News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
some of those are fake/green screen
And even then, most are just things that have been around for years. Nothing groundbreaking in there at all.

And many are prototypes that wouldn't stand up to real-world applications yet.

And many would work for only one or a handful of people at a time which would be very low capacity, which was one of my pet peeves with Innoventions and Project Tomorrow and the post-attraction venues of Imagination and Test Track.

And too many have loud Asian techno-trance soundtracks.

DreamfinderGuy

So, I had an idea about the EPCOT Central Spine temporary green space concept, and decided to make a really basic diagram (apologies on it being slightly inaccurate) of what that could look like. This is essentially building off of what's already there, assuming they fully remove the remains of the West Breezeway and the Electric Umbrella bubble, as well as fill in the gaps in the overhang where the old Innoventions and breezeway entrances were. Thoughts?
EPCOT.png

Horizons1

So, I had an idea about the EPCOT Central Spine temporary green space concept, and decided to make a really basic diagram (apologies on it being slightly inaccurate) of what that could look like. This is essentially building off of what's already there, assuming they fully remove the remains of the West Breezeway and the Electric Umbrella bubble, as well as fill in the gaps in the overhang where the old Innoventions and breezeway entrances were. Thoughts?View attachment 464335
Anything is better than the up charge egg.

No Name

So, I had an idea about the EPCOT Central Spine temporary green space concept, and decided to make a really basic diagram (apologies on it being slightly inaccurate) of what that could look like. This is essentially building off of what's already there, assuming they fully remove the remains of the West Breezeway and the Electric Umbrella bubble, as well as fill in the gaps in the overhang where the old Innoventions and breezeway entrances were. Thoughts?View attachment 464335

Looks like a poor WiFi connection.

Anything is better than the up charge egg.

😡

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Or cut their losses (pun intended) by leaving what’s standing standing, build their precious bar in the shape of Innoventions south west and stick a decent fountain in the middle of the plaza. Win win for a fraction of the cost.

Since money is very important right now.

trainplane3

Or cut their losses (pun intended) by leaving what’s standing standing, build their precious bar in the shape of Innoventions south west and stick a decent fountain in the middle of the plaza. Win win for a fraction of the cost.

Since money is very important right now.
I'd buy that idea for $1.
Heck, I'd buy it for a ton of $1's.

How does money work help.

VaderTron

Good point. A normal beer garden as found in European parks (or Busch Gardens) would be nice in Epcot.

The Jetsons "beer garden in the sky" may be as much about upselling fireworks seating as it is about keeping the theme of Futureworld. But it's a really expensive, elaborate structure that they might eliminate, and they may cut the show budget anyways. So if cost cutting takes hold Disney might fall between two (bar) stools and end up with both an empty FW spine and an unimpressive nighttime show.
I thought they were considering abandoning the original plan due to the need for cost cutting? :hilarious: :angelic:

DVCakaCarlF

I've thought about this too, but wouldn't it be kind of pointless to rebuild a building they JUST tore down? Might as well take advantage of the clean slate and build something completely new in that spot.

I agree that nothing else needs to be demolished at this point.

1) They probably don’t have a set of plans, and that will both delay the project and add cost in design fees.

2) They probably already disconnected all the infrastructure (power, water, etc), so trying to figure that all out again will be a nightmare.

3) The general conditions assessed by the contractors will continue to accumulate while this is all being sorted out.

I have seen this personally in commercial construction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've thought about this too, but wouldn't it be kind of pointless to rebuild a building they JUST tore down? Might as well take advantage of the clean slate and build something completely new in that spot..
It would be something new. Just cheaper.

And a better idea. And more suited. And more aesthetically pleasing. Etc etc.

nickys

Premium Member
After all the marketing and planning, do you really think they would punt and “semi” start over?

There’s a great big hole there currently, at least a razed area. Something has to happen with it. And many projects will get deferred or cancelled altogether as a result of the closure. WDW cannot just continue as if they haven’t sustained losses. Projects that haven’t started yet are most likely to be postponed / cancelled, especially one as expensive as the new super-expensive bar on legs.

They need quick solutions so that when GotG opens, the rest of “FW“ can be opened up ASAP.

DVCakaCarlF

I know the place is bleeding money, but, like all recessions, it is temporary.

I would like to think a company like TWDC would take this opportunity to get a lot done for a lower cost, and “invest” in the future for when things ramp back up...then, they can start counting how many billions they are rolling in each day.

Besides, anything that can generate an “up sell,” I would think, should be a no brainer - alcohol, merchandise, special ticketed events.

alphac2005

I know the place is bleeding money, but, like all recessions, it is temporary.

I would like to think a company like TWDC would take this opportunity to get a lot done for a lower cost, and “invest” in the future for when things ramp back up...then, they can start counting how many billions they are rolling in each day.

Besides, anything that can generate an “up sell,” I would think, should be a no brainer - alcohol, merchandise, special ticketed events.

This is structurally very different than a typical recession and honestly not comparable. You have huge expenditures regardless of whether the company is bringing in revenue or not While having billions of dollars in cash on-hand and at least double that amount in available lines of credit, that cash burn rate is quick. The cost cutting will most likely be everywhere and substantial. TWDC's main sources of revenue have been cut off at the knees across nearly every unit.

Clamman73

I've thought about this too, but wouldn't it be kind of pointless to rebuild a building they JUST tore down? Might as well take advantage of the clean slate and build something completely new in that spot.

I agree that nothing else needs to be demolished at this point.
But it‘s not like it was a ride building that was shown and vehicles and show scenes were already being developed...it was just a place to have a beer.

For not that much they can build something aesthetically pleasing, functional for the area and something that blends in well with the east side. It seems like it was a wrong approach to begin with wanting to build that table top thing...I think the middle section east/west needs to be a mirror-like image of each other.

britain

Yep. It’s happened many times before.

Equitorial Africa was even shown on national television.

Sure, but it’s not like the Equatorial Africa pavilion was the subject of a 10+ year objective (we could go back further if we wanted to include Project Gemini).

Disney MGM Europe is probably a more appropriate “They promised this on national TV before it was downsized”comparison.

Horizons1

After all the marketing and planning, do you really think they would punt and “semi” start over?
Google the Disney Decade and look at ALL of the plans that were announced and advertised, but never saw ground broken. Disney is notorious for announcing projects and then pretending they never existed. There was some 10 to 15 minute preview for the “upcoming” Russian pavilion I watched on YouTube recently. Very fascinating and it’s a shame it didn’t happen, but Disney was marketing that project before it even got off the ground, and then they just abandoned it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom