News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Figments Friend

Stuff from today:

Second floor shot:

Wow...
That second photo, with the half destroyed 'Wand' fixture is really kind of sad to see.

I REALLY really hope it is true that the old partial 'Dream Machine' remnant from JII that used to hang on a wall truly was removed and saved.
I have yet to receive any real confirmation on that to date.

Looking at this is sobering.

-

Figments Friend

Gotta say, it took some doing to take a stupendous, awesome theme park fully loaded with tons of attractions and a huge, loyal fan base and billions of dollars of accumulated revenues and decades of stellar profits ... and then through neglect, inattention, carelessness and penny-crunching, turn it into the biggest mess in WDW.

I know the mess is temporary but come on ... this was a great theme park from opening day, not a hastily thrown-together improvisation with a bad layout like Disney-MGM was.
This.

100%

-

DreamfinderGuy

Play pavillion may be far enough along not to get cut. There have already been permits filed for show set installation.
Was there last night and the doors to the pavilion were wide open. Lots of steel framing around the area between Frontiers and Body Wars, along with a bunch of flood lights. Of course I can only do so much with a digital zoom iPhone camera, so you'll have to take my word for it.

realBobChapek

Chief Executive Officer & Board Member
Premium Member
Was there last night and the doors to the pavilion were wide open. Lots of steel framing around the area between Frontiers and Body Wars, along with a bunch of flood lights. Of course I can only do so much with a digital zoom iPhone camera, so you'll have to take my word for it.
Care to share the pictures anyways?

Obobru

They should take the time to pause this disaster of s plan. They should keep the undemolished part and instead demolish where mousegear was to even the sides and open up the park. Then use the existing remaining structures and build one large structure where the fountain was so it's central.

egg

They should take the time to pause this disaster of s plan. They should keep the undemolished part and instead demolish where mousegear was to even the sides and open up the park. Then use the existing remaining structures and build one large structure where the fountain was so it's central.
I agree, but the fact that they weren’t smart enough to do something like that from the start makes me wonder why they’d change the plan now. Even if certain elements get cut, I guarantee they’ll still find a way to make it look ridiculously half-baked and off-balance.

I like Epcot’s new logo and branding, I like the upping capacity, I like the front redesign, but not the center area.

DoleWhipDrea

Now that all construction has been halted, they’re going to have an opportunity to take another look at these plans. When it comes to the parks, I’m not generally someone that celebrates budget cuts, but let’s be real - a lot of the EPCOT plans are looking to spend money on things a lot of us aren’t excited about. I think the Events Pavilion is a giant waste of money when there are more efficient ways of getting mostly the same end result...without suddenly ruining the design of the park.

Time to spend money wisely.

Theme vision 1955

Now that all construction has been halted, they’re going to have an opportunity to take another look at these plans. When it comes to the parks, I’m not generally someone that celebrates budget cuts, but let’s be real - a lot of the EPCOT plans are looking to spend money on things a lot of us aren’t excited about. I think the Events Pavilion is a giant waste of money when there are more efficient ways of getting mostly the same end result...without suddenly ruining the design of the park.

I agree. Hopefully any budget cuts, large or small, will be directed towards projects that can be somewhat flexible, such as the play pavilion. Hopefully they’ll use their budget wisely for something in the future like imagination’s eventual redo.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm gonna be real honest, Wonders of Life was a good events pavilion but severely underutilized. The Play Pavilion seems to be under utilizing the space once again. I'm glad to see it become an attractions area again, but from a financial standpoint I don't see why they made that call.

DoleWhipDrea

I'm gonna be real honest, Wonders of Life was a good events pavilion but severely underutilized. The Play Pavilion seems to be under utilizing the space once again. I'm glad to see it become an attractions area again, but from a financial standpoint I don't see why they made that call.
Good point. I think it possibly had more to do with the potential of the dome and what they could do with M&G. No matter what the plans were, I don’t think they wanted to continue using the CC buildings for them and wanted something flashy to encourage families to go to EPCOT for that experience while playing with technology to entertain guests. Having a giant indoor space ready to go gives them a more controlled environment, and by having it located between two thrill attractions an easy spot to encourage families with little ones to check out. Whereas the Events Pavilion they designed is part-outdoors, which makes sense for events like Flower and Garden. The cooking demos and shopping worked well in the WoL building, but didn’t necessarily give them the full environment capabilities they wanted.

Prototype82

Maybe I'm crazy, but the events building is one of the things I am the most excited about. As of late, events really are the money maker in this park. I'm biased- I have wanted fresh, bold, futuristic architecture in this park for awhile and the concept art and the model just look so green and futuristic. Covering FW in 90s concrete and garish paint jobs ruined the design a long time ago. In a festival-heavy park, I think it'll make the money back. We'll see what happens.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No

I think of the story of EPCOT as if it were a fancy restaurant . . .

When it opened, it had a unique and complex menu crafted by master chefs.

Over time, management started taking dishes off the menu that were hard to prepare and started replacing many of them with fast food options.

Prices for the fast food are now higher than they were when the restaurant offered fine dining.

They've managed to keep people coming in by offering fun seasonal options, but the staples continue to suffer.

Now the restaurant's reputation is floundering, and management has decided that a major tentpole of their plan to turn things around is to . . . build new tables.

Like . . . literally. Looking at you, Festival Pavilion.

Top Bottom