News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

sy278

Yes, you can apply sealants to Corten to mitigate staining and further corrosion.

There’s still potential for failures in the seal but, I suspect they’ve been monitoring the grates over this past year. They’ve been installed behind the walls for a while now.
I seriously hope they are sealed and wont cure to what corten usually does which just looks like pure rust like this bridge in Glasgow, Scotland which is 'cured' corten steel:

2023-11-01 14_28_00-sighthill-bridge-glasgow-city-council-803459687.jpg (960×540).png

James Alucobond

It’s already rust colored?

The rust coloration is the main reason you would select Corten for your metal. If you wanted to avoid that look, you’d likely use an aluminum or composite that approximated the desired finish.
This. Everywhere we can see it (the grates, the planters that flank Dreamers Point, the alcove behind Dreamers Point, the terrace and central planter dividers, the shade structures in the northwest garden), it is cured. This is the intended color and effect. It seems that several of the elements have a surface texture which, IMO, mitigates the full-on rust look that vast expanses of the material can sometimes take on. I’m most worried about the alcove behind Dreamers Point since it’s difficult to see in the aerials if there’s anything visually interesting going on there or if it’s just a flat sheet.

rioriz

I have a feeling CommuniCore hall and plaza won’t open until some time next year, and all we’re gonna get this December is the main part of world celebration. IMO thattimelone would make what they’ve said so far pretty much false advertising at this point
As far as i have heard next late winter/Spring was still the timeline. They have to "re dedicate" the area and doing that around the start of a festival makes the most sense.

_caleb

I seriously hope they are sealed and wont cure to what corten usually does which just looks like pure rust like this bridge in Glasgow, Scotland which is 'cured' corten steel:

View attachment 752066

It’s already rust colored?

The rust coloration is the main reason you would select Corten for your metal. If you wanted to avoid that look, you’d likely use an aluminum or composite that approximated the desired finish.

@lazyboy97o, I'd be interested in your thoughts about using Corten steel (if that is, in fact, what this is) for the grates/plates around the trees here.

lazyboy97o

@lazyboy97o, I'd be interested in your thoughts about using Corten steel (if that is, in fact, what this is) for the grates/plates around the trees here.
For one, it’s COR-TEN which is a brand name and a registered trademark of U.S. Steel for weathering steel. 🤓

I don’t really have much to add to what @FerretAfros said. The rusting is a known problem with weathering steel. It was a problem in the 70s in Pittsburgh at US Steel Tower. It was a problem in the 80s in Atlanta where the hot-humid climate helped facilitate the development of severe corrosion in the Omni Coliseum. It was a problem in the late 2010s in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center where sidewalks have been replaced only to quickly be stained again. Yes, processes have changed but it’s still a known issue. If you go for a walk in Downtown Orlando, at the corner of Orange Ave and Jefferson St is the Fulcrum Building which features weathering steel window surrounds. If you look closely you would see that beneath the vertical sides of the surrounds is gravel, not the concrete of the sidewalk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom