News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

Bye, Bye, Mr. Magic Eye.
Your disparaged shape has made me cry.
Captain EO may have gone to the sky.
But I hope this won’t be the time that you’ll die, this won’t be the time that you’ll die...
Confirmed: I am now scared.

Unless this means an expansion to the Imagination pavilion. I'd be okay with some more glass pyramids, as long as a certain resident stays. But like others said, there's nothing there. Just more green space.

smile

I'm taking my fiance to Disney World next month for his very first time and he loves Figment from everything I've shown him, but I know he's going to be so disappointed at current Journey Into Imagination :grumpy:

don't tell me you've shown him the original version... before he's riden the current version?
why are you marrying someone you obviously don't even love?

HauntedMansionFLA

Bye, Bye, Mr. Magic Eye.
But I hope this won’t be the time that you’ll die, this won’t be the time that you’ll die...
Any chance for a 3D Frozen movie? Kidding. It would be nice if there was a 3D Figment movie and along with re fresh of the ride. Figment is popular and unique.

Haymarket2008

Bye, Bye, Mr. Magic Eye.

Wowow. That's news. Possible expansion of the pavilion's ride footprint? Or land that could connect Showcase to Future World?

Mainahman

I just keep waiting for a dream finder return....

f9jk8m.jpg

sedati

The thing that intrigues me most about the D23 blue sky concept art for Future World is the apparent removal of Earth Station.

What made Spaceship Earth a true marvel of engineering was how they took the concept of a geodesic dome and pushed it to a full geodesic sphere. Only you wouldn't know that from inside the park. From outside we are greeting by the inspiring ball held aloft in the distance. From within that park what we really see is far more akin to what had been done before, such as the dome from the 1967 Montreal Expo:
1515985356204.png

Compare that with this image taken from http://www.disneytouristblog.com/spaceship-earth-vintage-photos/ where you can find many more great examples of the visual obstructions that have existed from day one:
1515987002237.png

The load and unload sit at the back base of Spaceship Earth, but it seems this only occupies about 1/4 of the Earth Station structure, and more importantly, half its height. I'd be very curious what views would be afforded if we stripped the backside down to the bare essentials (and following that thought, what kind of views might the loss of the massive Communicore buildings offer?)

Try an experiment and look up Spaceship Earth images. Now, once you get over the fact that a great many of those still show the horrendous wand, note how many of the top hits are from the front. Then look at those taken from within the park, and particularly those from Future World- can you see what makes this structure stand out from any that came before? All that ingenuity, innovation, and hard work, and yet they never bothered to show it off from the places most guests will be spending the majority of their park day. Go as far back as Japan, and at best you see 7/8ths of a sphere. I hope something can be done to better show of this true jewel, because some day I'm going to get hurt as I always leave Epcot by walking backwards as I try to savour the amazing view that's only offered from the entrance of the park.

Last edited:

sedati

I'll admit, I was lucky enough to see Space Mountain after they had just painted it this fall and it looked amazing. But white is really hard to keep pristine and it can be really hard on the eyes. We've had this debate before, but I don't believe any building in Future World has ever been white. Earth Station I belive has come the closest, but in actuality, has fluctuated between gray and beige. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and also let me know if I'm not the only one who finds a single pair of sunglasses doesn't seem like enough on a sunny day at Epcot.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'll admit, I was lucky enough to see Space Mountain after they had just painted it this fall and it looked amazing. But white is really hard to keep pristine and it can be really hard on the eyes. We've had this debate before, but I don't believe any building in Future World has ever been white. Earth Station I belive has come the closest, but in actuality, has fluctuated between gray and beige. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and also let me know if I'm not the only one who finds a single pair of sunglasses doesn't seem like enough on a sunny day at Epcot.

@marni1971 what were the original colors of the Comminicore /Earth Station buildings? I seem to remember you posting some great photos of them at some point.

Monorail_Red_77

The thing that intrigues me most about the D23 blue sky concept art for Future World is the apparent removal of Earth Station.

What made Spaceship Earth a true marvel of engineering was how they took the concept of a geodesic dome and pushed it to a full geodesic sphere. Only you wouldn't know that from inside the park. From outside we are greeting by the inspiring ball held aloft in the distance. From within that park what we really see is far more akin to what had been done before, such as the dome from the 1967 Montreal Expo:
View attachment 256450

Compare that with this image taken from http://www.disneytouristblog.com/spaceship-earth-vintage-photos/ where you can find many more great examples of the visual obstructions that have existed from day one:
View attachment 256469

The load and unload sit at the back base of Spaceship Earth, but it seems this only occupies about 1/4 of the Earth Station structure, and more importantly, half its height. I'd be very curious what views would be afforded if we stripped the backside down to the bare essentials (and following that thought, what kind of views might the loss of the massive Communicore buildings offer?)

Try an experiment and look up Spaceship Earth images. Now, once you get over the fact that a great many of those still show the horrendous wand, note how many of the top hits are from the front. Then look at those taken from within the park, and particularly those from Future World- can you see what makes this structure stand out from any that came before? All that ingenuity, innovation, and hard work, and yet they never bothered to show it off from the places most guests will be spending the majority of their park day. Go as far back as Japan, and at best you see 7/8ths of a sphere. I hope something can be done to better show of this true jewel, because some day I'm going to get hurt as I always leave Epcot by walking backwards as I try to savour the amazing view that's only offered from the entrance of the park.
Yes, awesome view from the front. You'll have less chance to get hurt leaving the entrance once they remove the monoliths. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom