News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tparris

The fact that you can clearly see the stained line in the walkway where the construction walls have stood for so long really really bothers me. They didn’t even try to pressure wash the area.
IMG_5739.jpeg

trainplane3

The fact that you can clearly see the stained line in the walkway where the construction walls have stood for so long really really bothers me. They didn’t even try to pressure wash the area.View attachment 751339
There's bound to be a final cleaning pass when everything is ready. This feels like a move to gain as much space as quickly as possible for the time being.

FerretAfros

Kind of pedantic of me, but I think those are technically corten steel grates rather than paving.
It’s a bold choice to put those adjacent to light-colored concrete, since over time rainwater will slowly stain the concrete with rust as it runs off the grates and toward the drains. Sure, some of the water will infiltrate to the planters, and sure, it won’t happen right away. But give it 5 or 10 years, and the discoloration will be everywhere.

It’s yet another example of WDI’s inability to consider the long-term operations and maintenance implications of their designs. For a project that’s taken so long to construct, you would think that they would consider the impacts of the products they’re selecting on a longer lifecycle. Unless of course it’s intentional, and they think that dingy rust-stained walkways match the sleek futuristic aesthetic they’re going for everywhere else.

Edit: These are also likely to be pretty slippery when wet, even with the patterned texture imprinted on them. But it doesn’t rain very often in Florida, right?

Last edited:

Earlie the Pearlie

It’s yet another example of WDI’s inability to consider the long-term operations and maintenance implications of their designs. For a project that’s taken so long to construct, you would think that they would consider the impacts of the products they’re selecting on a longer lifecycle. Unless of course it’s intentional, and they think that dingy rust-stained walkways match the sleek futuristic aesthetic they’re going for everywhere else.
I mean, it IS EPCOT after all

lazyboy97o

I know I'm in the minority, but I feel like this iteration of the festival center had some potential to look really cool and blend with the existing architecture of the park.
You don’t pay DS+R’s fees for something that matches. Of course, most people would have only been able to experience the concrete plaza they complained CommuniCore had become.

Horizonsfan

When they posted about the corten steel features a while ago, they said it had been cured, which I believe means the finish is relatively stable. Not an expert on it myself, though.
Yes, you can apply sealants to Corten to mitigate staining and further corrosion.

There’s still potential for failures in the seal but, I suspect they’ve been monitoring the grates over this past year. They’ve been installed behind the walls for a while now.

Cmdr_Crimson

Does anyone know if they are intending on closing up the side entryway into World Nature from the entrance plaza once Dreamers Point opens? I know that they have done way with the World Discovery side entrance by GoTG but, I feel that it was intended to be back to how it was before all of this construction started..

Horizonsfan

Does anyone know if they are intending on closing up the side entryway into World Nature from the entrance plaza once Dreamers Point opens? I know that they have done way with the World Discovery side entrance by GoTG but, I feel that it was intended to be back to how it was before all of this construction started..
The path from the entry plaza to the Coral Reef will go away, while the path from the new Moana M&G to Project Tomorrow will remain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom