News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They made a mistake making IP specific lands instead of Studio-specific lands.
I would contend that theming a land to a specific studio is not a good idea. And yes, that goes for Pixar Pier.

When you use a studio as a theme, then you are locked into just those IP from that studio. An IP from a different studio may be perfect to match with an IP from another studio... but nope. They're different studios, so, you're forced to keep them separate. Sorry, Merida, but you can't be with the Disney princesses in DAS-Land because you're from Pixar.

Also, you start to scrape the bottom of a studio's barrel if you limit yourself to just that studio for 'the land.'

Purduevian

I would contend that theming a land to a specific studio is not a good idea. And yes, that goes for Pixar Pier.

When you use a studio as a theme, then you are locked into just those IP from that studio. An IP from a different studio may be perfect to match with an IP from another studio... but nope. They're different studios, so, you're forced to keep them separate. Sorry, Merida, but you can't be with the Disney princesses in DAS-Land because you're from Pixar.

Also, you start to scrape the bottom of a studio's barrel if you limit yourself to just that studio for 'the land.'
DCA also has a Carsland, monsters inc ride, Turtle talk, and Philharmagic (with a Coco Scene) all ourside of "Pixar Pier"

Sectorkeeper71

I think you can make a whole “studio” land work; even with Toy Story land in Hollywood studios, you still have the rest of the Pixar properties you can draw from if you wanted to make a Pixar land there. My issue is more when you make the studio land as a shoehorn into an existing space ala Pixar pier

capsshield

They could divide it like they have disney plus
Pixar
Lucasfilm
Disney animation
Disney live action
Marvel studios
Even 20th century fox
Leave the Hollywood as a gateway

And for the "can't use marvel" voices, yes they can just not the marvel Universal uses.

Phicinfan

They could divide it like they have disney plus
Pixar
Lucasfilm
Disney animation
Disney live action
Marvel studios
Even 20th century fox
Leave the Hollywood as a gateway

And for the "can't use marvel" voices, yes they can just not the marvel Universal uses.
Actually, they can't use the word Marvel in the parks east of the Mississippi I believe. Nor the Marvel characters that Universal uses.

Purduevian

Doesn't that basically amount to Guardians of the Galaxy and nothing more?
I don't think any of us have seen the contract, but I think the Guardians, Dr. Strange, Wakanda (not BP), the eternals, Big Hero six (yes it's Marvel), America Chavex, Phil Coleson and Deadpool are all fair game. There is also a massive list of characters in Marvel comics they could use, but have not given movies/TV shows to.

MagicHappens1971

I don't think any of us have seen the contract, but I think the Guardians, Dr. Strange, Wakanda (not BP), the eternals, Big Hero six (yes it's Marvel), America Chavex, Phil Coleson and Deadpool are all fair game. There is also a massive list of characters in Marvel comics they could use, but have not given movies/TV shows to.
The contract is somewhere on the internet. It’s anyone that is not part of the “Avengers” family at the time the contract was written. It’s all of those characters and possibly a few more, Moon Knight is one I believe.

lazyboy97o

Purduevian

Didn't Disney and Comcast rejigger the contract to make clear what is and isn't allowed?
I hope so... it's not quite clear from a fan perspective:

"character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing."

I think the only confirmed things are Guardians (ride), Dr. Strange (M&G), Big Hero 6 (M&G), the rest is just speculation other than MCU original characters (would not have existed at the time of the contract). Phil Coulson, Darcy Lewis, Miss Minutes, Ralph Bohner, Erik Selvig, and others are all orignial.

MagicHappens1971

I think the only confirmed things are Guardians (ride), Dr. Strange (M&G), Big Hero 6 (M&G), the rest is just speculation other than MCU original characters (would not have existed at the time of the contract). Phil Coulson, Darcy Lewis, Miss Minutes, Ralph Bohner, Erik Selvig, and others are all orignial.
Also if the character has been advertised within the parks (WDW) i.e the banners in Animation Courtyard, Ms. Marvel and Moonknight are two that pop into mind right away, as well as The Eternals. From what we understand, Wakanda as entity could be used minus the titular character, Black Panther.

doctornick

Also if the character has been advertised within the parks (WDW) i.e the banners in Animation Courtyard, Ms. Marvel and Moonknight are two that pop into mind right away, as well as The Eternals. From what we understand, Wakanda as entity could be used minus the titular character, Black Panther.
There was a reference to Matt Murdock (Daredevil) as part of the theming for the Dr Strange M&G so possibly allowed as well.

I think there was an advertisement for Shang-Chi as well when that movie came out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom