News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 , if you had previously posted this elsewhere, then I apologize for asking, however, are we at a point where you can share the other ideas that had been considered for UoE?
There was a plan for a full overhaul - new films, key animatronics replaced, full pavilion overhaul. It was part of quite an interesting overall park refresh that IMHO was better than what’s happened now.
Space 220?
I’ve not heard. As much depends on the third party as TWDC.

Homemade Imagineering

There was a plan for a full overhaul - new films, key animatronics replaced, full pavilion overhaul. It was part of quite an interesting overall park refresh that IMHO was better than what’s happened now.

I’ve not heard. As much depends on the third party as TWDC.
That’s sad to hear. An updated Universe of Energy would’ve been fantastic. At least it’s not too late for Figment to get a proper redo. Hopefully the next few years will give them time to come to their senses and finally give the Pavillion a proper update.

Brer Panther

Them not doing anything to Figment is likely the only thing keeping Figment from being evicted from EPCOT and replaced by the characters from Inside Out.

Figments Friend

No 'Pixar' garbage in the Imagination Pavilion's ride , please.
And certainly NO 'Inside Out'.
It is not needed.
A rumor from some time ago.

By the time Disney finally does something with the Imagination Pavilion, there will likely be another 'trendy' and far more 'contemporary marketing' IP they will want to use.
Sad to say it, but likely true .
But as Marty Sklar used to enjoy pointing out, the word 'trend' contains the word 'end'...which is fitting to remind people that trends do indeed END.
So stop chasing the 'now' Disney, and start embracing the 'never ending' evergreen thinking.

I do still hold out hope Disney will wise up and keep the underlying elements once present at the Pavillion in mind when considering a proper re-do.
Build on the success that came before ( the Original 'Journey' ) and move forward with a new take ( spirit of what was, expressed with enhanced storytelling techniques ).

And I don't mean 'screens', Disney.
'Enhanced' does not nessesarily mean ' latest tech' or projection / plasma screens galore.
Get back to your roots for once when it comes to Epcot.
Some of us are still waiting for that moment......

-

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

No 'Pixar' garbage in the Imagination Pavilion's ride , please.
And certainly NO 'Inside Out'.
It is not needed.
A rumor from some time ago.

By the time Disney finally does something with the Imagination Pavilion, there will likely be another 'trendy' and far more 'contemporary marketing' IP they will want to use.
Sad to say it, but likely true .
But as Marty Sklar used to enjoy pointing out, the word 'trend' contains the word 'end'...which is fitting to remind people that trends do indeed END.
So stop chasing the 'now' Disney, and start embracing the 'never ending' evergreen thinking.

I do still hold out hope Disney will wise up and keep the underlying elements once present at the Pavillion in mind when considering a proper re-do.
Build on the success that came before ( the Original 'Journey' ) and move forward with a new take ( spirit of what was, expressed with enhanced storytelling techniques ).

And I don't mean 'screens', Disney.
'Enhanced' does not nessesarily mean ' latest tech' or projection / plasma screens galore.
Get back to your roots for once when it comes to Epcot.
Some of us are still waiting for that moment......

-
If we receive news someday that they’re bringing back the original JII with new storytelling techniques like you mentioned, that will be the day that I receive some of the greatest Disney news ever. I will be absolutely ecstatic.

SpaceMountain77

@marni1971 , in previous posts, when asked, you said the theme of Epcot would be "different."

Presently, what do the executives and creatives view the planned theme to be as a result of the announced changes?

Also, what would the theme have been for the overhaul you identified as better?

DoleWhipDrea

I will be ecstatic if the giant IKEA table bar’s plans are trashed. In this current climate it makes no sense to spend all that money when EPCOT has made liquor sales just fine as it is, without ruining the symmetry and visuals of the park. There is a long laundry list of what that park needs and this just wasn’t one of them.

Maybe they’ll compromise and do a rebuild on the part of Innoventions they demolished, then expand that look through the rest of the spine. They can still build an events space in that area and not completely throw off the layout of the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will be ecstatic if the giant IKEA table bar’s plans are trashed. In this current climate it makes no sense to spend all that money when EPCOT has made liquor sales just fine as it is, without ruining the symmetry and visuals of the park. There is a long laundry list of what that park needs and this just wasn’t one of them.

Maybe they’ll compromise and do a rebuild on the part of Innoventions they demolished, then expand that look through the rest of the spine. They can still build an events space in that area and not completely throw off the layout of the park.
Good idea!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom