News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DreamfinderGuy

Initial closures were 2019.

I'm predicting the finals walls coming down sometime in mid-2024

so, 5 years-ish total time for a water trail, a Rollercoaster, a Temu.com version of Communicore Southwest, New entrance plaza, and some new planters.

All in all, same hodge-podge of a park, except instead of 80s mixed with 90s/2000s it's 90's/2000s mixed with late 2010's.
If you're counting Guardians in this (which really was proper project start for the overhaul, albeit a sectioned off area that nobody really visited being closed) the whole project will have taken just over six years. It sure doesn't show.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Initial closures were 2019.

I'm predicting the finals walls coming down sometime in mid-2024

so, 5 years-ish total time for a water trail, a Rollercoaster, a Temu.com version of Communicore Southwest, New entrance plaza, and some new planters.

All in all, same hodge-podge of a park, except instead of 80s mixed with 90s/2000s it's 90's/2000s mixed with late 2010's.
If you want to count from the start of closures, Ellen's Energy Adventure closed on August 13, 2017.

Mickeynerd17

If you're counting Guardians in this (which really was proper project start for the overhaul, albeit a sectioned off area that nobody really visited being closed) the whole project will have taken just over six years. It sure doesn't show.

If you want to count from the start of closures, Ellen's Energy Adventure closed on August 13, 2017.
Of course, I initially just thought of the hub closures. Remy and the skyliner station can be lumped in too.

Still, it only highlights more what relatively little has happened in the 6 years since this madness began. Also, a portion of it (harmonious) has already kicked the bucket before the overhaul was finished.

And epcot the park took only 3 years from swamp to opening day. Smh.

No Name

The sum of the new center of the park <= the Sum of All Thrills.

We lost a fun ride, and now Rock n Roller Coaster is the only ride that goes upside down at the entire resort.

lazyboy97o

The update to Mission: SPACE was considered the first part of Evolving Epcot. The attraction closed for its update in June 2017 and reopened on August 13.

No Name

Just from a marketing standpoint, they’ve mismanaged the opening dates of this stuff from the very beginning. In every other project they’ve done, the smaller stuff comes first, then the biggest part opens last with a huge marketing push. And for Pandora and Cars Land, that was very successful.

There’s no reason the Guardians coaster should’ve opened to a park with a big old crater in the middle…. and if at any point they thought the festival center was the most exciting part, boy are they in trouble.

James Alucobond

Just from a marketing standpoint, they’ve mismanaged the opening dates of this stuff from the very beginning. In every other project they’ve done, the smaller stuff comes first, then the biggest part opens last with a huge marketing push. And for Pandora and Cars Land, that was very successful.

There’s no reason the Guardians coaster should’ve opened to a park with a big old crater in the middle…. and if at any point they thought the festival center was the most exciting part, boy are they in trouble.
Pretty sure their original thought process included Poppins, PLAY!, Spaceship Earth, perhaps something at Imagination, and probably a completely different schedule in general. It is what it is at this point.

No Name

Pretty sure their original thought process included Poppins, PLAY!, Spaceship Earth, perhaps something at Imagination, and probably a completely different schedule in general. It is what it is at this point.
But even Martin said pre-Covid that the plan was to finish the center pit after Guardians. The order of things seems largely unchanged.

I guess a new version of Spaceship Earth could’ve been an exciting final part of it, if that was planned to open along with the festival center, but Guardians was always going to be the biggest thing.

James Alucobond

Just saying, I think it was meant to be a series of rolling upgrades, not the typical open-a-new-land big bang. I get the sentiment, but I think it's a bit different when you're touching a lot of different areas across the park rather than sectioning off a portion to relaunch as a unified, new thing. No one expected a simultaneous launch of a major attraction when they redid the Magic Kingdom hub, for instance.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today.

IMG_6309.jpeg
IMG_6312.jpeg
IMG_6318.jpeg
IMG_6323.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom