News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

EpcotMark

Epcot officially broke ground on October 1, 1979 and officially opened October 1, 1982. Most of the opening day attractions (save for Horizons and JII) were open by the end of the year. (Imag opened March of 83, and Horizons opened October of 83.)

If memory serves, walls started going up in October 2019. So, if you take 2 years out for major COVID restrictions they will have redone the center in the same time it took to build the entire opening day park.

Even adding in Cosmic, Remy and JoW, they will have effectively built those 3 plus the center in that amount of time.

By comparison, 1979-82 built:
-SSE, Energy, WoM, The Land (4 large slow-moving attractions with 3 theater attractions. Then 2 large slow moving attractions plus an additional theater attraction within a year.)
-CommuniCore East and West with Stargate Restaurant, Centorium Shop and another cafe (forgetting the name) plus the Fountain of Nations
-All of World Showcase, minus Norway and Morocco (1 boat ride, an animatronic theater show and 3 theater shows
-a smaller nighttime show started in Late October, replaced by a bigger show in later 83.
Yeah the rapid construction of Epcot Center was an engineering marvel to get all that done so quickly. Totally Amazing.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A few aerial shots from bioreconstruct.

F2SVLKEXEAIz20_.jpeg

James Alucobond

Looks like the back of the Seas pavilion (the parts facing the monorail station/parking lot) is finally being painted to look more like the park-facing sides. Via Bioreconstruct.View attachment 734303View attachment 734304
Huh, interesting change. Please let this mean that they actually care about backstage views and that something will be done about Cosmic Rewind (especially with the permit recently at that address). I know it's not realistic, though. :(

Epcot82Guy

Huh, interesting change. Please let this mean that they actually care about backstage views and that something will be done about Cosmic Rewind (especially with the permit recently at that address). I know it's not realistic, though. :(

I bet you one cupcake or one mortgage payment, whichever is lower at market rates, how likely that is. (There's a ghost with a hat I'd reference...)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Last edited:

Bocabear

I mean seriously...they are still at the metal studs...I guess the interior part has to be a little further along, but this looks like somewhere in 2024 at the earliest.... unless all of the sudden things start happening... Like huge busloads of workers descend on the site like a swarm of locusts....

Bocabear

but a lot of the structure in the photos is just the metal studs at this point...unless this is just going to be a hollow shell....with no internal finishing.
I have seen them take 18 months to finish an outdoor Margarita stand.... so 5 months to build out and theme an entire interior, plus complete the exterior panel cladding, landscape, plumbing lighting and furnishing does not seem like enough time with the pace of construction we have witnessed to this point.
And most certainly not less than 60 days for an October 1st opening date...

James Alucobond

but a lot of the structure in the photos is just the metal studs at this point...unless this is just going to be a hollow shell....with no internal finishing.
I have seen them take 18 months to finish an outdoor Margarita stand.... so 5 months to build out and theme an entire interior, plus complete the exterior panel cladding, landscape, plumbing lighting and furnishing does not seem like enough time with the pace of construction we have witnessed to this point.
And most certainly not less than 60 days for an October 1st opening date...
Oh, I agree that it won’t make October 1, but we haven’t seen the interior in a while. Are there shots that confirm no finishing is underway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom