"Big" Apple announcement may involve Disney

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Ok. Then I suppose my question is if I can't slide my credit card in the upcoming future and my phone is too old to use an app to pay, how am I suppose to buy things at the grocery store for example if I have no cash?

I'm just curious because this is going to affect how I do my day to day activities and I want to start preparing now.
The CC companies are in the process of changing over to the chip system that is already wide-spread in Europe and Japan. We are just way behind the times on this. You'll get a new CC, and then be able to tap and pay.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Would be nice if the Apple Watch could be used as a replacement for a Magic Band, with the added benefit of being able to see/change your FP+ reservations right on your watch.
I think that depends on how popular smart watches become. They haven't caught on much yet. Probably the price more than anything Keeps people away.

The Apple watch is the most expensive starting at $349, which is probably for the smaller watch. The bigger one is probably $399.
And I thought Motorola, LG, and Samsung were over priced at $249.

For me personally, until smart watches come down below $200, I don't want it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Wow, hate Apple much??? Actually, Apples market share rose from 41.4 to 42.4% from April to July this year, so not sure where you think it is dropping. o_O It is not dropping at all.

The world-wide numbers quoted by Gartner and other sites have an "Other" category that includes literally millions of phones that no one can even verify. It is actually the biggest piece of the pie, and has no basis in reality. The "analysts" mostly make up numbers to support whatever position they want to sell to their customer at that time.

Since the terminals will be NFC compliant, and some of the high-end Android phones have NFC, they will also work. This is not an Apple only solution.
I don't think they were trying to hate on Apple. Just saying that Iphones are not as popular worldwide as they are in the US.

And yes, the terminals are all NFC enabled. Apple Pay will use the same tech that Android and Windows phone use. Not all high end either. A number of prepaid phones even have nfc.

s8film40

Only a matter of time now...

vdAyMxfl.jpg

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I don't think they were trying to hate on Apple. Just saying that Iphones are not as popular worldwide as they are in the US.

And yes, the terminals are all NFC enabled. Apple Pay will use the same tech that Android and Windows phone use. Not all high end either. A number of prepaid phones even have nfc.
I guess it was the bit of snarkiness with the "(Of course if Apple "invents" NFC the world will go crazy for it)" comment. NFC has been around for many years - which pretty much everyone knows, and comments like that are just really unnecessary.

RSoxNo1

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "Metal" thing they discussed. The live feed kept timing out for me so I never really heard what it was.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I guess it was the bit of snarkiness with the "(Of course if Apple "invents" NFC the world will go crazy for it)" comment. NFC has been around for many years - which pretty much everyone knows, and comments like that are just really unnecessary.
Well it is true. :hilarious: Now that Apple is doing it, it will blow up. Apple will take the credit for contactless payment becoming popular. Apple tends to have that affect on things.

eblaz37

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "Metal" thing they discussed. The live feed kept timing out for me so I never really heard what it was.
Built for developers who create highly immersive console games, Metal is a new technology that allows them to squeeze maximum performance from the A7 and A8 chips. It’s optimized to allow the CPU and GPU to work together to achieve optimal performance. It’s designed for multithreading, and there are great tools for putting it all together in Xcode.

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
Wow, hate Apple much??? Actually, Apples market share rose from 41.4 to 42.4% from April to July this year, so not sure where you think it is dropping. o_O It is not dropping at all.

The world-wide numbers quoted by Gartner and other sites have an "Other" category that includes literally millions of phones that no one can even verify. It is actually the biggest piece of the pie, and has no basis in reality. The "analysts" mostly make up numbers to support whatever position they want to sell to their customer at that time.

Since the terminals will be NFC compliant, and some of the high-end Android phones have NFC, they will also work. This is not an Apple only solution.
The reports that I've seen state otherwise:

"Android’s share of the US market rose 11.4 percentage points year-on-year to 62.9 per cent, while iOS fell by almost exactly the same amount, 11.8 percentage points."

smartphone-market-share-0714.jpg

eblaz37

I miss the announcement!
The announcement they are speaking of is about how Apple debuted their new line of iPhone today along with a wearable version called the Apple Watch. Both of these devices include an NFC chip that allows contact-less payments at WDW and Disney Stores nationwide. Disney already has this technology at WDW, as the MagicBand readers are essentially NFC readers. Another poster pointed out that Disney Stores just completed the upgrade to NFC terminals in stores this week.
Not a big announcement on the Disney side of it, moreso for Apple.

BrerJon

but i dont need to type my pin on my phone first. chip and pin isnt coming as soon as you think but its still way easier than doing it on my phone.

In the UK, where chip-and-PIN replaced swiping over a decade ago, all cards can now be used for tap and pay contactless. You can set a no-PIN limit, the usual being any purchase under £20, there's no need to type a PIN so it's just as quick as paying with NFC, but for more expensive purchases they do require you to enter your PIN.

I heard the USA is doing chip-and-signature, which seems ridiculous, as PINs are far harder to fake than signatures and far quicker, so I don't know if they'll introduce tap to pay as well.

lazyboy97o

Well it is true. :hilarious: Now that Apple is doing it, it will blow up. Apple will take the credit for contactless payment becoming popular. Apple tends to have that affect on things.
The reason it works is because of how Apple went about it. As they touched on during the keynote, the merchants have always been a serious hurdle that nobody has really addressed head on. With the US finally switching to chip cards the merchants will now be upgrading their equipment. They also got some big names to guarantee availability. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was helping to pay for the terminal upgrades to get the support now, especially for a company like McDonald's where the vast majority of locations are franchises with independent owners responsible for their own payment systems. The other manufacturers provided the tool but they did not work to ensure its acceptance and awareness.

RmeDad

Please help me out here, I am a little confused about these watch things. If I have a PHONE that doubles as a TV, a VOICE RECORDER, a MUSIC player, an EMAIL device, a CAMERA/VIDEO RECORDER, an INTERNET BROWSER, a device for PAYING CHARGES at a shopping establishment, has the option of running many useful APPS like running devices in my home remotely and finally is a WATCH/CLOCK/TIMER, why would I need a WATCH with a smaller screen than my phone? Besides, how many people will not be able to read the screen without stopping to put their reading glasses on? Oh yeah, and for HOW MUCH? And don't get me started on these glasses things!

BTW, I think that cellphones are named incorrectly, since many owners don't use them to make phone calls and should be renamed as:

Cellular and High Speed Data Capable Multi-Purpose Electronic Handheld Mobile Communications, Entertainment and Gaming Device

The good ole CHSDCMPEHMCEGD! And if you are an Apple Fanboy make that an iCHSDCMPEHMCEGD!

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Please help me out here, I am a little confused about these watch things. If I have a PHONE that doubles as a TV, a VOICE RECORDER, a MUSIC player, an EMAIL device, a CAMERA/VIDEO RECORDER, an INTERNET BROWSER, a device for PAYING CHARGES at a shopping establishment, has the option of running many useful APPS like running devices in my home remotely and finally is a WATCH/CLOCK/TIMER, why would I need a WATCH with a smaller screen than my phone? Besides, how many people will not be able to read the screen without stopping to put their reading glasses on? Oh yeah, and for HOW MUCH? And don't get me started on these glasses things!

I think this video provides a good explanation that will address you question....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom