News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Haven't seen the short, could you explain the reference? I think this is a case of them just spelling out what seemed pretty obvious. It looked like a duck, walked like a duck, and quacked like a duct, but everyone here was determined to call it a giraffe.

One of the family's holiday tradition was to bake a cookie in the shape of Norway.

sedati

One of the family's holiday tradition was to bake a cookie in the shape of Norway.
Well, that's subtle. Norway is kind of shaped like a ladle, so maybe it was a bad attempt at a ladle shaped cookie. Still, could be that this particular family has a fondness for Norway (a country with no ties or resemblance whatsoever to Arendelle.)

JoeCamel

Well, that's subtle. Norway is kind of shaped like a ladle, so maybe it was a bad attempt at a ladle shaped cookie. Still, could be that this particular family has a fondness for Norway (a country with no ties or resemblance whatsoever to Arendelle.)
Maybe you should just go and see what the deal is.....

SpaceMountain77

As of now, only Guardians and the Dining: Space are fully approved. Communicrossroads is practically greenlit, but in design purgatory. The only other pavillion that could have a change by 2021 (barring a last minute "IP-rovement" based on something kewl and fresh at Imagination or Seas) would be the Land. As for Spaceship, Seas, and Imagination, they will each get their reno in due time (pre-2030, post-2021, and in the order listed). Also, unless Guardians takes-off in more ways than are on the blueprints and price tag, Festival Center will live on.

What may be in the cards for The Land Pavilion?

SpaceMountain77

After staying at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, putting a hotel at the entrance of Epcot is a terrible idea. The reason is; at first approaching the hotel and park is exciting. However, after paying a premium to stay at the flagship hotel, what you don't realize is everybody enters/exits the park under the hotel, and that traffic, takes the exclusivity, and magic out of it. People constantly hung around the hotel, and streams of loud people moving through it was disappointing. If they do decide to do this, I hope that the park guests are routed round the sides of the hotel, opposed though the center.

I sincerely apologize for openly sharing this perspective, but your post was somewhat aligned with the thought that I had when the rumor began circulating. Given the recent shooting in Las Vegas and heightened security at the parks and resorts, I am truly surprised that an in-park resort would be considered and, potentially, constructed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Arendelle is a fictitious Scandinavian country. The ruse for the Royal Sommerhus is that they visited Norway as kids on the summer vacation and are returning to the childhood summer home. That explains why they're in Norway.

The ruse for the ride is you're visiting Elsa's ice palace. There is no pretense in the ride that we are anywhere but Arendelle, a fake country "inspired" by Norway.
And yet, in the new Frozen short, bakers in Arendale bake cookies in the shape of Norway...

FigmentForver96

And yet, in the new Frozen short, bakers in Arendale bake cookies in the shape of Norway...
And????? That makes Arendale any more real? Frozen did not take place in Norway even if the movie is inspired by there. Ratatoullie was in Paris therefore actually took place in a real location in the real world. Frozen did not. So to have Frozen in the country as if it was the representation of the country makes no sense.

rreading

And????? That makes Arendale any more real? Frozen did not take place in Norway even if the movie is inspired by there. Ratatoullie was in Paris therefore actually took place in a real location in the real world. Frozen did not. So to have Frozen in the country as if it was the representation of the country makes no sense.

At this point, it appears that Disney’s party line is that Arendale is an aspect (?small country within vs province vs...?) of Norway. When we visit the Stave Church, we appreciate the Nordic tradition as it was represented well in the movie; and my kids are FAR more interested in learning in this context.

And by the way, my understanding is that they did create Arendale as if it were a representation of Norway. They just didn’t call it that.

PREMiERdrum

As of now the expansion wouldn’t.

It’s that ten year time again (though it’ll be more like fifteen)

Flip side of that coin... would the refresh move away from live marine mammals? I don't have a problem with the concept, but the current living situation for the dolphins is far worse than any Seaword park or Mexican resort.

DisneyDodo

The average person will learn just as much, if not more, about Norway from watching Frozen as they would about France from Ratatouille.

And yes, it does appear that Frozen took place in Norway, with Arendelle being a more specific, independently governed, location within Norway. Yes, it’s fictitious, but so is the restaurant Remy works at - doesn’t mean it’s not located in Paris

Last edited:

Amidala

Well yeah. The ride's story is an 30 second Elsa meet and greet taking place on a boat. Of course an actual Anna and Elsa meet and greet would be better then that.

I definitely sympathize w/ the argument that Frozen doesn't belong in Norway (although the ship has sailed there, and I'm not as bothered by it as some) but totally disagree on this. I've heard it said that if the Frozen ride was built in MK Fantasyland, it would be the best ride there and I agree. I know people have reservations about projected faces on animatronics, but I found them to be really convincing, and the Olaf animatronic doubly so. The "Let it Go" scene could have used a little more, but the others were beautiful, and I think the Frozen updates suited the ride really well. Especially when you consider that the base ride wasn't originally built for this purpose.

All that being said, Arendelle is a fictional place...Paris isn't. IMO Ratatouille reads very much like a love letter to France–the movie wouldn't work elsewhere. Frozen was only ever meant to be vaguely Scandinavian. Before now, there was nothing actually tying Frozen to Norway except the fashion inspiration. Disney is making Arendelle out to be Norwegian after the fact because it benefits them to do so. It's not something that keeps me up at night personally, but if you're a stickler for accuracy in World Showcase, I can see a big difference between the two.

The woman sings that she's baking the cookie in the shape of Norway, so it was definitely deliberate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom