News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

If you look at the 2019 concept art it looked as if they were intending to do more past the point if they had removed Connections & Creations buildings and continued with more trees and lighting to World Discovery side (Future World East).
D3omWJeWwAAg_RZ.jpg

Jump to the newer art and it's ignored completely..Saying "Were done with that side!"
Epcot_Full_47310.jpg
I feel they'll probably finish up the rework of the pavement at some point. If they do the main path now as part of the redo of Mission: SPACE and Liquid Layer, they can touch up the other sections as they get around to Test Track and (hopefully) the Wonders of Life building. There's really nothing wrong with the landscaping itself.

Andrew25

I feel they'll probably finish up the rework of the pavement at some point. If they do the main path now as part of the redo of Mission: SPACE and Liquid Layer, they can touch up the other sections as they get around to Test Track and (hopefully) the Wonders of Life building. There's really nothing wrong with the landscaping itself.

Yeah it's just the old concrete and some of the planter walls that make it feel outdated.

Hoping for a bunch of benches too, Epcot needs it

Fear

If you look at the 2019 concept art it looked as if they were intending to do more past the point if they had removed Connections & Creations buildings and continued with more trees and lighting to World Discovery side (Future World East).
D3omWJeWwAAg_RZ.jpg

That's not the 2019 art, that's the Blue Sky concept from a few years earlier.

This is the 2019 concept art:

1698078848420.png

James Alucobond

Did anybody (Martin maybe?) ever end up saying what the pink/magenta line running from Spaceship Earth to the Festival center was intended to be?
It was simply a more expedient path to the Festival Center from the front of the park, utilizing some of what would've otherwise been additional dead space behind Journey of Water. It's shown below in yellow.
1698081887519.jpeg

I had also originally thought based on this plan that it was a flyover, but some of the art used in the EPCOT Experience suggested it was still at ground level.
1698082104365.jpeg

McMickeyWorld

It was simply a more expedient path to the Festival Center from the front of the park, utilizing some of what would've otherwise been additional dead space behind Journey of Water. It's shown below in yellow.
View attachment 750478

I had also originally thought based on this plan that it was a flyover, but some of the art used in the EPCOT Experience suggested it was still at ground level.
View attachment 750479
The model of "The EPCOT Experience" also suggests that it was going to be an overpass.
EIYxqp8XkAAf--I.jpeg

tparris

View attachment 750478

View attachment 750479
Based on another piece of 2019 art, it seems like it still might have been a flyover of some sort.
IMG_6766.jpeg

James Alucobond

Bocabear

Shanghai's Tomorrowland had a lot of elevated walkways and multi-levels... It was one of the things that I liked about the land...it was just a little too "corporate business campus" looking overall...

James Alucobond

Shanghai's Tomorrowland had a lot of elevated walkways and multi-levels... It was one of the things that I liked about the land...it was just a little too "corporate business campus" looking overall...
Here, it feels visually interesting but impractical. If that path is inaccessible from ground level, you have to either know to board the pathway from the park entrance or circle around behind the Festival Center to enter; when standing near it, you can only enter from the rear third that faces away from the center of the park.

James Alucobond

I know I'm in the minority, but I feel like this iteration of the festival center had some potential to look really cool and blend with the existing architecture of the park.
It did look cool, but it made zero sense plopped in where it was. I'm kind of baffled that the original plan wasn't instead to keep the northern end of both Communicore buildings (where Connections and Journey of Water are now), level the southern half, and then place a centered version of the Festival Center on top of the area where the Fountain of Nations was as something that you pass under on your way toward World Showcase.

Timothy_Q

It did look cool, but it made zero sense plopped in where it was. I'm kind of baffled that the original plan wasn't instead to keep the northern end of both Communicore buildings (where Connections and Journey of Water are now), level the southern half, and then place a centered version of the Festival Center on top of the area where the Fountain of Nations was as something that you pass under on your way toward World Showcase.
This would have fixed most of my issues with the previous plan

peter11435

View attachment 750478

View attachment 750479
At one time it was intended to be an elevated flyover

Epcot82Guy

That was my thought too. Of the 3 plans from that original time, I loved the one that gutted the 4 sections and themed them to individual things. But, if we needed the Table, your idea was exactly what I thought. It also would have allowed them to rearrange the other two Neighborhoods so you had a better separation between IMAG and The Land. (Plus you could have pulled Test Track into the Center easily, doing the same for a space-themed World Discovery.)

I am still baffled that none of the plans with the Table did anything to separate IMAG from World Nature.

tparris

Wouldn’t that totally block much of SSE though?

James Alucobond

Wouldn’t that totally block much of SSE though?
From certain locations, sure. No idea what the exact height of the planned structure was, but I have to assume that the only location it would really affect would be the bridge back from World Showcase, and only once you got to a certain distance. Some of the original EPCOT plans had structures in similar locations, so it’s not a unique thought, really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom