Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Do you agree with the changes to the FASTPASS enforcement policy?

• Yes

Votes: 544 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 233 25.1%
  • I'm going to wait and see how it works

Votes: 153 16.5%

• Total voters

mickeysshoes

When I first read the title i was like WHAT...really but the more I think about I agree with the change. Use the system the way its meant to be used or dont use it at all.

disneydiva72

I never knew you could use get a fast pass and come back whenever you felt like it and noone would say anything, and here I was always rushing around trying to get back or saying "damn we missed that fast pass time" that actually makes me madder than the "change". Lol!

Matpez

The point is simple here, the FREE fastpass system will have these rules. If you don't like the rules or they don't work with your plans you can PURCHASE a pass that will.
That's how it is, period. At this point Disney Parks may be the only ones left who don't offer guests a shorter queue line if they are willing to pay for it and since they see the profit in such a system they are going to implement it.

None of the other points are valid in this model, whether your dinner went too long, transportation held you up, etc. The free FP is only good when it's good. Don't want to take that risk with your vacation, better purchase one that works for you.

Disneybear

I dont know if this has been asked before.

What happens when because of the poor maintenance at Disneyworld the inevitable happens and the ride breaks down at some point during the day.

Normally if you have a fastpass you are told to come back later as it will still be valid. This just means that there is normally a massive queue in the fastpass line later in the day and the standby line is a no go area.

Are these people with an ordinary fastpass now going to be told tough cheese? What about those who were in the stand by line and who got offered a fastpass to return later if there was a breakdown.

If you pay for fastpass you are going to be annoyed if a few hundred people suddenly turn up with free fastpasses ahead of you.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I dont know if this has been asked before.

What happens when because of the poor maintenance at Disneyworld the inevitable happens and the ride breaks down at some point during the day.

Normally if you have a fastpass you are told to come back later as it will still be valid. This just means that there is normally a massive queue in the fastpass line later in the day and the standby line is a no go area.

Are these people with an ordinary fastpass now going to be told tough cheese? What about those who were in the stand by line and who got offered a fastpass to return later if there was a breakdown.

If you pay for fastpass you are going to be annoyed if a few hundred people suddenly turn up with free fastpasses ahead of you.

I posed the exact same question about 15 pages ago and I don't think anybody has addressed it. If I'm late because it's my fault, I can totally accept that. Rules are rules; however, if the ride is 101 during my FP return window, what happens? I follow the rules and show up during the correct window of time, but the ride doesn't open up again until 30 minutes after the return window. What happens in that scenario?

My FP is now wasted because of a temporary ride closure? I can see this happening a lot at Space Mountain....

midwest_mice

So with this new gen phase I have a question: A few weeks ago I visited and got a Fastpass for Space Mountain. I went back, right in the window of my return time because that's the right thing to do. When I went through the Fastpass line, I gave my ticket the the CM and then waited in the inside que in Space Mountain. The wait was 15 minutes. Will this mean that Snobby Spoiled Little Susie whose parents pay for the NextGen will be able to bypass the inside que as well? Just wondering. I'd hate for little Susie to have to wait at all if mommy and daddy pay. I think it would be a slap in the face to FastPass users if this is the case.

Timekeeper

My favorite arguments involve Brazilian tour group hypotheticals. :hammer:

If 300 Brazilians get into the FP line much to the dismay of the policy proponents, well guess what, it doesn't matter if they are late, or on time, or Brazilian, or Chinese, or republican, or democrat, etc. Anytime 300 people get into the queue, whether it's FP or standby, it is going to cause a delay for other guests. :eek:

powlessfamily4

They enforced this for at least one day back in September when we were at EPCOT. We had fast passes to Soarin and arrived early. They asked us to stand to the side or come back. It didn't kill us. It did suprise us because we had never had a CM stop us like that before. I think that on some level it had to come to something like this. We have all seen FP lines become as long as regular standby lines. What is the purpose of FP is you ineveitably end up waiting almost the same amount of time?

midwest_mice

My favorite arguments involve Brazilian tour group hypotheticals. :hammer:

If 300 Brazilians get into the FP line much to the dismay of the policy proponents, well guess what, it doesn't matter if they are late, or on time, or Brazilian, or Chinese, or republican, or democrat, etc. Anytime 300 people get into the queue, whether it's FP or standby, it is going to cause a delay for other guests. :eek:

What makes me mad about some of these groups is my last trip, there was a long line for Space Mountain. The group decided to hop into the FastPass line halfway through the que to Space Mountain. When they got up to a CM, they played the "we didn't know" card and they were let through. That royally ed me off. As I abidded by the time on my FP and they didn't even have one. What made matters worse was the CM was "earning their ears" and the other CM that was overseeing this new CM was busy talking with an angry guest.

KevinYee

In the new system, the certain number of people that will be placed ahead of standby will be forced to even the load throughout the day, or don't ride at all. In this system it is more likely that any one person may not use their FP because they missed it.

I see the theory behind your statement, and agree it's logical, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the load-balancing will prove illusory. After all, in the outgoing system, I think there are plenty of FP tickets that never get used because they were held until the end of the day. The new system might even goose people enough to use their FP tickets that a day, on balance, would have FEWER abandoned reservations than the older system. That would be even worse news for standby.

PhilharMagician

Glad to see it finally happening. Now I wonder if they will cave in to the complaints?

This will definately effect wait times in some way with the FP's being used evenly throughout the day. Curious to see what happens to stand-by times.

TiggersPooh

They enforced this for at least one day back in September when we were at EPCOT. We had fast passes to Soarin and arrived early. They asked us to stand to the side or come back. It didn't kill us. It did suprise us because we had never had a CM stop us like that before. I think that on some level it had to come to something like this. We have all seen FP lines become as long as regular standby lines. What is the purpose of FP is you ineveitably end up waiting almost the same amount of time?

You arrived early...early arrivals were never allowed in. Second line on the back of your fastpass.

Bolna

There seems to be very little discussion about the new rule to let people in 5 minutes early. So far the FP window start time has always been something that was enforced. But I think that this new change will actually be quite helpful. It will eliminate the groups of people standing in front of the FP entrance to wait for their window to open. Now the CM can either tell the people to step away because it is still quite a while until their FP window opens or let them in if they arrive within 5 minutes.

I see the theory behind your statement, and agree it's logical, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the load-balancing will prove illusory. After all, in the outgoing system, I think there are plenty of FP tickets that never get used because they were held until the end of the day. The new system might even goose people enough to use their FP tickets that a day, on balance, would have FEWER abandoned reservations than the older system. That would be even worse news for standby.

I am not sure which system leads to more abandoned FPs. But what the new system might lead to (in an ideal word with thinking park guests) could be that people realize that now is not the time for them to get a FP because the return time won't work. Therefore the popular FPs might not run out as quickly. This should especially applay to the people who liked to collect FPs during the day to use them in the evening.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it works when the new policy comes into effect!

We have never, in all the million fastpasses we've used, NOT returned during our window. I guess we were fools missing out on some rides if dinner ran late or whatever. I suppose the only way this will affect us is that now, our fastpass line will be longer, since everyone else will be following the rules now too...

Actually, with the 5 minutes prior and 15 minutes after, it just extended my fastpass time by 20 minutes... FREAKING AWESOME!!! lol...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am not sure which system leads to more abandoned FPs. But what the new system might lead to (in an ideal word with thinking park guests) could be that people realize that now is not the time for them to get a FP because the return time won't work. Therefore the popular FPs might not run out as quickly. This should especially applay to the people who liked to collect FPs during the day to use them in the evening.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it works when the new policy comes into effect!

In theory you are correct.

Disney will have to be unbelievably, emphatically clear about this policy though. If there is any lack of communication, then people will continue to grab fastpasses regardless of return time windows.

If, however, Disney makes it clear enough to the average guest. The perhaps you are right. Fastpasses will last longer into the day, and perhaps the standby lines will be positively impacted.

Timekeeper

What makes me mad about some of these groups is my last trip, there was a long line for Space Mountain. The group decided to hop into the FastPass line halfway through the que to Space Mountain. When they got up to a CM, they played the "we didn't know" card and they were let through. That royally ed me off. As I abidded by the time on my FP and they didn't even have one. What made matters worse was the CM was "earning their ears" and the other CM that was overseeing this new CM was busy talking with an angry guest.

Ouch. Are you sure that they were let onto the ride (instead of directed to exit out of your line of view?) I have NEVER seen a CM cave to guests who obviously hopped over the rails mid-que (since an exterior CM checks for FPs too). And they definitely wouldn't be inclined to accommodate such a large group at the expense of frustrating so many other guests. :hurl:

smw

This pity party is getting embarrassing, people.

I'm sure there'll be a way to satisfy issues like rides being down. They'll probably have an anytime fast pass or something. Chill out. This is such a ridiculous thread.

And the transportation issues "causing" you to be late... How about you don't leave the park if you've got a fast pass in a few hours? And if you don't wanna be there to wait for your time, don't get that fastpass.

Really, people.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting results on the poll so far - 55% of you are in favor of the changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom