News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

jt04

I appreciate what I'm seeing with this reimagined building. The wood slats look classy, the lines of the building flow. Mimicking nature in form and with the earthy color palette creates a calming environment. Just add water.

And a Walt statue.

(Not sarcasm)

Bocabear

But all of that was there all the time, it just got covered up by horrible overlays... well not the wood slats...but the structures and design...If you had seen the original...water everywhere, less pavement, more trees and these two beautiful half-arc buildings, all glass and curtain wall. It was so modern and so gorgeous... They are acting like they are creating something new when actually they are just going back to the original... which is now missing it's symmetry.

Sir_Cliff

He specifically invokes parti. It’s not something that should have be explained, it is something that should be clearly understood as it is the foundational idea. Evolving Epcot is deliberately removing the parti of Future World and there is no discernible parti for the new neighborhoods that are largely remnants of what has been destroyed. This is a crack in the facade of Walt Disney Imagineering being this small group where everyone works on everything. Whomever was working the remained of CommuniCore might well have been very interested in its original design but that is not a view shared by the rest of the project team.
To be honest, though, the fact he has started on this note when it seems from what we've seen so far that they have completely discarded the geometry of the original Communicore makes me particularly curious to see how this series of Instagram posts develops. It's something I find so puzzling about the design as it would seem more logical to either keep or demolish both structures, so I'm kind of wondering where he's going with all this.

Maybe, though, he'll just stick with the shop and not utter a single word on what they're doing with the rest of World Celebration. If that is the case, I agree that this line of explanation for the design of the store is confused at best.

James Alucobond

World Celebration....What is "celebratory" about a massive empty dead space?
I don't get the concept at all...
I think they pretty clearly intend for it to be a more "park-like" atmosphere with a lot more vegetation, various points of interest like the Wishing Tree and Dreamer's Point, and open-air attractions like Journey of Water. While I'm not immediately sold on the changes being made, I wouldn't describe it as "dead" at all, and I think it's weird that everyone holds the event lawn against them when there are obviously multiple external forces working against what they had intended for that location.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
To be honest, though, the fact he has started on this note when it seems from what we've seen so far that they have completely discarded the geometry of the original Communicore makes me particularly curious to see how this series of Instagram posts develops. It's something I find so puzzling about the design as it would seem more logical to either keep or demolish both structures, so I'm kind of wondering where he's going with all this.
Logic isn't really a part of this. Decisions are mostly being made for cost control. I don't think anyone at WDI can be happy with what has happened here.

Bocabear

It was already park-like, then they concreted over all the water featured in the Communicore area... They could have removed all the hardscape, left the buildings in place, and made it more park-like... The Moana Splash zone water play area really has no reason to be in this park or in this location...it is just plunked down making no sense except there is a pavilion about the ocean nearby.... It should have been completely moved around the entrance to the pavilion... That way it would relate better than a splash pad where the center point of EPCOT once was...
beginning demolition without a concrete plan of what was replacing it and how it would work was bad too... No one wants to spend $110 to go to an open space park...
And what the heck is a "Wishing Tree" or Dreamers Point other than a statue of Walt Disney... Are they going to rename the hub at the Magic Kingdom "Walt and Mickey's Dream Plaza" and call it an attraction? Can I go to The Wishing Tree and wish EPCOT had more attractions and that I could get in a boarding group for ROTR?...
It seems like corporate speak for "We don't want to maintain the buildings and we don't have any ideas, so we are going to tear everything down and make it a park because that is what our accountants, I mean guests really want..."

James Alucobond

I don't really disagree with what you're saying. I just don't think "dead" is the right word for it. It will likely be livelier than the version that immediately preceded it. CommuniCore was a hollowed out husk. Whether the demolition was right (probably not) or wrong (probably), I'm at least intrigued by the idea of it no longer being a concrete hallway For the First Time in Forever™.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Logic isn't really a part of this. Decisions are mostly being made for cost control. I don't think anyone at WDI can be happy with what has happened here.
If they're trying to control costs, why was the west building demolished?

It would have been less expensive to repurpose it than to rebuild it, especially with the fancy-looking-yet-limited-practicality festival center building that was proposed. As pointed out in these recent Instagram posts, the Communicore buildings were always designed for flexibility of future uses, so there's nothing that would have precluded adapting the existing structures to new purposes.

Then again, reusing the existing facilities to control costs would require a certain amount of logic. And as you said, logic isn't really a part of WDI's decision-making process.

Sir_Cliff

If they're trying to control costs, why was the west building demolished?

It would have been less expensive to repurpose it than to rebuild it, especially with the fancy-looking-yet-limited-practicality festival center building that was proposed. As pointed out in these recent Instagram posts, the Communicore buildings were always designed for flexibility of future uses, so there's nothing that would have precluded adapting the existing structures to new purposes.

Then again, reusing the existing facilities to control costs would require a certain amount of logic. And as you said, logic isn't really a part of WDI's decision-making process.
Yes, that's what I would think too.

I get that controlling costs is behind axing the festival center, but the original cost to build it in the first place was from all accounts astronomical.

The Aracuan Bird

World Celebration....What is "celebratory" about a massive empty dead space?
I don't get the concept at all...
The baffling part is, in “World Showcase”, World is the noun, Showcase is the verb. But to link it with WS, the new names are making “world” the verb. It just sounds off. If World Nature’s theme is Nature, is World Showcase’s theme suppose to be “Showcase”? Huh?

Phicinfan

It's baffling....and now to know it is going to just be empty dead "vendor cart lawn/special event space" is even worse...
but keep blogging about the building they left and just restored as if they have actually done something amazing...
EPCOT will become the festival capital of the world, and once GotG opens, of the Universe. As such, they probably want wide open party spaces where folks can get their festival on. Its what EPCOT has been for a while, they are just making it official. Pretty clear why @marni1971 is so ticked off about it.

James Alucobond

The baffling part is, in “World Showcase”, World is the noun, Showcase is the verb. But to link it with WS, the new names are making “world” the verb. It just sounds off. If World Nature’s theme is Nature, is World Showcase’s theme suppose to be “Showcase”? Huh?
Wait, what? It's a series of two nouns in every case. It's just that the "understood" order is reversed. So, a "world of discovery", a "world of nature", and a "world of celebration" versus a "showcase of the world". None of them are ever intended as verbs.

Bocabear

The rebranded area names sound nonsensical and directly out of a corporate think tank... None of them have any meaning whatsoever. I guess when you are showing off a plan that includes not much of anything, you have to talk about something... We created these names for the areas of the park that don't need to be named... So, same plaza it was except half is mossing and now we call it "World Of Discovery" because....well it's a big football field length space of nothingness for you to discover... we did put a red path in the artwork so you will know how to get straight through it and back to the rest of the park...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom