News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Movielover

Of course they don't want to spend money to staff it, but with all the new reservations for rides, park admission etc, they could really use live people accessed on videophone to help navigate their complicated system...Not everyone wants to spend every minute of their day on their phones planning what their next move is...missing everything around them but the phone screen.... This to me is the real downside of the Fastpass Plus/Genie systems... no spontaneity... no relaxation...it has become a sport..."Scoring" fastpasses to rides...
I agree, the whole fastpass + Genie stuff is crap and needlessly complicated, but they also have the blue shirt guest service people to assist you in person. The Video Phones were a dead relic of the past.

Bocabear

I agree, the whole fastpass + Genie stuff is crap and needlessly complicated, but they also have the blue shirt guest service people to assist you in person. The Video Phones were a dead relic of the past.
While a thing of the past, they were very cool to actually have someone to interact with...a face, a smile... Seemed like a great idea at the time, and in this current day of Zoom and remote work, seems like it makes sense a gain...not so much a relic as it is the way a large percentage of people currently work...

montyz81

Wait, EPCOT has a coffin! How come I didn't know? Old timers like me would like to visit and pay our respects. Are the nails labelled? There must be a lot of nails in it. Will it be displayed at dreamer's point?

I can't believe they aren't promoting this on the side of Chicago busses, what a missed oportunity. No wonder Disney can't make any money.
Yes. You had to pay for a nail, and you got a sticker of your face put on the head of the nail. Unfortunately, the hammer ruined the sticker so it's hard to tell which nail head is yours.

UNCgolf

Right... you can get the exact same thing with the in person Guest Relations CMs.

You have to physically go to the location and wait in line, though.

I assumed he was talking about having access to video chat through the Disney app (as opposed to having to go to a specific location like the old EPCOT kiosks).

Bocabear

You have to physically go to the location and wait in line, though.

I assumed he was talking about having access to video chat through the Disney app (as opposed to having to go to a specific location like the old EPCOT kiosks).
Back in the day there were WorldKey kiosks in hubs around the park...not just one Guest Services location at the front of the park... In an era before Cellphones, it was very convenient... Guests Services nowadays is always swamped and takes a lot of time out of your day waiting in line...well my experience has been that in all of the parks.

Incomudro

While a thing of the past, they were very cool to actually have someone to interact with...a face, a smile... Seemed like a great idea at the time, and in this current day of Zoom and remote work, seems like it makes sense a gain...not so much a relic as it is the way a large percentage of people currently work...
It was an amazing idea at the time.
I loved it and was amazed by it.
It was the Jetson's brought to life, at a time when parks like Epcot could showcase upcoming technology to the public long before it reached consumer level, and consumer level affordability.
That time is long gone however.
There's a part of me that wishes that wasn't so, because I really loved that sort of thing.
But it is over, and has been over for a long time.
I've accepted that and moved on, which is why I embrace an Epcot that is doing the same.

Casper Gutman

It was an amazing idea at the time.
I loved it and was amazed by it.
It was the Jetson's brought to life, at a time when parks like Epcot could showcase upcoming technology to the public long before it reached consumer level, and consumer level affordability.
That time is long gone however.
There's a part of me that wishes that wasn't so, because I really loved that sort of thing.
But it is over, and has been over for a long time.
I've accepted that and moved on, which is why I embrace an Epcot that is doing the same.
I don't understand... what time is long gone? The time of good customer service? Because that's what the video phones really represented. If today's guests had the ability to interact, face-to-face and with no wait, with personnel who could actually get them reservations for restaurants, rides, etc... NOONE would walk away saying, "Man, I hated that, it was so old fashioned."

It is so odd how often posters say that everything special and unique about EPCOT is outdated and we need to move with the times. What about modern EPCOT is amazing? What benefit has it reaped from "moving on?" What IS EPCOT now?

lazyboy97o

I don't understand... what time is long gone? The time of good customer service? Because that's what the video phones really represented. If today's guests had the ability to interact, face-to-face and with no wait, with personnel who could actually get them reservations for restaurants, rides, etc... NOONE would walk away saying, "Man, I hated that, it was so old fashioned."

It is so odd how often posters say that everything special and unique about EPCOT is outdated and we need to move with the times. What about modern EPCOT is amazing? What benefit has it reaped from "moving on?" What IS EPCOT now?
We need to realize that movies are the one thing we just can’t experience wherever, whenever. That’s why showing people the world of movies is so unique and important, it’s an experience that cannot be had anywhere else in the world.

Anteater

We need to realize that movies are the one thing we just can’t experience wherever, whenever. That’s why showing people the world of movies is so unique and important, it’s an experience that cannot be had anywhere else in the world.
I dunno... I think Uni did a great job with Harry Potter World. I didn't really follow the series (books or movies). But, I was pretty impressed with them pulling me into their world. Loved visiting the various shows and attractions. My kids did their best by taking me to the various locations and telling me what happened there. I doubt my kids could do that with GE.

UNCgolf

Back in the day there were WorldKey kiosks in hubs around the park...not just one Guest Services location at the front of the park... In an era before Cellphones, it was very convenient... Guests Services nowadays is always swamped and takes a lot of time out of your day waiting in line...well my experience has been that in all of the parks.

Yeah, I know that -- I wasn't disagreeing with you.

mm52200

And now there are multiple Guest Experience Team locations set up throughout the park in World Discovery, World Nature, the entrance World Showcase, and France in addition to Guest Relations locations at both entrances to the park.

Bocabear

And now there are multiple Guest Experience Team locations set up throughout the park in World Discovery, World Nature, the entrance World Showcase, and France in addition to Guest Relations locations at both entrances to the park.
Are there? are the team locations on a map or are they roving bands of Guest Service teams? Wouldn't they rather be in an office in air conditioning speaking to guests in real time on a large monitor? I feel like the World Key model would still work and seems like an idea whose time has come...

MagicHappens1971

Are there? are the team locations on a map or are they roving bands of Guest Service teams? Wouldn't they rather be in an office in air conditioning speaking to guests in real time on a large monitor? I feel like the World Key model would still work and seems like an idea whose time has come...
They piloted the Guest Experience Team a few years ago, and it has now rolled out to all four parks, there are tents stationed all over the parks for all your Guest Relations needs. The Guest Experience Team is the Guest Relations cast just in different costumes.

mm52200

Fixed locations with Tip Boards, signage, and podiums.
If you would rather talk to someone on FaceTime rather than in person than okay I guess.

Casper Gutman

They piloted the Guest Experience Team a few years ago, and it has now rolled out to all four parks, there are tents stationed all over the parks for all your Guest Relations needs. The Guest Experience Team is the Guest Relations cast just in different costumes.
And is their primary role to get guests the dining and ride reservations they really want, or is it to try to soothe them as they direct them to the very few, undesirable reservations that are available?

MagicHappens1971

And is their primary role to get guests the dining and ride reservations they really want, or is it to try to soothe them as they direct them to the very few, undesirable reservations that are available?
Their goal is to help guests with whatever needs they may have, to the best of their ability. I’m not really understanding what you’re getting at, dining reservations at WDW have been a mess for years and when planning a trip you need to secure your ADRs if you’re planning on dining at a TSR.

James Alucobond

I mean, every time I’ve ever interacted with them, they’ve literally just given me a “use this pass for anything” affordance, but I also only approach them when there’s been a genuine issue, not when I simply haven’t planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom