problem for a lot of people.

I certainly took advantage of the late return times, and for selfish reasons I'm sad to see it go. One advantage of this though is that in conjunction with xPass we will likely see an increase in the number of unused fastpasses so hopefully that aspect of the xPass addition will be minimized. I wouldn't be surprised to see them tweaking the distribution numbers while they do this.

The other thing I would like to see are Fastpass booths throughout the park for all attractions. This could help minimize the double backing. Centralized Fastpass locations will certainly help with this.

Additionally, if the return times are going to be enforced, you should be able to get a later return time than the current return time if you so desire. For example, if the current distribution is 40 minutes out, but you have a meal planned, you should be able to get Fastpasses for 2 hours out if you want. The system should be smart enough where the Fastpasses that you acquire can just be deducted from the system 2 hours out as opposed to 40 minutes out. Considering that they're allowing guests to schedule their trips, this should also be available in the park to all guests.

PolynesianPrincess

Goodness gracious people. You already have 1 hr and 20 mins to "make it back to the attraction during your allotted time" (including the 5 mins early acceptance and 15 mins back end they're allowing). That should cover your longer than expected queues at other attractions, dinners running over, parades cutting your access to the ride...yadda yadda. I'm sure we have all said in the past "well that queue is 40 mins long...we don't have time to ride that if we're going to make it to dinner, or back to that show, or see the parade, or use our FP!"

If you can't make it...oh well...give your FP to someone who can. You've probably been on the ride 1231415252 times in the past and will ride it another 16632414 times in your life!

Thank the gods they're finally enforcing this.

In the years that I have been using FP, I have never, not been able to make it back during a FP window. If I get to an attraction and the window does meet our plans...life goes on. If we get FPs and decide later we don't want to wait for that window and want to do something else...we hand off our FPs to someone who can use them. It's really not a big deal.

As I mentioned in my previous post, we had an hour and 45 minutes to eat lunch before our FP expired... we thought that was plenty of time. Well guess what, by the time we were seated which took 20 minutes and finally ate, our FP's had expired. So what if someone has been on the same attraction 1231415252 times before? Whats the point of going to Disney then if not to ride the same attractions you've ridden before?

My point is just because none of the above circumstrances have ever happened to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other guests, because it does, as I've pointed out from personal experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom