News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

No Name

I think this will be an unpopular opinion here and I am skeptical myself, but if there was some logic to the plans for how they're planning to redevelop the central spine I'm honestly interested to hear it even if I ultimately end up disagreeing. The reflexive hatred is getting a little...

View attachment 560218
I too would be interested in hearing about it. It’s just pretty bizarre and ironic that when Zach brings up circular design, he shows the single existing building that they’re keeping, while not explaining how any of the new additions will follow this, never mind how they will follow it better than what was demolished. His post therefore makes little sense and gives me even less faith that he knows what he’s doing.

Sir_Cliff

I too would be interested in hearing about it. It’s just pretty bizarre and ironic that when Zach brings up circular design, he shows the single existing building that they’re keeping, while not explaining how any of the new additions will follow this, never mind how they will follow it better than what was demolished. His post therefore makes little sense and gives me even less faith that he knows what he’s doing.
But isn't that the whole point that he's going through all the additions post by post?

The idea with the most recent post was to explain Creations and further posts on the rest of the spine will follow.

Again, I'm not saying the end result will be good, but I find it hard to sympathise with the reflexive negativity.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

But isn't that the whole point of going post by post?

The idea with the most recent post was obviously to explain Creations with further posts to follow.

Again, I'm not saying the end result will be good, but I find it hard to sympathise with the reflexive negativity.
Exactly this. Could end up being a total flop-and-a-half if he actually does continue to dredge up old documents without explaining why they're deciding to unmake some of the original infrastructure, but he clearly stated in his last post that he was going to be sharing a series of connected tidbits over the course of the next several weeks. Must we jump down his throat every time he speaks?

lazyboy97o

But isn't that the whole point of going post by post?

The idea with the most recent post was obviously to explain Creations with further posts to follow.

He specifically invokes parti. It’s not something that should have be explained, it is something that should be clearly understood as it is the foundational idea. Evolving Epcot is deliberately removing the parti of Future World and there is no discernible parti for the new neighborhoods that are largely remnants of what has been destroyed. This is a crack in the facade of Walt Disney Imagineering being this small group where everyone works on everything. Whomever was working the remained of CommuniCore might well have been very interested in its original design but that is not a view shared by the rest of the project team.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Geometry ≠ symmetry. He never mentions symmetry at all in his post.
Obviously
Exactly this. Could end up being a total flop-and-a-half if he actually does continue to dredge up old documents without explaining why they're deciding to unmake some of the original infrastructure, but he clearly stated in his last post that he was going to be sharing a series of connected tidbits over the course of the next several weeks. Must we jump down his throat every time he speaks?
It’s almost like you joined this forum just yesterday to defend him? It’s almost like you were summoned.

Welcome.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Obviously
And yet many people immediately seized upon the opportunity to mention symmetry and/or insult his understanding of geometry. Again, I'm not even saying the ultimate result in World Celebration will be a good one or that the geometric justification he presents in later posts will be sound, just that it's perhaps extreme that every single time he posts, more than a full page in each thread gets dedicated to ripping into him. I feel like we should at least consider that Instagram posts are by their nature bite-sized and that this post in particular will likely be given the context we're prematurely complaining that it lacks by future posts in the series.
It’s almost like you joined this forum just yesterday to defend him? It’s almost like you were summoned.

Welcome.
Long time lurker, first time poster. Your sarcasm notwithstanding, I do look forward to the discussion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And yet many people immediately seized upon the opportunity to mention symmetry and/or insult his understanding of geometry. Again, I'm not even saying the ultimate result in World Celebration will be a good one or that the geometric justification he presents in later posts will be sound, just that it's perhaps extreme that every single time he posts, more than a full page in each thread gets dedicated to ripping into him. I feel like we should at least consider that Instagram posts are by their nature bite-sized and that this post in particular will likely be given the context we're prematurely complaining that it lacks by future posts in the series.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Your sarcasm notwithstanding, I do look forward to the discussion.
No, it wasn’t sarcasm.

James Alucobond

I'm not sure whether you mean that the welcome wasn't sarcastic or that the implication that I was summoned specifically to defend Riddley wasn't sarcastic.

If the latter, I have tons of things I can complain about, like the garbage cardboard cutout in the Ratatouille area or the heinous undisguised Guardians show building, but those have also been beaten to death.

If the former, I do genuinely appreciate it. 👍

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure whether you mean that the welcome wasn't sarcastic or that the implication that I was summoned specifically to defend Riddley wasn't sarcastic.

If the latter, I have tons of things I can complain about, like the garbage cardboard cutout in the Ratatouille area or the heinous undisguised Guardians show building, but those have also been beaten to death.

If the former, I do genuinely appreciate it. 👍
No, the welcome was genuine. Welcome.

No Name

But isn't that the whole point that he's going through all the additions post by post?

The idea with the most recent post was to explain Creations and further posts on the rest of the spine will follow.

My negativity is mostly with the emptiness of his posts, and this one is actually particularly bad. Even if this is just the first in a series of posts, explaining how they’re putting lights in a circular pattern on a circular building isn’t exactly a strong start. Did we expect them to put the lights in a straight line?

Regardless, hopefully he does continue this and hopefully in the future he says something of value, because I am highly interested to see how the rest of World Celebration can fit his explanation here.

Bocabear

He’s back

I don't even understand this... So they went back to the original design of the building...Bravo for having the insight to rely on the amazing existing architecture...and then realizing the importance of how it was all designed, you tore half of it down... meaning what? The circular pattern is now destroyed as well as the beautifully planned "Heart Of World Celebration... You have a Ventricle wall with the rest of the organ missing.
ugh

TikibirdLand

Well, his Instagram talked about circles. I believe they'er symmetric. The posts are full of hyperbole and misappropriation to EPCoT history. So, I think the criticisms are warranted.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So, it’s the Anakin Skywalker of Epcot?

Fitting.

Does that mean after it is done destroying everything, we just have to wait 20 years for it to realize it is evil, die and then the park can be set free?

No, but it does mean that lots of younglings must die first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom