News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Chef idea Mickey`=

New backdrop at the front entrance.
I loved the old one better because it was a unique capture, not saying the new one is bad or anything but why want a picture of that when you have the real area right in front of you.
It's funny they didn't stick to making the back side shows you it was the best when Fountain of Nations and former existed.

Also is Goofy still doing photo meet and greets there or not?

Sir_Cliff

The attractions are all great, but the interior is terrible. It’s so out of date and void of any unifying design that almost nothing could make it worse.
100%. The Land is the pavilion that most works as a pavilion in the old sense of Epcot due to its variety of strong attractions around a unifying theme. What lets it down is the airport foodcourt at its centre and otherwise fairly uninspiring interior design. You'd think a refresh of the interior would be relatively inexpensive and something the pavilion is due for at this point.

I feel The Seas has the bones of an old-school Epcot pavilion, but they'd need to replace Nemo with something worthwhile.

trainplane3

100%. The Land is the pavilion that most works as a pavilion in the old sense of Epcot due to its variety of strong attractions around a unifying theme. What lets it down is the airport foodcourt at its centre and otherwise fairly uninspiring interior design. You'd think a refresh of the interior would be relatively inexpensive and something the pavilion is due for at this point.

I feel The Seas has the bones of an old-school Epcot pavilion, but they'd need to replace Nemo with something worthwhile.
Land needs some color tossed in to make it feel not so boring. Maybe more nature-ish and less sterile? Not sure but it needs something even though the pavilion is still doing so well.

The Seas literally needs just paint right now and it'll be miles better. While Nemo isn't great, it's a solid guest draw that ties well with the message of the Seas. Maybe refresh some of the exhibits and do something with the ride? This is one of the few instances where paint would genuinely help the interior so much more then people think.

Epcot82Guy

I do think a natural approach in the Land would do wonders. Part of why the Seas works is because it's kind of a unique sea base.

They went "contemporary"with the Land in 2004, so it's aged. (That's actually one of my main concerns with the spine and even GotG in coming years... But a separate conversation...)

Having the pavilion include natural finishes. And, dare I say it... A fountain... could be a relatively easy, longer-term impact.

Epcot82Guy

I concur, though I doubt we'll see a water feature inside anytime soon. Not having a fountain allows for more dining space for Sunshine Seasons and may affect crowd flow around Soarin.

Oh 100%. It's one of the many, many things on my list of wishful Epcot changes.

The only way I think it could work would be a sort of "water/rock wall" between the staircases - separating the seating area and the LwtL load/unload area. You would only lose that back section of bench seating. So, I think you could rework the area without too much detriment.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Did you all know they released a Communicore Hall game?

1719601990719.jpeg

trainplane3

I do think a natural approach in the Land would do wonders. Part of why the Seas works is because it's kind of a unique sea base.

They went "contemporary"with the Land in 2004, so it's aged. (That's actually one of my main concerns with the spine and even GotG in coming years... But a separate conversation...)

Having the pavilion include natural finishes. And, dare I say it... A fountain... could be a relatively easy, longer-term impact.
I wouldn't expect a fountain but to make the balloons move again would go a good distance to help it out.

etc98

I loved the old one better because it was a unique capture, not saying the new one is bad or anything but why want a picture of that when you have the real area right in front of you.
It's funny they didn't stick to making the back side shows you it was the best when Fountain of Nations and former existed.

Also is Goofy still doing photo meet and greets there or not?
What I really want to know is why on earth they painted the dirt and grime on the monorail beam? I get it’s hard to keep clean in real life but if you’re painting it for a photo backdrop, paint it looking nice and pristine!

Figments Friend

They can do a refresh…..but whatever they do, they had better not touch the original, gorgeous carpeted walls !!
Those MUST stay.

Land Carpeted Walls forever.

-

Figments Friend

If only they had had a large indoor space with plenty of room for seating and tons of space for seasonal and special events....

View attachment 793866
View attachment 793869

I am still to this day absolutely perplexed as to WHY they trashed this building.

Has to be one of THE most stupid decisions made in Epcot’s recent history, and that is saying a lot considering some of the many bad decisions this Park has had to suffer through.

-

In the Parks
No
View attachment 795366
Got to see this monstrosity in person…there were people sleeping, facetiming others…just like Walt wanted! 🤣
Looks like the kind of place where it would be fun to bounce a tennis ball across the room with a friend (you know, the reason we all go to Epcot!). I wonder if anyone would notice, on their phones or asleep.

DisCOT_97

Looks like the kind of place where it would be fun to bounce a tennis ball across the room with a friend (you know, the reason we all go to Epcot!). I wonder if anyone would notice, on their phones or asleep.
I was thinking of getting the annual passholders together and starting some sort of scrabble club. Ya know, to liven up the place!

Virtual Toad

They can do a refresh…..but whatever they do, they had better not touch the original, gorgeous carpeted walls !!
Those MUST stay.

Land Carpeted Walls forever.

-
Carpeted walls are such a part of WDW's and specifically EPCOT's DNA. Would love to know the history and rationale behind the design choice. There's just such a sense of comfort in the spaces where it's used, like a warm blanket but on a much grander scale.

Virtual Toad

I am still to this day absolutely perplexed as to WHY they trashed this building.

Has to be one of THE most stupid decisions made in Epcot’s recent history, and that is saying a lot considering some of the many bad decisions this Park has had to suffer through.

-
Agree. The destruction really is a sucker punch, not only because of what was lost but also because of the absolute inferiority of what they replaced it with.

Old EPCOT had such amazing bones. Even the triangles and tarps were okay because there was always a sense of possibility, a sense that it was all dated but workable.

What we lost most when Communicore West was destroyed was a sense of grandeur. The space itself was all about the possibilities of the future, literally a "great big beautiful tomorrow."

What replaced it is an absolute travesty, a fitting testament to our society's perverse affinity for the practices of small thinking and risk averse behavior.

Kind of the exact opposite of EPCOT's original mission statement when you think about it.

Gusey

But we know why. They destroyed it in 2019 to make way for the multi-storey festival pavilion. When plans changed post pandemic, CommuniCore Hall became a backup plan to fill the now empty plot of land, with a smaller budget (announced 2022). Whilst CommuniCore Hall is very plain, you can see how we got to this stage

Epcot82Guy

But we know why. They destroyed it in 2019 to make way for the multi-storey festival pavilion. When plans changed post pandemic, CommuniCore Hall became a backup plan to fill the now empty plot of land, with a smaller budget (announced 2022). Whilst CommuniCore Hall is very plain, you can see how we got to this stage
Very true.

Though "How?", "Why?" and "Which tool should we use to disembowel those in charge?" are all very different questions...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom