News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

With how tight some of the walkways are, can you even fit a cart in there? Even a small cart would be a sizable bottleneck if placed anywhere in the gardens.

Maybe WDI designed it like that on purpose to keep carts out? Haha
Two of the paths in the southeast garden terminate in alcoves, and the northwest garden is obviously very open at the moment without entertainment. There is also a pre-planned kiosk that's presumably still happening along the path to The Land. If they end up shoving things into the gardens, I imagine they'll go there.

James Alucobond

@tparris BTW, I didn't see it in any of the pictures but may have missed it—did you catch a glimpse of what's going on behind Dreamers Point? Is it just a curved wall of corten steel, or is there a bench or something there? It looked a bit weird from the aerial shots, so I was curious how that turned out.

tparris

@tparris BTW, I didn't see it in any of the pictures but may have missed it—did you catch a glimpse of what's going on behind Dreamers Point? Is it just a curved wall of corten steel, or is there a bench or something there? It looked a bit weird from the aerial shots, so I was curious how that turned out.
There was something there made out of corten steel, but it was blocked by rolling planters. It had a sort of framed out, skeletal structure to it, but I’m not sure what it was.

WDWFREAK53

Now I’m just armchair engineering here…
They added Journey of Water which is fine for what it is but misplaced.

How would you have felt if they utilized the entirety of the central spine to create a massive walkthrough attraction of sorts (like JoW) with multiple spots to enter/exit. Areas that tie in the surrounding pavilions and in the center, a grand Walt statue as if these ideas were all centered around him?

Virtual Toad

I've been considering the pics if the refurbishment all afternoon. The first thing that came to my mind was "it's a park without a theme inside a park without a theme."

However, if we consider that the closest thing Epcot now has to a theme is "festival park," the concept behind the new area starts to make a lot of sense. It's really not much more than a permanent version of the various temporary seating/landscaped areas they put in place in FW during previous festival periods.

Those who still long for the grander vision of the old Epcot (myself included) may find the new central core lacking. But it's clear Disney has been working hard to reset guests' expectations when it comes to Epcot the past several years-- so again, with that in mind, the new area achieves its purpose as an extension of the year-round festival theme. The reason it doesn't try to be more is that it simply no longer has to.

James Alucobond

I've been considering the pics if the refurbishment all afternoon. The first thing that came to my mind was "it's a park without a theme inside a park without a theme."

However, if we consider that the closest thing Epcot now has to a theme is "festival park," the concept behind the new area starts to make a lot of sense. It's really not much more than a permanent version of the various temporary seating/landscaped areas they put in place in FW during previous festival periods.

Those who still long for the grander vision of the old Epcot (myself included) may find the new central core lacking. But it's clear Disney has been working hard to reset guests' expectations when it comes to Epcot the past several years-- so again, with that in mind, the new area achieves its purpose as an extension of the year-round festival theme. The reason it doesn't try to be more is that it simply no longer has to.
I understand this sentiment relative to the contents of original CommuniCore buildings, but when did the central plaza ever aspire to be more than patios, gardens, water features, and kiosks? It's cool to prefer past designs for this space or to take issue with not making the most of the redesign to do more (meeting expectations rather than exceeding them), but these gardens were never home to some unique grand vision.

Disney Analyst

I understand this sentiment relative to the contents of original CommuniCore buildings, but when did the central plaza ever aspire to be more than patios, gardens, water features, and kiosks? It's cool to prefer past designs for this space or to take issue with not making the most of the redesign to do more (meeting expectations rather than exceeding them), but these gardens were never home to some unique grand vision.

Agreed.

Unless this was the revolutionary vision we all saw for the world:

1701738401941.png

Where as parks, nature, greenery, feels like a far greater vision for the world we want to live in than the previous iteration. It feels inviting, relaxing, and natural.

1701738445181.png

Mickeynerd17

Where as parks, nature, greenery, feels like a far greater vision for the world we want to live in than the previous iteration. It feels inviting, relaxing, and natural.
I agree.

Yet, it still baffles me that WDI doesn't seem to realize they got it right the first time. The perfect blend of the above.

1701739642387.png

Is it really that hard to go back to something like this with some more trees and a new fountain?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom