News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

FigmentFan82

1653314884567.png

ChrisFL

Premium Member
After his death, the Imagineers quickly realized having people live there would remove the E,P and T. As one said "You can't experiment with peoples lives". (There wasn't much thought put into the EPCOT concept before Walt died, other that "a futuristic city". Even the maps and painting in the movie were last minute add ons. The film wasn't supposed to inspire the public - it was a piece to convince the legislators to pass RCID. )

Also to note that the scale model we see now on the Peoplemover (and the larger version above Carousel of Progress in Disneyland) was made AFTER Walt passed? (I'm pretty sure) and it seemed to take some liberties with the original concept, there's a lot more parking lots and cars compared to what we saw on the Florida Project film.

lazyboy97o

Also to note that the scale model we see now on the Peoplemover (and the larger version above Carousel of Progress in Disneyland) was made AFTER Walt passed? (I'm pretty sure) and it seemed to take some liberties with the original concept, there's a lot more parking lots and cars compared to what we saw on the Florida Project film.
The model seen on the PeopleMover is part of a larger model made during Walt’s lifetime and is not a model of EPCOT. The model is of Progress City and was built for the GE pavilion at the 1964-65 World’s Fair. The model was moved to Disneyland with Carousel of Progress which is why that Carousel Theater has a second floor. The model was then cut down and moved to the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The model seen on the PeopleMover is part of a larger model made during Walt’s lifetime and is not a model of EPCOT. The model is of Progress City and was built for the GE pavilion at the 1964-65 World’s Fair. The model was moved to Disneyland with Carousel of Progress which is why that l
Carousel Theater has a second floor. The model was then cut down and moved to the Magic Kingdom.
I knew the model we have on the peoplemover was cut down from the one above Carousel of Progress but I didn't think it was around for the World's Fair...I though it was added later, only after it was in Disneyland...so in that case people knew a similar concept by Disney before Walt unveiled the EPCOT city plan?

Edit: This confirms what I thought earlier: https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/progress-city-model/model-overview?authuser=0

lazyboy97o

I knew the model we have on the peoplemover was cut down from the one above Carousel of Progress but I didn't think it was around for the World's Fair...I though it was added later, only after it was in Disneyland...so in that case people knew a similar concept by Disney before Walt unveiled the EPCOT city plan?

Edit: This confirms what I thought earlier: https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/progress-city-model/model-overview?authuser=0
I may be wrong about the Fair. People knew a concept similar to EPCOT before Walt Disney was born. EPCOT is very much a Garden City as described by Ebenezer Howard’s Garden Cities of Tomorrow, first published in 1898. Even more specifically, EPCOT is a Garden City as refined by architect Victor Gruen in his 1964 book The Heart of Our Cities: The Urban Crisis - Diagnosis and Cure. A copy of The Heart of Our Cities was among the items in Walt’s office when he died. EPCOT wasn’t some completely new, out of the blue idea, it was built on a longer tradition and many of its concepts were things that had been discussed and explored in built works.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I may be wrong about the Fair. People knew a concept similar to EPCOT before Walt Disney was born. EPCOT is very much a Garden City as described by Ebenezer Howard’s Garden Cities of Tomorrow, first published in 1898. Even more specifically, EPCOT is a Garden City as refined by architect Victor Gruen in his 1964 book The Heart of Our Cities: The Urban Crisis - Diagnosis and Cure. A copy of The Heart of Our Cities was among the items in Walt’s office when he died. EPCOT wasn’t some completely new, out of the blue idea, it was built on a longer tradition and many of its concepts were things that had been discussed and explored in built works.

I agree, this was mentioned in the film as well I believe. The difference I believe was the transportation ideas that Walt had with the monorail going in/out of the city, and peoplemover going around within the city. Disneyland was a great testing ground for that type of thing.

A few things that were sticking points: The cast members always being "on stage" even during their off hours if there were tours through the city. Also, the industry area attracting companies but often they don't want to share a lot of their innovations until they're ready for market.

Epcot82Guy

This is a nice enough redo - really a refresh to align (as they said it was).

The only thing that jumps out - I really wonder how well this design scheme will weather over time. It (like Chomps and Collectibles) does seem to be fairly minimal. That would allow refreshes more easily going forward. I'm just missing the "timeless" goal is all.

Epcot82Guy

Spacious.

Just like Connections and Creations. No more claustrophobic vibes.

I know others aren't, but I'm thoroughly pleased with Communicore East's refurb.

As one who is highly disappointed with a lot of the changes, I agree with you. West is a totally different story (and actually could have taken a cue from East).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Connections:

So nice. Yes, it looks like a 2020's mall... but how many malls have a wood slat ceiling treatment rather than acoustic tiles or popcorn paint?​
The big open windows on all sides is so nice. I felt like I was eating outside (minus the searing heat, bugs, and thieving birds). Don't get me wrong, it can't compare to eating atop a trash can, but it's just nice.​
The food: the burgers are yummy. More like restaurant burgers than McDonalds' burgers (which was EU's awful fare). Would order again.​
The pizza, however, was awful. Will never ever order again. I will disown family members who do so.​
Starbucks: Didn't order, but wow, so nice to see a Starbucks in a WDW park that wasn't claustrophobic.And didn't stick out into the hub creating a pinch point.​

Creations:

Again, yes mall-like, but swankier than most malls, and certainly no longer like a mall of the 80's/90's. Open, airy, clean. Would definitely use again as an air conditioned shortcut.​

Club Coke:

Thank goodness this stayed. Nothing truly embodies the spirit of EPCOT like a corporate sponsored store that brings people of the world together with international flavors. Who can forget that Disney standard: I Like to Buy the World a Coke so that we can all live in harmony?! Tho, don't know why it was ever in Future World, it belonged in World Showcase with all the other foreign stuff. International togetherness is not the theme of Future Word, unless it's a fountain, or Coke from a fountain I guess.​

Last edited:

Centauri Space Station

Club Coke:

Thank goodness this stayed. Nothing truly embodies the spirit of EPCOT like a corporate sponsored store that brings people of the world together with international flavors. Who can forget that Disney standard: I Like to Buy the World a Coke so that we can all live in harmony?! Tho, don't know why it was ever in Future World, it belonged in World Showcase with all the other foreign stuff. International togetherness is not the theme of Future Word, unless it's a fountain, or Coke from a fountain I guess.​
Well it’s now in World Celebration, what better way to celebrate the world than with Coke? 😉

aladdin2007

the previous club cool was so much better and more fun, not to mention bigger and actually themed. This was created like an after thought, shoved into a corner of the old mousegear as part of the new creations, off to the side. pathetic. why they even bothered at all I'll never understand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom