News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'd argue the original architectural/design choices for the area did achieve the goal of setting the stage for a grand adventure of world culture and future possibilities. Much like a cinematic "reveal," guests were funneled through a relatively narrow area under/around Spaceship Earth before heading into an increasingly wider plaza, one that offered a grand and open view, filled with the kinetics of the Fountain of Nations and the energetic vibe of hundreds of guests heading off in different directions. "Which way should we go first?" asked excited guests because the environment beckoned them to do so. The space was deliberately vast and open to reflect a future full of endless possibilities.

The scene was also framed deliberately by two symmetrical buildings, which provided a visual buffer intentionally blocking the view of the various Future World pavilions. That again was a deliberate and cinematic design choice intended to build excitement in stages. Guests would be energized by the plaza and hyped again as they turned right, left or straight ahead. Turning right or left through the central breezeways narrowed the vision to set the stage for the grand reveal of the Future World pavilions; straight ahead then left or right around the fountain revealed the wonder of World Showcase in the distance.

In those ways the old plaza served the purpose of the old EPCOT because it was intentionally set up as a series of build-up/reveals. Just as important, the symmetry of the Communicore buidings re-enforced the concepts of harmony and balance which were key to the original EPCOT concept.

Changes over time (including the addition of the tarps and pin trading station) were questionable additions to say the least, but overall the plaza still fulfilled its purpose as a stage-setter for the adventure ahead.

Which is why I think the new area fulfills its purpose within the theme of the new Epcot. The old themes of grand ideas, endless possibilities, technological wonders, utopian concepts and inter-cultural cooperation have been replaced with a "fun festival" concept.

I think that's a woefully low bar for Epcot to aspire to, but that's the Epcot we now have. So to that end, I think the new core fits the new theme and resulting expectations quite nicely. And that's not intended as a slam. It simply is what it is and fits the new ethos of the park as it stands today.
Let's revisit that in terms of completion. When it opened and for the first few decades, World showcase had lots of empty expansion pads and the central hub area was stuffed full, now it's been flipped. The utopian inter-cultural relationship ideal falls on pretty deaf ears these days.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
It looks really good to me - minus the FoN removal. I think it's gonna be a nice spot to hang out, and the influx of nature into Epcot is an obvious plus. It just sucks Communicore isn't ready for opening today with the rest of the area.
I also agree it looks like Walt is taking a 💩, so that could've been done better.
Overall, I love the way it looks, almost entirely an upgrade over what was there, other than lack of fountains in the hub.

ToTBellHop

I want to hear the full new loop and I don’t care how but
1701782307164.gif

FutureCEO

That I can absolutely understand. I personally lament the loss of the FoN, and really wish there was at least some kind of small fountain or water feature to somewhat compensate its removal, but as a whole I think the area looks quite nice. There are a few people on Twitter responding to every single post about the gardens acting like their lives are over because of this lol but I guess they’re generally in the vocal minority. Either way, I’m stoked to finally step foot into the central area tomorrow for the first time in almost 5 years.

that's also another reason....5 years to built this. Should have took them less than 85% of that time for what this is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom