Big Animal Kingdom E-ride

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Sketch105
If you ever saw a picture of BK, You never saw the coaster portion. It took place inside a burnt castle. Check out the far left hand corner.

It looks like there are two castles...another in the upper center portion of the picture. Wasn't that just the old Fire and Ice idea?

Sketch105

I don't know. The story has been told and confused a hundred times. Some say the Imagineers design went into IOA, and some say it was only the basic idea and that the fire and ice dueling idea was added in. The queue is the only real thing that screamed "AK Dragon coaster".

As Jim Hill reported, the idea was that the bats in the queue area would hang from the ceiling and tell the story of this greedy dragon that guarded a treasure, and that the bats would help you fly through the kingdom and steal the treasure from the greedy dragon. In the end you would encounter the world's largest audio animatronic: A fire breathing jewel-encrusted dragon.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Sketch105
I don't know. The story has been told and confused a hundred times. Some say the Imagineers design went into IOA, and some say it was only the basic idea and that the fire and ice dueling idea was added in. The queue is the only real thing that screamed "AK Dragon coaster".

As Jim Hill reported, the idea was that the bats in the queue area would hang from the ceiling and tell the story of this greedy dragon that guarded a treasure, and that the bats would help you fly through the kingdom and steal the treasure from the greedy dragon. In the end you would encounter the world's largest audio animatronic: A fire breathing jewel-encrusted dragon.

COOL!!! Don't really like the "bat" idea...maybe a pegasus though!

CmdrTostada

Does anyone else realize that Disney Imagineering is taking hints from J.R.R. Tolkien novels? The jewel encrusted dragon is Smaug from The Hobbit.:D

arstogas

>>>Maybe, since RoF is set in 2084, that's when BK is planned to open too!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROF is set in 2020.<<<

Saw it last night.

The movie starts in 2002, then jumps ten years ahead, where the rest of the film takes place, in 2012.

WDWspider

Originally posted by arstogas
>>>Maybe, since RoF is set in 2084, that's when BK is planned to open too!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROF is set in 2020.<<<

Saw it last night.

The movie starts in 2002, then jumps ten years ahead, where the rest of the film takes place, in 2012.

The synopsis at www.reignoffire.com says it takes place in 2002, then jumps ahead 20 years, so according to the web site, it's 2022. Maybe someone else can confirm that the movie is in 2012. Makes alot more sense to me if it is, I don't know where I got 2084 originally.

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I AGREE...DUMP THE STORYLINE...BUT USE THOSE DRAGONS!!!

They are the coolest dragons that I've ever "seen"!!!

(Glad to see that they didn't "make them too cute")

They ARE the coolest dragons ever, but I don't think they should dump the storyline totally. Here's my dream coaster! I've been thinking about it since I first heard the plot of Reign of Fire, and now that I've seen the movie, I think it would work perfectly. The "current" timeline of the movie (I know, slight future, whatever) makes it more believable as a storyline to tell the rider that they are being put in the mine-cars/trains/coaster cars (I wouldn't want it inverted -- too hard for people in the middle rows to see the action) to take them to a safe hiding place from the dragons, and then, off you go. The queue would be your basic train station, with ticket counters and announcements about "high traffic" on the train system due to the dragon attacks, etc. or a news radio station playing the latest news on the attacks. Maybe a small news stand in the station with the magazines and newspapers covering it as well. Not too modern in trying to keep with the feel of AK while still making you feel as if you've entered a train station in some suburban town somewhere and you need to get away. You aren't trying to kill the dragons, just get to safety. The dragons starts to chase your car right away, and in the end, you come face to face, manage to dodge the beast and end up at a castle like the one in the movie. You exit through the castle and can explore it. That's the dream coaster I'm waiting for!

arstogas

>>>The synopsis at www.reignoffire.com says it takes place in 2002, then jumps ahead 20 years, so according to the web site, it's 2022. Maybe someone else can confirm that the movie is in 2012. Makes alot more sense to me if it is, I don't know where I got 2084 originally.<<<

The synopsis is simply wrong... this happens all the time.

Christian Bale's character is about 12 or so when the movie starts, and he's ten years older when they transition... The superimposition on the screen TELLS us it's ten years later, so not a whole lot of room for doubt.

There is a brief epilogue after the climax that takes place about a year following the main action of the film, but that's it.

arstogas

>>>OK...

was the movie good?

it doesn't seem like too many people are raving about it.<<<

Better than I expected, given the bad reviews. I found Christian Bale's character quite well-realized. The action sequences were thrilling and original, well-paced.

HOWEVER, there is some dialogue, primarily where Matthew McConaughey's character is concerned, that is unintentionally silly and had people laughing out loud at the wrong times, and not just once in a while, but quite a bit. You still kind of enjoy his character, but he comes off as this crazy cross between Popeye and Captain Ahab, when he should be more of a Sgt. York/Dirty Harry...

There are also some goofy moments they should not have indulged in, and the film feels like some important information was edited out for time... two major moments that seem like plants, are not paid off at all, and like the vengeful Doctor in MINORITY REPORT, you're left scratching your head and thinking "what did you bother to set that up for, if you're not going to do anything with it?"

But overall, a very different film, kind of a MAD MAX with dragons, but not as eloquent. Still entertaining fare.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Justin
I,ve Heard its good, I could have seen it today, But once again i saw Mr. Deeds! haha.

LOL, I never did see it on Friday :)

but...would you RECOMMEND the movie to someone that hasn't seen it? (and don't say YES just to pump up Beastly)

My group of five saw the movie opening night and LOVED it. I went in having read tons of bad reviews and thought it was very good. I think part of the reason it didn't do well is because Disney is doing a terrible job advertising it -- I've only saw the trailer twice on TV and heard very little else about it. We were in a theater that was about half full and everyone seemed to be on the edge of their seat -- I didn't hear any unintentional laughing (as a matter of fact -- there wasn't much laughing at all. This movie takes itself very seriously). Matthew McConaughey's character is a bit over-the-top, but given the situation, his portrayal was on the money. I don't want to give too much away, but I especially liked the "modern" Americans -- with tanks and a helicopter -- coming in to work with the British who seem to have fallen thousands of years back in time -- living in a castle riding horseback. The movie makes McConaughey and Bale complete opposites, with their common link that they are both heros.

The one thing that bugs me is when a scene is what I refer to as "cheesy fake" -- obviously green-screened or done digitally when it doesn't need to be. There is one such scene, very brief, but it really made me angry because if the scene had been shot from a different angle on the real sets, it probably would have been easier, cheaper and looked SOOOO much better. It was a simple shot of Matthew McConaughey jumping at a dragon -- but it was so obviously fake that I was furious.

Otherwise, I adored this movie. If you want to know more, check out www.aintitcoolnews.com -- Harry Knowles has a review that pretty much sums up my feelings.

WDWFREAK53

FINALLY...I want to see it but I have ONLY heard bad reviews...

Thank god SOMEONE liked it...I'll take your opinion Married...
Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom