News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

flyerjab

We will be there this weekend. I think this area looks great and I cannot wait to FINALLY see this. To see this part of Epcot transform from day to night should really be fantastic to see.

It’s kind of nice when I think about this trip. We can check out the new central spine, JoW, and eat at Shiki-Sai. My wife and I will then cap off the evening with Luminous. Will also try to catch some lunch at Eet in Disney Springs. This time of year is always a more leisurely type of experience: checking out the holiday decorations at the parks and the resorts. So this redesigned area of Epcot will fit the bill perfectly.

MrPromey

Today's future is going to be rusty!
Time for a cross promo!

51ZD6yomptL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

James Alucobond

I'd argue the original architectural/design choices for the area did achieve the goal of setting the stage for a grand adventure of world culture and future possibilities. Much like a cinematic "reveal," guests were funneled through a relatively narrow area under/around Spaceship Earth before heading into an increasingly wider plaza, one that offered a grand and open view, filled with the kinetics of the Fountain of Nations and the energetic vibe of hundreds of guests heading off in different directions. "Which way should we go first?" asked excited guests because the environment beckoned them to do so. The space was deliberately vast and open to reflect a future full of endless possibilities.

The scene was also framed deliberately by two symmetrical buildings, which provided a visual buffer intentionally blocking the view of the various Future World pavilions. That again was a deliberate and cinematic design choice intended to build excitement in stages. Guests would be energized by the plaza and hyped again as they turned right, left or straight ahead. Turning right or left through the central breezeways narrowed the vision to set the stage for the grand reveal of the Future World pavilions; straight ahead then left or right around the fountain revealed the wonder of World Showcase in the distance.

In those ways the old plaza served the purpose of the old EPCOT because it was intentionally set up as a series of build-up/reveals. Just as important, the symmetry of the Communicore buidings re-enforced the concepts of harmony and balance which were key to the original EPCOT concept.

Changes over time (including the addition of the tarps and pin trading station) were questionable additions to say the least, but overall the plaza still fulfilled its purpose as a stage-setter for the adventure ahead.

Which is why I think the new area fulfills its purpose within the theme of the new Epcot. The old themes of grand ideas, endless possibilities, technological wonders, utopian concepts and inter-cultural cooperation have been replaced with a "fun festival" concept.

I think that's a woefully low bar for Epcot to aspire to, but that's the Epcot we now have. So to that end, I think the new core fits the new theme and resulting expectations quite nicely. And that's not intended as a slam. It simply is what it is and fits the new ethos of the park as it stands today.
This just boils down to visual scale and level of intimacy. The function of the space remains unchanged. I could write a similar series of paragraphs on how the new design relates to technologies rooted in fostering human connection, facilitating intimate experiences, and making things feel personal—not that I really buy that, but you get the gist. The point is that the literal ground the gardens exist on has always functionally been a passthrough to adjacent lands with space for dining alongside some gardens and water features. The degree to which it is aesthetically effective has varied and is open to debate, but that specific plot of land has never actually "done" more or less.

Horizonsfan

I'll preface by saying I would have preferred that they kept the Innoventions/Communicore West building. The built edge helped to define the park's core & maybe more importantly, there was more space for all-weather utilization, something that modern WDI & TDO disregard too often for WDW.

That said, we must stop saying the CC/Innoventions were symmetrical. At the park's opening, the Fountainview and Stargate/EU appendages were sticking out into the central core. Then at varying times, there were the Outreach Center and Centorium expansions. That core has always been non-symmetrical. What the core had was a consistent design language. I think it's fair to miss that, but let's be clear about what it was.

Epcot82Guy

I'll preface by saying I would have preferred that they kept the Innoventions/Communicore West building. The built edge helped to define the park's core & maybe more importantly, there was more space for all-weather utilization, something that modern WDI & TDO disregard too often for WDW.

That said, we must stop saying the CC/Innoventions were symmetrical. At the park's opening, the Fountainview and Stargate/EU appendages were sticking out into the central core. Then at varying times, there were the Outreach Center and Centorium expansions. That core has always been non-symmetrical. What the core had was a consistent design language. I think it's fair to miss that, but let's be clear about what it was.

While there is truth to that, it was balanced and followed a general symmetry of design principle. The walkways along SSE have never been truly symmetrical, but they were balanced.

The problem we have now is the new design is not symmetrical, is not asymmetrical (from a design perspective) and is not balanced. I actually think they should have designed CommuniCore Hall with a totally different shape and orientation. Having a missing 1/4 is too close to symmetry to feel like intentional asymmetrical design. And, to your own argument, the current iterations actually added more symmetry to the remaining 3 sections.

I'll give up symmetry for balanced design. But this just isn't that.

Horizonsfan

While there is truth to that, it was balanced and followed a general symmetry of design principle. The walkways along SSE have never been truly symmetrical, but they were balanced.

The problem we have now is the new design is not symmetrical, is not asymmetrical (from a design perspective) and is not balanced. I actually think they should have designed CommuniCore Hall with a totally different shape and orientation. Having a missing 1/4 is too close to symmetry to feel like intentional asymmetrical design. And, to your own argument, the current iterations actually added more symmetry to the remaining 3 sections.

I'll give up symmetry for balanced design. But this just isn't that.
Yes, balance is the more accurate term for what people are incorrectly calling symmetry.

To that point, the new CC Hall does not get closer to symmetrical. It's getting farther away from it. However, I agree with you that the balance has been broken between the western and eastern halves of the core.

Vegas Disney Fan

Agreed.

Unless this was the revolutionary vision we all saw for the world:

View attachment 757502

Where as parks, nature, greenery, feels like a far greater vision for the world we want to live in than the previous iteration. It feels inviting, relaxing, and natural.

View attachment 757503

What a massive improvement! Absolutely love this.

I agree.

Yet, it still baffles me that WDI doesn't seem to realize they got it right the first time. The perfect blend of the above.

View attachment 757505

Is it really that hard to go back to something like this with some more trees and a new fountain?

Returning to this would have been equally as nice. I’m just glad the concrete jungle is a thing of the past.

UNCgolf

Returning to this would have been equally as nice. I’m just glad the concrete jungle is a thing of the past.

I can't imagine anyone wishes the 1990s era giant concrete plaza was still there.

That said, I do wonder if crowd flow was part of the reason for the change from the 1980s version to that concrete plaza? I have no idea if it was, but if so, they may have accidentally recreated an old problem.

James Alucobond

That said, I do wonder if crowd flow was part of the reason for the change from the 1980s version to that concrete plaza? I have no idea if it was, but if so, they may have accidentally recreated an old problem.
I think it will still be clearer overall since Fountain View and the Electric Umbrella patio no longer disrupt traffic around the perimeter, but I guess we'll have to see how it plays out in practice.

FerretAfros

View attachment 757404View attachment 757405

The other site is reporting rusty "benches" (an imagineer told them it was a bench). Apparently they sat down on it and it left behind residue.
It’s part of their plan to make the park “more Disney,” since obviously a park with a made-up name that has entered the popular lexicon could never stand on its own merits. It needs more branded IP from franchises that are past their prime! With these new benches, whenever somebody somebody stands up and finds their backside covered in residue, this song will start playing from hidden speakers:

The one that looks like female genitalia? :rolleyes:
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the central planter looks like something Georgia O’Keefe would have made. Of all the design choices they made in this redo, it’s one of them.

vikescaper

I can't imagine anyone wishes the 1990s era giant concrete plaza was still there.

Weren’t the main circulation corridors in both CommuniCore buildings designed with crowd flow in mind? Once those were eliminated, they had to create the concrete plaza.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'd argue the original architectural/design choices for the area did achieve the goal of setting the stage for a grand adventure of world culture and future possibilities. Much like a cinematic "reveal," guests were funneled through a relatively narrow area under/around Spaceship Earth before heading into an increasingly wider plaza, one that offered a grand and open view, filled with the kinetics of the Fountain of Nations and the energetic vibe of hundreds of guests heading off in different directions. "Which way should we go first?" asked excited guests because the environment beckoned them to do so. The space was deliberately vast and open to reflect a future full of endless possibilities.

The scene was also framed deliberately by two symmetrical buildings, which provided a visual buffer intentionally blocking the view of the various Future World pavilions. That again was a deliberate and cinematic design choice intended to build excitement in stages. Guests would be energized by the plaza and hyped again as they turned right, left or straight ahead. Turning right or left through the central breezeways narrowed the vision to set the stage for the grand reveal of the Future World pavilions; straight ahead then left or right around the fountain revealed the wonder of World Showcase in the distance.

In those ways the old plaza served the purpose of the old EPCOT because it was intentionally set up as a series of build-up/reveals. Just as important, the symmetry of the Communicore buidings re-enforced the concepts of harmony and balance which were key to the original EPCOT concept.

Changes over time (including the addition of the tarps and pin trading station) were questionable additions to say the least, but overall the plaza still fulfilled its purpose as a stage-setter for the adventure ahead.

Which is why I think the new area fulfills its purpose within the theme of the new Epcot. The old themes of grand ideas, endless possibilities, technological wonders, utopian concepts and inter-cultural cooperation have been replaced with a "fun festival" concept.

I think that's a woefully low bar for Epcot to aspire to, but that's the Epcot we now have. So to that end, I think the new core fits the new theme and resulting expectations quite nicely. And that's not intended as a slam. It simply is what it is and fits the new ethos of the park as it stands today.
Let's revisit that in terms of completion. When it opened and for the first few decades, World showcase had lots of empty expansion pads and the central hub area was stuffed full, now it's been flipped. The utopian inter-cultural relationship ideal falls on pretty deaf ears these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom