News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

mikejs78

Premium Member
If I were in charge of revitalizing Future World, here's what I would do, assuming that IPs need to be included in some places and the Guardian's Coaster is here to stay. I'm keeping it *mostly* realistic in what I think would be possible (other than my idea for Space perhaps, and my very last far-fetched idea).
  • Repaint the Communicore Buildings to the original colors, remove the cheesy sinage
  • Add more greenery in the Spine area, but not by demolishing any buildings. Frankly, the picture posted by @marni1971 above looks gorgeous - Epcot used to have more green.
  • For the Guardian's ride, change the ride's premise to be about energy in the universe and the various forms it takes. Make the queue and preshows fit this theme, with the coaster being a ride with a potentially future form of energy (Matter/Antimatter for example).. (Not ideal, I know, but trying to make the best of a not great situation).
  • For WoL: This could be a multi-IP attraction. A Baymax-themed general human biology type attraction - they could do a new version of Body Wars, but with FoP-like tech, and an attraction around the human mind with Inside Out.
  • For Space: Construct a new show building behind/next to the current one and add in the attraction that was originally slated to be part of Journey's In Space
  • For Test Track: Keep it essentially the way it is; plus it a bit so that the ride and simulation of the vehicle you designed seem to go together more.
  • For Seas: Re-theme it to be the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory. I'd give it a fresh makeover to match that theme, spruce up the paint job, etc. Turtle Talk is fine in this context too. For the main ride, I'd redo the show, keep the projections, but have the characters teach about Marine Life - maybe talk about the different areas in the tanks and some of the different Marine Life.
  • For Land: Not many complaints here, just plus LWTL a little, (Fix the AA's, better narration...) and maybe freshen up the Pavillion a bit.. Add a new show to replace Circle of Life using Wall-E.
  • For Imagination: A return to the "wonder" Figment and Dreamfinder. Doesn't have to be the same show as previously, but similar in spirit. Revitalize Imageworks. Return Figment to the "park mascot" role.
  • For Spaceship Earth: New narrator, fix the ending.
  • For Communicore/Innoventions: If corporate sponsors can't be found to sponsor attractions, then turn East into a STEM showcase (like a Science museum), with different shows and exhibits focused around various STEM topics. SpectacuLAB is a decent start to this. Oh, and bring back SOAT. For West, keep the meet-and-greets - as much as I don't care for it, there is demand for it, but confine it to mostly characters/IP that aren't in the other parks - Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It-Ralph, Wall-E, and Dreamfinder/Figment.
And if the above wasn't enough of a pipe dream, here's my real pipe-dream wish:
  • Utilize the expansion pad between Land and Seas to build a new attraction focused on the future - an omnimover dark ride, Horizons for the 21st century. (Ideally this would move to between WoL and TT, and Space would move here so you have the Land/Space/Seas grouping, but that's even more far-fetched than building this attraction is).

Mainahman

If I were in charge of revitalizing Future World, here's what I would do, assuming that IPs need to be included in some places and the Guardian's Coaster is here to stay. I'm keeping it *mostly* realistic in what I think would be possible (other than my idea for Space perhaps, and my very last far-fetched idea).
  • Repaint the Communicore Buildings to the original colors, remove the cheesy sinage
  • Add more greenery in the Spine area, but not by demolishing any buildings. Frankly, the picture posted by @marni1971 above looks gorgeous - Epcot used to have more green.
  • For the Guardian's ride, change the ride's premise to be about energy in the universe and the various forms it takes. Make the queue and preshows fit this theme, with the coaster being a ride with a potentially future form of energy (Matter/Antimatter for example).. (Not ideal, I know, but trying to make the best of a not great situation).
  • For WoL: This could be a multi-IP attraction. A Baymax-themed general human biology type attraction - they could do a new version of Body Wars, but with FoP-like tech, and an attraction around the human mind with Inside Out.
  • For Space: Construct a new show building behind/next to the current one and add in the attraction that was originally slated to be part of Journey's In Space
  • For Test Track: Keep it essentially the way it is; plus it a bit so that the ride and simulation of the vehicle you designed seem to go together more.
  • For Seas: Re-theme it to be the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory. I'd give it a fresh makeover to match that theme, spruce up the paint job, etc. Turtle Talk is fine in this context too. For the main ride, I'd redo the show, keep the projections, but have the characters teach about Marine Life - maybe talk about the different areas in the tanks and some of the different Marine Life.
  • For Land: Not many complaints here, just plus LWTL a little, (Fix the AA's, better narration...) and maybe freshen up the Pavillion a bit.. Add a new show to replace Circle of Life using Wall-E.
  • For Imagination: A return to the "wonder" Figment and Dreamfinder. Doesn't have to be the same show as previously, but similar in spirit. Revitalize Imageworks. Return Figment to the "park mascot" role.
  • For Communicore/Innoventions: If corporate sponsors can't be found to sponsor attractions, then turn East into a STEM showcase (like a Science museum), with different shows and exhibits focused around various STEM topics. SpectacuLAB is a decent start to this. Oh, and bring back SOAT. For West, keep the meet-and-greets - as much as I don't care for it, there is demand for it, but confine it to mostly characters/IP that aren't in the other parks - Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It-Ralph, Wall-E, and Dreamfinder/Figment.
  • Utilize the expansion pad between Land and Seas to build a new attraction focused on the future - an omnimover dark ride, Horizons for the 21st century. (Ideally this would move to between WoL and TT, and Space would move here so you have the Land/Space/Seas grouping, but that's even more far-fetched than building this attraction is).
i would give everything to see a return of dreamfinder! the things that could be done!!!

Haymarket2008

My thoughts EXACTLY. And quite an easy fix, all things considered.

Winter

People can't get over the fact that they got rid of Horizons 19 years ago can they -_-

I do agree with a lot of this though. That's a really good way to ultitize Guardians and WOL.

FrankLapidus

People can't get over the fact that they got rid of Horizons 19 years ago can they -_-

Nor Wonders of Life, World of Motion and Imagination.

Which is a testament to the quality and impact of those attractions, and to the initial ambition of Epcot. I love Test Track (preferred the original version to the current one personally), but Epcot just isn't what it once was. And that might not be a bad thing in some people's eyes; I'm just not one of those people.

Winter

Such is the impact it had.
Yeah. It must have been a great ride. Shame I never got to go on it, it was removed before I was even born. :p I don't even go on Mission Space, lol

Still though, if Splash Mountain or Soarin closed, I wouldn't still be heavily complaining about it 20 years later. I'm not directing that guy specifically, in fact I wouldn't say that was a bad idea at all if Horizons was really as good as people say, but I say that to the whole forum really. Doesn't make any sense to continue to cry about it 20 years later.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yeah. It must have been a great ride. Shame I never got to go on it, it was removed before I was even born. :p I don't even go on Mission Space, lol

Still though, if Splash Mountain or Soarin closed, I wouldn't still be heavily complaining about it 20 years later. I'm not directing that guy specifically, in fact I wouldn't say that was a bad idea at all if Horizons was really as good as people say, but I say that to the whole forum really. Doesn't make any sense to continue to cry about it 20 years later.

If they took away Splash I would almost assuredly be "whining" about it in 20 years time. It's having a great run but if or when it does close I'll be memorializing it with fond remembrance... the same way folks remember Horizons.

I never got to witness Horizons. Thankfully videos do it justice. It looked like a unique quality darkride.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
It’s not crying. It’s the opinion that very little has come close to matching it since. That’s the lasting impact it had.

Maybe you had to experience it to understand. I don’t know.
It's the attraction that made me a Disney World fan as a kid - I was just filled with amazement every time I rode it. I wanted to live in that future.

WDW Guru

Im just seeing this on Wikipedia. Haven’t seen any news or rumors surrounding it so am very skeptical of it. Also when I was at Imagination last week didn’t see any sign of a sponsorship from Sony.

00F607B5-DD40-4601-839A-4E0C78CB1B30.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Im just seeing this on Wikipedia. Haven’t seen any news or rumors surrounding it so am very skeptical of it. Also when I was at Imagination last week didn’t see any sign of a sponsorship from Sony.

View attachment 257115

Hmm... It is Wikipedia, and freely editable, so either someone with knowledge that has not been made public yet has updated the page (unlikely, I'd say), or else someone's messing around (more likely).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom