News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Rodj

You look at the popcorn bucket as something that Disney is listening to us about? I mean, they have known Figmant was popular since debut. But please don't misconstrue the popcorn bucket for us being heard. If anything the popcorn bucket was a slap in the face while telling us to 'shut up.' They absolutely know we hate it, but it's just 'ok' enough to not use money to change it back to a crowd favorite.
This person who has insider knowledge says otherwise:
Figment is safe.

Any Pixar IP has been shot down (Soul and Inside Out) due to some significant individuals not wanting him to leave. And from what I've heard, the popcorn bucket woke them up to realizing how popular he is. The days of worrying about him leaving are behind us, now it's just 'what do they do with him?'.

MR.Dis

If there were enough complaints that they actually closed Journey Into Imagination to retool the ride and add the character back in, there are numbers more than Disney Nerds and APs that would care...
there is absolutely no risk for them to replace a lackluster, dated and tired ride with a new attraction featuring characters that guests actually care about... Those that don't know about the characters will learn just like we did....Figment was THE IP for EPCOT...
Yes, I too would love a reboot of Figment and the Dreamfinder. But was just thinking, there is a whole generation that has no clue as to who/what the Dreamfinder is. Every year that goes by we lose more and more fans of this attraction to loss of memory or death. Are the powers that be just waiting us out until there are no more left to lament this special attraction???

DisDude33

Yes, I too would love a reboot of Figment and the Dreamfinder. But was just thinking, there is a whole generation that has no clue as to who/what the Dreamfinder is. Every year that goes by we lose more and more fans of this attraction to loss of memory or death. Are the powers that be just waiting us out until there are no more left to lament this special attraction???
This is actually something I talk about with people a lot. I’m 38 and have been going to the parks since the late nineties but I never saw the dreamfinder and have no real connection with him or his version of the ride. My only experience with Figment is the current version of the ride and it honestly never endeared him to me.

Basil of Baker Street

This is actually something I talk about with people a lot. I’m 38 and have been going to the parks since the late nineties but I never saw the dreamfinder and have no real connection with him or his version of the ride. My only experience with Figment is the current version of the ride and it honestly never endeared him to me.
I'm the same way. I guess it's why I have no real attachment to Figment that a lot of people seem to have.

UNCgolf

I've always argued that Figment doesn't really work well without Dreamfinder (doesn't have to be Dreamfinder specifically, but some kind of similar figure). Figment needs that framing, so I'm not surprised by some of these comments.

It obviously doesn't help that the original ride was one of Disney's best and the current one is awful, though.

SilentWindODoom

I've always argued that Figment doesn't really work well without Dreamfinder (doesn't have to be Dreamfinder specifically, but some kind of similar figure). Figment needs that framing, so I'm not surprised by some of these comments.

It obviously doesn't help that the original ride was one of Disney's best and the current one is awful, though.

Admittedly, he has a framing now. A foil played by a much beloved actor. It's just that the ride itself is a shadow of its former self.

I never experienced the old ride... At least, I don't remember it. My only memory of Future World was the jumping fountains. My only experience with it has been Martin's video. But any fan with any passing knowledge of history should be aware, especially with the popularity of Defunctland and other such second-hand historians/video producers. But... it's strange to say all of our hopes are on Seth Rogen.

UNCgolf

Admittedly, he has a framing now. A foil played by a much beloved actor. It's just that the ride itself is a shadow of its former self.

I never experienced the old ride... At least, I don't remember it. My only memory of Future World was the jumping fountains. My only experience with it has been Martin's video. But any fan with any passing knowledge of history should be aware, especially with the popularity of Defunctland and other such second-hand historians/video producers. But... it's strange to say all of our hopes are on Seth Rogen.

Yeah, but the framing is part of the problem -- Eric Idle's character in the current ride is very different from the Dreamfinder character. Idle is almost the antagonist.

Bocabear

The videos don't capture how amazing that ride was...especially the introduction with Dreamfinder and his flying machine.......and basically following him on the turntable...It was remarkable...Some of the Dreamport would have been helped with new technology, but it was a grand complete attraction...that then lead to more things to do... How they ruined this concept in the redo I cannot begin to understand....especially why they have not gone back and fixed it.

BrianLo

I’m still exceedingly of the belief that “Inside Out your Imagination” is the future direction of this pavilion. If Inside Out 2 hits big again.

Figment is canonically added into the Inside Out universe. So they have the best of both worlds - as well as a non book report ride.

It just seems like the compromise management would make to me.

The Leader of the Club

I’m still exceedingly of the belief that “Inside Out your Imagination” is the future direction of this pavilion. If Inside Out 2 hits big again.

Figment is canonically added into the Inside Out universe. So they have the best of both worlds - as well as a non book report ride.

I’m sure that I’m in the minority on this forum, but I’d be perfectly okay with this. Let Bing Bong teach the emotions (and us) about the wonders of Imagination.

That being said, if they go this route they NEED to put a new film in the Magic Eye featuring Dreamfinder and Figment. Don’t let Dreamfinder fade further into obscurity.

ToTBellHop

I’m sure that I’m in the minority on this forum, but I’d be perfectly okay with this. Let Bing Bong teach the emotions (and us) about the wonders of Imagination.

That being said, if they go this route they NEED to put a new film in the Magic Eye featuring Dreamfinder and Figment. Don’t let Dreamfinder fade further into obscurity.
If anything, you’d get a 3D show with all of the other emotions not featured as heavily on a ride.

Haymarket2008

I don't see how that makes any sense, no offense.

Why would they merge two IP's into one?

bwr827

Is Figment not just a niche character compared with pretty much every other Disney IP?

I understand that some lifelong Epcot fans have nostalgic attachment to him, but isn’t it generally more successful for the park to feature well-known characters?

I mean no disrespect to those who love Figment. Honestly curious.

I love the Inside Out idea for Epcot.

eddie104

The Wonders of Life Pavilion makes more sense to me. Including Riley’s mind as some sort of playground for kids would be ideal like their original plans for “Play” intended to create.

BrianLo

I don't see how that makes any sense, no offense.

Why would they merge two IP's into one?

I'm struggling to see how it survives without an IP tie in. Though I also think there's enough desire to keep Figment as a character around financially - I'm just not sure if it's enough on his own. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's just a Figment/Imagination Pavilion down the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom