News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

_caleb

I think it's interesting to look at Disney's choices of pavement in the parks over the years. In the early days, the ground seemed pretty utilitarian (the anecdote of guests' heels sinking into the fresh pavement on Disneyland's opening day). Then there's the rumor that Kodak recommended red pavement for MK and Epcot because it made photos pop with color.

Later, Disney went in on theming the ground guests walked on. See the sewage canal backstory of Liberty Square, the bricks of Main Street, the cobblestones in pavilions around World Showcase, or the Dinosaur prints at AK.

Then for a while, Disney seemed to smooth all uneven surfaces over for accessibility and guest safety. I'm not sure how many ankles were twisted or how many trip-and-fall lawsuits may have been brought against the Mouse, but they sort of went back to utilitarian pavements that only hinted at theming.

The recently-completed repaving on MK's Center Street is real brick, but on a smooth concrete foundation. I'm hopeful at Epcot, Disney continues to build on themed guest walkways like the LED lights and Animal Kingdom's glowing patterns.

Ayla

I think it's interesting to look at Disney's choices of pavement in the parks over the years. In the early days, the ground seemed pretty utilitarian (the anecdote of guests' heels sinking into the fresh pavement on Disneyland's opening day). Then there's the rumor that Kodak recommended red pavement for MK and Epcot because it made photos pop with color.

Later, Disney went in on theming the ground guests walked on. See the sewage canal backstory of Liberty Square, the bricks of Main Street, the cobblestones in pavilions around World Showcase, or the Dinosaur prints at AK.

Then for a while, Disney seemed to smooth all uneven surfaces over for accessibility and guest safety. I'm not sure how many ankles were twisted or how many trip-and-fall lawsuits may have been brought against the Mouse, but they sort of went back to utilitarian pavements that only hinted at theming.

The recently-completed repaving on MK's Center Street is real brick, but on a smooth concrete foundation. I'm hopeful at Epcot, Disney continues to build on themed guest walkways like the LED lights and Animal Kingdom's glowing patterns.
My favorite pavement is in MK in Storybook Circus. 😊

Rich Brownn

Red was chosen because juxtaposed next to green it makes green look greener - as in a greener lawn :)

Earlie the Pearlie

Is there a chance they'll remove the Test Track canopy with this new iteration?
Unfortunately, probably not. You can see the TT3 thread for a longer explanation, but the TLDR is that there isn’t really enough indoor queue space to not use the outdoor extended area, which is better off in the shade. I wish it would go, though.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The latest aerials appear to confirm no water feature of any kind at the central planter or the old FON/Epcot logo pavement area. Most here expected as much, but it's depressing the area will be without any sort of calming water features.

The central hub project continues to feels like a monkey paw wish.
There is one spot left, that round platform where the Epcot logo used to be in the concrete is still incomplete, on the concept layout it just shows a shiny gold circle with dots in the middle. Now that the layout has changed they could have easily kept the Fountain of Nations. Nice to see them redo it.

Horizonsfan

There is one spot left, that round platform where the Epcot logo used to be in the concrete is still incomplete, on the concept layout it just shows a shiny gold circle with dots in the middle. Now that the layout has changed they could have easily kept the Fountain of Nations. Nice to see them redo it.
The concrete has already been poured and there’s no stubs for plumbing. It’s not happening unless they tear out that foundation slab.

tparris

Hearing the World Celebration walls may come down for the start of Festival of the Holidays/Thanksgiving crowds and in preparation for Luminous premiere. A birdie says the time between Thanksgiving and the shows premier is the target date. Bus drivers have been known to be wrong though. ;)
Honestly I’m struggling to see how they can possibly finish CommuniCore Hall by the end of this year, let alone beginning of December. The rest of world celebration, sure, but that building really doesn’t look close to being ready yet at the pace they’re going at.

TDLFan

Honestly I’m struggling to see how they can possibly finish CommuniCore Hall by the end of this year, let alone beginning of December. The rest of world celebration, sure, but that building really doesn’t look close to being ready yet at the pace they’re going at.
Yes, I'm assuming it's just the walkways they want open. That hall looks to have months of work left.

tparris

Yes, I'm assuming it's just the walkways they want open. That hall looks to have months of work left.
That’s very annoying that we’re presumably looking at another few months at least of walls around CommuniCore Hall which will take away from the atmosphere of the walkways. Especially when the way they’ve been wording things leads one to believe most of if not all of the walls will be gone by the end of this year…

James Alucobond

I’m of two minds on Communicore Hall. On one hand, it looks like it’s lagging significantly. On the other, they’ve literally done months of work prepping the entire surface for installation of the exterior panels, so it feels like that should happen quickly whenever they do it.

Bocabear

But in a lot of the pictures I have seen, the exterior surface is ready for the panels but it doesn't look like anything is happening on the interior...which also takes a good deal of time...
I am happy they are getting something done... but everyone was initially saying November for the 100th a few months back....Which is next week...

James Alucobond

But in a lot of the pictures I have seen, the exterior surface is ready for the panels but it doesn't look like anything is happening on the interior...which also takes a good deal of time...
I am happy they are getting something done... but everyone was initially saying November for the 100th a few months back....Which is next week...
We really have no idea what the state of the interior is. Also, it’s just exhibit space and meet and greets, so I won’t exactly be shedding tears if the doors stay locked for a bit. If the plaza stays blocked off, I’ll be more annoyed.

Earlie the Pearlie

We really have no idea what the state of the interior is. Also, it’s just exhibit space and meet and greets, so I won’t exactly be shedding tears if the doors stay locked for a bit. If the plaza stays blocked off, I’ll be more annoyed.
According to the concept art, they simply need to paint the building black, add a statue of Figment (just take it from the ride, we’ll never notice!!! 😬) and a couple of games themed to relevant IP (I believe there are also some games up for grabs in the Imagination building), and add a cardboard flat and some stanchions for Mickey to meet at!!! It’ll take them all of two years, but it should be enough to hold us over until they redo it in a few decades (unless/until it gets budget-cut)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The concrete has already been poured and there’s no stubs for plumbing. It’s not happening unless they tear out that foundation slab.
That’s why the center planter confused the hell out of me, it sits on top of steel framing with drainage openings in the slab. I couldn’t tell the depth and thought maybe it all went thru the side on this other slab, hope they do some shows outside of luminous with those fountains. Id rather hang out in the world showcase now any way.

Bocabear

Exactly...we really don't know... I am sure the spaces have electrical and plumbing, restrooms and running water, so there will be a lot of finish work, and 30 days ago there were no windows or doors yet... Maybe they have crews in there banging it out super fast... That certainly isn't happening at the Cake Bake Shop...lol

Rich Brownn

A week before Oct 1, 1982 the post show at World of Motion was mostly empty, with construction walls everywhere. 7 days later it was finished.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom