News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

Carpeted walls are such a part of WDW's and specifically EPCOT's DNA. Would love to know the history and rationale behind the design choice. There's just such a sense of comfort in the spaces where it's used, like a warm blanket but on a much grander scale.
It was just a thing that they sometimes did in the 70s and 80s. It's not some idea they came up with exclusively for EPCOT. It's just never been updated. As for the rationale, not sure. Maybe sound dampening?

Virtual Toad

It was just a thing that they sometimes did in the 70s and 80s. It's not some idea they came up with exclusively for EPCOT. It's just never been updated. As for the rationale, not sure. Maybe sound dampening?
Sound dampening sounds about right. I always liked the aesthetic. Maybe it's a product of my age and the era I grew up in but I think it makes for a more welcoming environment than the hard surfaces and sterile modern look. Did Dreamflight/If You Had Wings also use carpeted walls in the queue? Comparing it to the beat up look the painted walls in the Buzz queue have now, it seems as if durability may have also been a rationale. Agree it's definitely a product of a certain era.

lazyboy97o

Soft materials on walls is actually a very old tradition. Think tapestries, drapes and curtains. They provided a variety of benefits from different thermal comfort functions to acoustics to just feeling more cozy than hard and rough materials. The acoustics of contemporary environments is a noticeable problem. The move away from a variety of softer materials, from wall coverings to things like table cloths, has made spaces louder. Fine dining establishments have found this out the hard way as their atmosphere suddenly goes from quiet to raucous with a remodel.

Chef idea Mickey`=

What I really want to know is why on earth they painted the dirt and grime on the monorail beam? I get it’s hard to keep clean in real life but if you’re painting it for a photo backdrop, paint it looking nice and pristine!
🤔 wow! Thank's for pointing that out. Didn't they clean the beams at Epcot I remember over by imagination pavilion if the front looks like that then they want you to have a very realistic capture. BTW this area you can take the real picture from the area right there! Unless you want no people.. 🤷‍♂️

Figments Friend

Carpeted walls are such a part of WDW's and specifically EPCOT's DNA. Would love to know the history and rationale behind the design choice. There's just such a sense of comfort in the spaces where it's used, like a warm blanket but on a much grander scale.

It likely has to do with dampening the harsh sounds that a crowded waiting area would produce if the walls were bare.
Much like a room with hard walls, and no furnishings to soak up the acoustic noise.

Classic WED was clever to not only do this, but also take the extra step and create elaborate works of art with said carpeting on said walls.
The stunningly beautiful example thankfully still at The Land is one of the best, and hasn’t aged a day in my opinion.

I mean, just LOOK at this beauty!
Never remove this, Disney.

IMG_3968.jpeg

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

What I really want to know is why on earth they painted the dirt and grime on the monorail beam? I get it’s hard to keep clean in real life but if you’re painting it for a photo backdrop, paint it looking nice and pristine!
This is a fascinating observation. I almost wonder if they "painted" it with AI and AI said to itself "well, it's always dirty in the all the photos, so I guess I'm supposed to make it dirty."

Epcot82Guy

I might offer the same back.

Yes. It's a message board where there are a lot of flared temperaments. But I was joking. (And even intentionally used the classic comedy triplet.). I'm not saying that has to be anyone's type of humor in any way. Rather it's just not that serious. I think we could all benefit from that a bit right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom