News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

KDM31091

Right. I was hoping for ambitious risk taking projects that add visual diversity to the park. I'm not sold on Villains based on concept alone, but it still fits this description and could pay off MASSIVELY.

I'm hesitant towards Cars and Moana (and Coco to a much lesser extent). Too safe. Too uniform. Too predictable. Not "otherworldy" enough.
Exactly. I want new and exciting and “risky” attractions for the biggest expansion ever done to the park. That’s the only way to really excite me.

DisneyDean97

Not exactly:

View attachment 779144

View attachment 779145

View attachment 779146

Think of Shanghai Pirates as more like Cosmic Rewind, where the vehicle can be spun to face any direction, where Moana is more like Indiana Jones or Dinosaur!, where the vehicle can be made to feel like it's experiencing turbulence.

(I suppose it's possible Moana may also be able to face the boats in any direction, but I haven't yet heard that myself)
But is the whole ride the boat parked in front of a dome screen, and moves like an EMV ? or can it be a traditional flume too, and then go into a room with the dome screen, do its sequence and then move out of the dome screen?

MerlinTheGoat

But is the whole ride the boat parked in front of a dome screen, and moves like an EMV ? or can it be a traditional flume too, and then go into a room with the dome screen, do its sequence and then move out of the dome screen?
If these diagrams were ever intended to be used with the Splash Mtn looking idea seen in the original AK concept art, then presumably the boats would have to be able to dynamically connect and disconnect to that rocking mechanism. Otherwise I would figure a big drop like that would be fairly impossible.

WaltWiz1901

I hope the rumors of Radiator Springs are not true, as this is a huge project and probably the biggest MK will ever see anytime in the foreseeable future. I don’t want clones. Give us brand new things.
I want new and exciting and “risky” attractions for the biggest expansion ever done to the park. That’s the only way to really excite me.
While it's inevitable that some things would be cloned every now and then, as I've said in another thread, I would argue that every castle park needs at least one or two exclusive major draws to call their own. The Magic Kingdom, in its current state, is lacking on that front, especially when its closest comparison - a park that started out cloning a lot of its DNA - now has four, soon to be five, unique major attractions (or takes on attractions) to itself.

The average vacationer wouldn't care one way or another, the more fanatical parkgoer would have another incentive to take the pilgrimage. Everyone wins!
Absolutely. That ride should not have gone in that pavillion. Maelstrom was in need of a major update, but the path they chose was incredibly lame and safe.
It's especially evident when most of the international resorts have gotten or will get more thematically fitting mini-lands devoted to Frozen and they had a perfectly fine alternate concept to use without tainting EPCOT's soul. For the film that dethroned The Lion King as the highest grossing animated feature film, they should've shot for the moon and given New Fantasyland the major attraction it sorely yearned for

Brer Panther

Remember that image with Imagineering testing out a pre-vis ride thru of a decidedly Coco-based attraction a few years ago? Well, what if, hypothetically we were getting that. And instead of the costly and massive footprint of a Soarin 2.0 Alebrijes Flight E ticket we would get a Soarin-esque ride sequence combined with classic darkride movements within a souped up, projection-heavy C-ticket dark ride. Could the BBT Coco attraction be a variation of the "black box" flex ride attraction concept?

1000000920.png
Please, no more screen-based trackless dark rides. Runaway Railway and Ratatouille are bad enough.
Aladdin would likely be a flight over and through the desert, the city of Agrabah, into the Cave of Wonders. Likely encounters with an animatronic Genie, and the giant snake Jafar. Super iconic locations and super iconic ride vehicle, being the Magic Carpet. There’s a lot of wish fulfillment possible here that the current spinner doesn’t deliver.
Somebody on this site did a pitch for an Aladdin dark ride where the "Friend Like Me" sequence was represented by the riders going inside the Genie's lamp. If they ever actually did an Aladdin dark ride, I think they should totally do that.
With Moana, you have another boat ride through the tropics (Jungle Cruise and Pirates anyone?) maybe with an encounter of a giant crab.
Tamatoa WOULD make a pretty cool animatronic... with our luck, though, they'd probably just have him on a screen.
I have been thinking about this thru the eyes of those who are politically adverse. Since Aladdin is set in the middle east, I do not see any way a dark ride is developed around this movie--it is just a no win scenario.
Ah, jeez, you make a good point. They put a disclaimer in front of it on Disney Plus... they probably consider it too problematic to build an attraction for.

I wonder if this'll affect Jafar's presence in the hypothetical villains' land.

fgmnt

While it's inevitable that some things would be cloned every now and then, as I've said in another thread, I would argue that every castle park needs at least one or two exclusive major draws to call their own. The Magic Kingdom, in its current state, is lacking on that front, especially when its closest comparison - a park that started out cloning a lot of its DNA - now has four, soon to be five, unique major attractions (or takes on attractions) to itself.

The average vacationer wouldn't care one way or another, the more fanatical parkgoer would have another incentive to take the pilgrimage. Everyone wins!

It's especially evident when most of the international resorts have gotten or will get more thematically fitting mini-lands devoted to Frozen and they had a perfectly fine alternate concept to use without tainting EPCOT's soul. For the film that dethroned The Lion King as the highest grossing animated feature film, they should've shot for the moon and given New Fantasyland the major attraction it sorely yearned for
Frozen Ever After is Iger’s historic myopia towards the park and general risk aversion made manifest.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Please, no more screen-based trackless dark rides. Runaway Railway and Ratatouille are bad enough.
They really are. Definitely not as good as they could/should have been. Railway especially. And that's coming from a fan of the modern Mickey shorts. Rat is successful but still lacking. I think the tech is fine they just haven't done it justice yet.

*If Coco were to go trackless, I feel like the "black box" concept of a projection/screen-based setup would actually work well. Visually, the subject matter, especially the Day of the Dead sequences nearly hearken back to the days of "Laff in the Dark" rides with UV florescence scenes, painted flats and swinging doors. It's the same vibe. The Alebrijes especially have that traditional glowy quality. Because of that style and because it hasn't been explored yet in a trackless system, I think it has the potential to create something more intimate, more nostalgic. I think if WDI were to explore that aspect, they'd have a compelling attraction or at least something that doesn't feel like riding around in a wide-open warehouse as is typical of most LPS rides.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Yeah...that would ruin the natural realism of the park. ;)

I don't think Galaxy’s Edge is natural fit for Disneyland

If Agrabah shouldn't be equated with the Middle East, doesn't that also mean that Arendelle shouldn't be equated with Norway?
It shouldn't but now that Disney now has Morocco isn't it now on the same scope as Norway..

Absolutely. That ride should not have gone in that pavillion. Maelstrom was in need of a major update, but the path they chose was incredibly lame and safe.
Unfortunately I think they were pushing for IP at Epcot instead of having Magic Kingdom have the very first World of Arrendale which would been so epic for the US first. Hong Kong Disneyland of course would still have the best because of the mountain landscape. For them it's like easier cost of replacement is better than building from scratch (domestic parks only nowadays).

hope the rumors of Radiator Springs are not true, as this is a huge project and probably the biggest MK will ever see anytime in the foreseeable future. I don’t want clones. Give us brand new things.

I agree Aladdin deserves more than a spinner and some more true water rides where you can cool off would be great too.
Your going to have something new, something new big, but your still going along have somethings that Disney knows works and will bring the crowds, kids, families. If anything of a Villains land is considered promised then Disney also wants to incorporate something additional for kids, families that wouldn't be interested in the much more adult teen Villain expansion.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Ah, jeez, you make a good point. They put a disclaimer in front of it on Disney Plus... they probably consider it too problematic to build an attraction for.
Your actually like sensual flying through Agrabah then up to the clouds in Mickey's Philharmagic. The point of the film attraction the most popular would be the A Whole New World scene and Jasmine with Genie at the end as enough, doesn't have to be the whole film even though why can't it like others.

I have been thinking about this thru the eyes of those who are politically adverse. Since Aladdin is set in the middle east, I do not see any way a dark ride is developed around this movie--it is just a no win scenario. Too bad, as this was a terrific movie -- even liked the re boot.

Even just a flying indoor dark ride or simulator on a magical carpet flying over the many different parts of the world in the clouds just like the famous music scene in a A Whole New World? That whole scene resonates the entire film about a street boy falls in love with a Princess and just wants to take her to see the world for there's a far greater world than the palace she resides! Mickey's Philharmagic exists already with this showcasing if it was any trouble of any kind.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

It's simple: In DHS, the singalong is Frozen 1; in EPCOT, the Sommerhus is themed to Frozen 2, and the ride is between 1 and 2; and in MK, the new World of Arendelle will be themed to Frozen 3.

Easy peasy!!
MisterPenguin you just made an excellent point in facts and opened me pandoras box of "possible upcoming possibilities in theory!"

Could it perhaps be possible why WDW but especially Disneyland resort does not have a World of Arrendale of any kind yet is because maybe while the international parks are finding new reasons to motivate visitors to visit their resorts the US would later want a newer land off of say the 3rd and 4th film. Imagine if now Elsa built has a new port Kingdom to call her own since she's free from being Queen of Arrendale? Something next like this would make visitors want to visit Elsa in her own place..........

SpectreJordan

While there are certainly children who would refuse to step foot in a Villains-themed land, I don’t anticipate it would be anywhere near the majority. In fact, I expect this land would have attractions that would be much more accessible to young children than many other attractions at MK (not to mention DHS and DAK).

Even princess rides like TBA, 7DMT, and probably whatever they end up building for Moana, are inaccessible to many young kids, who either can’t (due to height restrictions) or won’t ride. Compare that to HM, MNSSHP, or, say, an Ursula spinner, spooky-themed experiences that many kids do/would love.

I think the demographic that would be most let down by a Villians land would be childless adults who have been clamoring for a villians-themed land (or park) that will genuinely scare them. I’m quite confident in predicting that Disney wouldn’t build something of that nature.
I don't think anyone who's been begging for the Villains idea thinks that will happen. Disney doesn't have any actual scary villains besides maybe Chernobog. People like the Disney Villains because they're evil but campy. The Villains people just want a fun, spooky land; the anti-Fantasyland.
Not quite some of those from some of the monster movies you have mentioned are in fact the hero's in the EU land . But in any case Frankentein wouldn't be chasing you even if that wasn't the case it would be Frankenstein's monster.

Centering a land around Villains allows WDI to be some what creative rather than doing another *yawn* book report the ride based on the latest animated feature.
Couldn't we say the Monster is the Doctor's "son" & thus a Frankenstein himself? ;)

PREMiERdrum

Sunday evening (virtual) happy hour and the good stuff came out - literally and figuratively.

Confidence is high for Moana and Coco in MK.

While other plans are afoot, they are sounding further off and out of focus. And we know the mouse's track record with Phase IIs.

Wouldn't be shocked if they're weighing the massive, as-discussed MK expansion vs. additional, moderate expansions at all 4 parks. Is the full "14 acre" BBTM juice worth the (infrastructure cost) squeeze?

castlecake2.0

Sunday evening (virtual) happy hour and the good stuff came out - literally and figuratively.

Confidence is high for Moana and Coco in MK.

While other plans are afoot, they are sounding further off and out of focus. And we know the mouse's track record with Phase IIs.

Wouldn't be shocked if they're weighing the massive, as-discussed MK expansion vs. additional, moderate expansions at all 4 parks. Is the full "14 acre" BBTM juice worth the (infrastructure cost) squeeze?
Honestly 2 new attractions, sprucing up of some smaller attractions, reopening all the closed shops/dining, and adding back some entertainment is what MK needs. Why create new infrastructure when there’s still plenty of closed infrastructure?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom