News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Kman101

So.... just the parts then that have the things which are not load and unload. There's a whole building sticking out with those computerized time wasters and a lounge atop of it. That's surely not load/unload?

Wonder if they've thought about switching the exit and entrance? Although it's very appealing to walk under and into SSE, it's not very attractive seeing the queue spill into the overflow, wouldn't be the worst to have it all indoors. Interesting to see what they do with the space in the future.

I imagine they put MouseGear into Innoventions but Project Tomorrow is a nice size space that could be better utilized.

Missing20K

It’s not practical. Although they have looked into rerouting the switchbacks and the exterior entrances to them.

Or they could just remove the unnecessary Fastpass.
But then how am I going to ensure I get to ride SSE at precisely 9:15 am on Wednesday, February 20th, 2019? I have an 8 am ADR at Akershus. ;)

In all seriousness though, this never, ever happens right?

Kman101

It’s not practical. Although they have looked into rerouting the switchbacks and the exterior entrances to them.

Or they could just remove the unnecessary Fastpass.

OK. I figured it might not be, but was wondering if it were possible. Thanks Martin.

And we both know they won't. But they absolutely should. Novel concept how the line moves faster without fastpass ;)

mikejs78

Premium Member
OK. I figured it might not be, but was wondering if it were possible. Thanks Martin.

And we both know they won't. But they absolutely should. Novel concept how the line moves faster without fastpass ;)
Not going to get into a Fastpass debate. Not going to use data and math to show the fallicy in this statement. Just not going to detail the thread......

ppete1975

Believe it or not, not with labels.

So have a hastily iPad sketched over graphic instead:

View attachment 334801

1 Computer Central
2 Travelport
3 Stargate
4 Energy Exchange
5 Centorium
6 Futurechoice Theatre
7 Expo Robotics
8 Sunrise Terrace
9 EPCOT Outreach
10 Futurecom
This is art!!!!
I miss the centorium....
of course 2 storys of non ip merchandise.. mostly nasa and educational will never happen again

tirian

Sunrise and Stargate both had kitchens at guest level (Electric Umbrella still uses the one in east)

Both also had storage and food prep directly underneath in the basements. I believe these today also service cast break areas.
Not going to get into a Fastpass debate. Not going to use data and math to show the fallicy in this statement. Just not going to detail the thread......

A very quick word about FP: the perceived FP issue depends on OPERATIONS and whether or not an attraction is an omnimover. Math and data work only in a theoretical universe where Disney isn’t trying to artificially create lines to hold guests in place. And they are.

Before FP+, many attractions had two queues that kept the standby lines moving quickly (e.g. POTC). Others merged before a split (Space Mt.).

Post NextGen, those attractions now hold guests in a standby queue even if nobody is on the FP side. Pirates is the most glaring example, but it happens at other attractions too. This cuts the loading process in half, with half the dock empty while Guests are backed up in standby. Sometimes BTMRR gets around this by operating only one loading dock; it saves staff $$$ but creates an artificially long wait time on an otherwise slow day. At Space Mt., FP is usually sent to the right track while Standby wraps through the left switchbacks. In the past, the merge point came at the top of the star tunnel, and the switchbacks moved quickly. Guests are punished for using standby.

High-capacity attractions such as SSE, IASW, and HM — and less popular ones like Imagination — have unnecessary lines because Guests pick up unneeded FPs in the MDE app, and constantly slow down a loading process that was designed to eat crowds.

The big issue is that Ops doesn’t use load capacity past the merge point.

Indy_UK

Only really looked at what they have shown and it looks good. The entrance doesn't look like it wil cost much to do but will make a big difference.

I guess my feeling initially was what are they going to put in all these empty pavilions. I guess the answer is to get rid a load of these building. The two innovation buildings are pretty pointless and freeing up space overall will probably be better.

I'd love to see a parade for the park too

JohnD

I think it's time this topic and others regarding Epcot's future get their own sub-forum. There are more ongoing projects with Epcot than there are with the Studios, even before Toy Story Land opened.

Agree. Hence my observation earlier:

mikejs78

Premium Member
A very quick word about FP: the perceived FP issue depends on OPERATIONS and whether or not an attraction is an omnimover. Math and data work only in a theoretical universe where Disney isn’t trying to artificially create lines to hold guests in place. And they are.

Before FP+, many attractions had two queues that kept the standby lines moving quickly (e.g. POTC). Others merged before a split (Space Mt.).

Post NextGen, those attractions now hold guests in a standby queue even if nobody is on the FP side. Pirates is the most glaring example, but it happens at other attractions too. This cuts the loading process in half, with half the dock empty while Guests are backed up in standby. Sometimes BTMRR gets around this by operating only one loading dock; it saves staff $$$ but creates an artificially long wait time on an otherwise slow day. At Space Mt., FP is usually sent to the right track while Standby wraps through the left switchbacks. In the past, the merge point came at the top of the star tunnel, and the switchbacks moved quickly. Guests are punished for using standby.

High-capacity attractions such as SSE, IASW, and HM — and less popular ones like Imagination — have unnecessary lines because Guests pick up unneeded FPs in the MDE app, and constantly slow down a loading process that was designed to eat crowds.

The big issue is that Ops doesn’t use load capacity past the merge point.
I have never, even once, seen capacity lessened because of underutilization past the merge point. On the contrary, I have seen lines post merge consistently. I have seen zero evidence that rides aren't operating at capacity due to the merge.

As far as only operating one track like at BTMR, that's a completely separate issue and not related to FPP. (Spoiler - it happened before FPP too).

tirian

I have never, even once, seen capacity lessened because of underutilization past the merge point. On the contrary, I have seen lines post merge consistently. I have seen zero evidence that rides aren't operating at capacity due to the merge.

As far as only operating one track like at BTMR, that's a completely separate issue and not related to FPP. (Spoiler - it happened before FPP too).
I believe you, but I see this constantly, and it’s a known Ops method of controlling capacity.

I digress and don’t want to go way off topic here.

peter11435

They do not intentionally create lines.

They sometimes run less capacity (less vehicles, less load stations) to save money based on lower attendance. But they do not intentionally hold guests to create lines.

Atttactions like pirates do not dedicate one load station to fastpass and one to standby. They will send guests from either queue to either side based on demand. They do not intentionally allow empty vehicles to be dispatched on one side because there are no fastpass guests while holding standby guests.

If you think that’s how they do things you are wrong. If you think that’s how it works you are wrong. If you observered this happening you misunderstood what was taking place.

Disone

They do not intentionally create lines.

They sometimes run less capacity (less vehicles, less load stations) to save money based on lower attendance. But they do not intentionally hold guests to create lines.

Atttactions like pirates do not dedicate one load station to fastpass and one to standby. They will send guests from either queue to either side based on demand. They do not intentionally allow empty vehicles to be dispatched on one side because there are no fastpass guests while holding standby guests.

If you think that’s how they do things you are wrong. If you think that’s how it works you are wrong. If you observered this happening you misunderstood what was taking place.
I really need to Second this post.

To be clear Fastpass and standby go to either dock at Pirates of the Caribbean.

None of the three theaters at Soarin are dedicated to Fastpass. All three take passengers from both lines.

Space Mountain will send standby passengers and Fastpass passengers both sides.

Big Thunders merge point is actually prior to the point that the line is split for the two load stations. Meaning once the Fastpass guest or the standby guest is past the merge point, they choose which of the two lines to get into.

Operations is a no way sending empty vehicles on the Fastpass side while the standby side is backing up. This just is not an accurate accessment of fast pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom