News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Fox&Hound

DHS needs to find its identity. It's not "Hollywood" anymore. A villains-anything would make more sense there, I think. More so than MK; especially if the goal is to cast the park as the "edgy" anti-Magic Kingdom. It skews "more teen", which fits right in with the "Nightmare Before Christmas" IP. If only they could somehow combine the idea of "Villains" while also including non-villainous properties that still fit within the "Scary/Spooky/Evil" conceptual mold. It'd be the perfect park addition. If MK is the sugary dreams of childhood, DHS could be the nightmare and adrenaline fueled fantasies of tween/teen angst.
Agree 100%. Do any insiders know if there is any internal decision to bring villains to DHS and not MK (whenever they do pull the trigger)? Still stuck in their word choice of overdrive when talking about beyond big thunder (“our plans are shifting into overdrive”).

MagicHappens1971

Agree 100%. Do any insiders know if there is any internal decision to bring villains to DHS and not MK (whenever they do pull the trigger)? Still stuck in their word choice of overdrive when talking about beyond big thunder (“our plans are shifting into overdrive”).
Not an insider, just replying to you... I don't think Disney intends to actually start/announce anything for another 6-8 months. As others have mentioned, it seems that Disney won't be doing anything until the end of the fiscal year (September 30th). They could announce a whole slate of things at D23 but we won't see any shovels in the ground until end of 2024. Nothing (of substance) will open until Spring 2026 at the earliest. It's pathetic.... Disney needs to hustle and get (pure) expansions in all 4 parks. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move the ideas of a Villainsland to DHS, but honestly feel that MK would finally be much more fleshed out if they open 4-5 new attractions, 2-4 dining options, and some shopping with these expansions. Especially if they finally do something with SGE and the rest of Tomorrowland. DHS also needs to do something with Animation Courtyard, hopefully we will find out more this August.

Sectorkeeper71

IMG_3262.jpeg

aladdin2007

The fact that we are even discussing a DHS expansion makes me even more frustrated that they didn’t just update GMR and build MMRR where Launch Bay is, opening onto Animation Courtyard as it should. El Capitoon would have been amusing around the corner from the Chinese Theatre.

Missed opportunity to kill two birds with one stone for only a bit more money than they spent converting GMR to MMRR. Why on earth do they throw out great rides (that just need a little TLC) at the resort with the blessing of size?
they don't want the maintence costs of sets and figures anymore etc etc....but I totally agree with all the above. MMRR could have been a part of a new fl version of toontown, in place of that awful animation courtyard....its the worst I have ever seen it currently in all its years of existence. It has gone from pretty good with the animation tour and mermaid, art of disney shop and another shop or two, to just okay, to downright ghetto. its all shuddered except for being stroller he**.

yensidtlaw1969

DHS needs to find its identity. It's not "Hollywood" anymore. A villains-anything would make more sense there, I think. More so than MK; especially if the goal is to cast the park as the "edgy" anti-Magic Kingdom. It skews "more teen", which fits right in with the "Nightmare Before Christmas" IP. If only they could somehow combine the idea of "Villains" while also including non-villainous properties that still fit within the "Scary/Spooky/Evil" conceptual mold. It'd be the perfect park addition. If MK is the sugary dreams of childhood, DHS could be the nightmare and adrenaline fueled fantasies of tween/teen angst.
I think this is worth clarifying - It's not Studios anymore, but it is still Hollywood. Hollywood Boulevard remains intact as the opening act of the park and Sunset Boulevard is a strong supporting player to it. Echo Lake is also, in part, still Hollywood manifest. The changes to the park in the last decade have undercut the park's Studio guise, but the Hollywood-specific elements have stood strong, indirectly affirmed (though not particularly emphasized) by the new themed lands and attractions. Star Wars is a product of Hollywood. Toy Story in its way as well. Mickey, of course.

Point being, I agree that the park needs a clearer identity, but I think the most direct path to that is actually to play up the existing parts of the park. They've moved from the idea that this park is a working Studio operation - fine, but then develop a new idea of what Hollywood means to Disney, how that idea is expressed by a place, why guests should want to go there, and do those in a way that's inclusive of what currently works within the park. "Hollywood" isn't really the issue, scattershot execution of it is. Especially because those thematic elements don't inherently disagree with the park's intended audience. Expand and enhance the existing profile, which could be corralled into something cohesive without undoing the good remaining framework.

With that in mind, I would suspect a type of Villains Land could be worked into DHS in a way that furthers the thematic consistency and targets the core market for the park, though realistically it doesn't seem like that's on Disney's list. I've been getting the impression that a Villains Land for Magic Kingdom is one of the D23 Blue Sky concepts that they're taking more seriously. Though it remains to be seen whether it will actually be selected.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I think this is worth clarifying - It's not Studios anymore, but it is still Hollywood. Hollywood Boulevard remains intact as the opening act of the park and Sunset Boulevard is a strong supporting player to it. Echo Lake is also, in part, still Hollywood manifest. The changes to the park in the last decade have undercut the park's Studio guise, but the Hollywood-specific elements have stood strong, indirectly affirmed (though not particularly emphasized) by the new themed lands and attractions. Star Wars is a product of Hollywood. Toy Story in its way as well. Mickey, of course.

Point being, I agree that the park needs a clearer identity, but I think the most direct path to that is actually to play up the existing parts of the park. They've moved from the idea that this park is a working Studio operation - fine, but then develop a new idea of what Hollywood means to Disney, how that idea is expressed by a place, why guests should want to go there, and do those in a way that's inclusive of what currently works within the park. "Hollywood" isn't really the issue, scattershot execution of it is. Especially because those thematic elements don't inherently disagree with the park's intended audience. Expand and enhance the existing profile, which could be corralled into something cohesive without undoing the good remaining framework.

With that in mind, I would suspect a type of Villains Land could be worked into DHS in a way that furthers the thematic consistency and targets the core market for the park, though realistically it doesn't seem like that's on Disney's list. I've been getting the impression that a Villains Land for Magic Kingdom is one of the D23 Blue Sky concepts that they're taking more seriously. Though it remains to be seen whether it will actually be selected.

It lost Hollywood with the GMR closure and the Studios aspect with Sounds Dangerous and the Backlot Tour. DHS lacks an identity both in it's aesthetic and branding. I sprinkling of names does not a Hollywood make. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to DHS finding it roots again. I thought the Hollywood angle was a good one. But, you know things are bad when Disney considers changing the park name.

For them to double down on a Hollywood concept now would be an even greater challenge what with the Toy Story and Star Wars based lands. It's clear they're content plopping down whatever for the time being. And to that effect, Yes a Villainsland would probably fit right in. I think we're somewhat in agreement here on wanting DHS to better find it's identity. Though it remains to be seen how Disney intends to do that moving forward.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

It lost Hollywood with the GMR closure and the Studios aspect with Sounds Dangerous and the Backlot Tour. DHS lacks an identity both in it's aesthetic and branding. I sprinkling of names does not a Hollywood make. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to DHS finding it roots again. I thought the Hollywood angle was a good one. But, you know it's bad when they considered changing the park name.

For them to double down on a Hollywood concept now would be a challenge what with the Toy Story and and Star Wars lands.
Finding a way to make two massive Hollywood franchises fit in a Hollywood-themed theme park would be far less of a challenge than making a Villains Land fit naturally. Or redoing the park once again so that it could fit better. Not that I think either couldn't be done. And not that I think Villains Land is being considered for DHS.

The Great Movie Ride was of course very "Hollywood", and I lament its loss, but the ride was far from the park's final bastion of the concept. As I stated pretty clearly, the entire front half of the park is still heavily Hollywood-themed. A far cry from a sprinkling of names. The back half is not particularly Hollywood-exclusionary, though it is somewhat exclusionary of the "Working Studio" theme. It could be made to work - it somewhat does already, though I'd love a revison that makes a real effort to tie everything together consciously. The park does lack that. It's currently a repository for IP that is fronted by a beautiful half-city's worth of Hollywood art and architecture.

Let's not forget Hollywood wasn't even in the original name of the park. That they considered ditching it again (and then chose not to go through with that) doesn't hold that much weight.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Finding a way to make two massive Hollywood franchises fit in a Hollywood-themed theme park would be far less of a challenge than making a Villains Land fit naturally. Or redoing the park once again so that it could fit better. Not that I think either couldn't be done. And not that I think Villains Land is being considered for DHS.

The Great Movie Ride was of course very "Hollywood", and I lament its loss, but the ride was far from the park's final bastion of the concept. As I stated pretty clearly, the entire front half of the park is still heavily Hollywood-themed. A far cry from a sprinkling of names. The back half is not particularly Hollywood-exclusionary, though it is somewhat exclusionary of the "Working Studio" theme. It could be made to work - it somewhat does already, though I'd love a revison that makes a real effort to tie everything together consciously. The park does lack that. It's currently a repository for IP that is fronted by a beautiful half-city's worth of Hollywood art and architecture.

Let's not forget Hollywood wasn't even in the original name of the park. That they considered ditching it again (and then chose not to go through with that) doesn't hold that much weight.
I just don't see it. Sorry.

Bocabear

The framework of the park is ok...There are easy places to expand...especially if they get rid of the infrastructure that was for film production for good, and move the offices and such out of the backlot area and perhaps into the Galactic Star Cruiser...lol
But it seems like they could do a lot more with the park if they wanted...I get the feeling that SWGE and TSL are all we are going to get aside from a revamped 30 year old mermaid show.

Mike S

Historically, new parks just cannibalize attendance at existing parks. People don’t get more vacation time just because there’s a new park, so rather than add another day to see the new park they just cross one of the existing parks off their list of things to see.

Universal doesn’t mind this because they think they can steal a day that people currently spend at Disney. Disney wants to steal back the time people have started giving to Universal, but not at the expense of one of their own existing parks. When AK opened lots of guests just skipped out on EPCOT or Studios to see it.

Building a 5th park, while creatively titillating, doesn’t solve more problems than it creates, so Disney isn’t interested.
True but if I recall my history correctly DAK was the only WDW park that cannibalized attendance. EPCOT Center and MGM Studios both increased overall resort attendance upon their opening. I’m not advocating a fifth park btw.

Maybe 3 is indeed the magic number, especially now with Universal on an upswing and nowhere near the confusing marketing campaign of “Universal Escape” around IoA’s opening.

osian

Copying Universal once again, Disney dropped the studios aspect of the park, making it less meta about the making of movies and it's now more about taking you into the movies. The name MGM Studios had to go, and in came Hollywood Studios. But I think that name still stands as a concept. It's the "Hollywood that never was and always will be". It's like an imaginary company called Hollywood Studios and these are the movies it has made. A ready-made story to be told there and I think it's pretty clever!

The park is still a design mess and underdeveloped. But I really think they should double-down on the movie concept. And not dilute it, and the other parks, by putting movies into the other parks for the sake of putting movies into the other parks (though there's a lot of work to do to undo the damage already done). If they want a park that always reflects what Universal does, this is the park to do it with. That's how it came into existence in the first place.

I think Villains Land/Park is a good example of group-think. A bandwagon. Someone mentioned it once and it somehow became a snowball. But stop to think about it, does this really make sense (for MK especially) and it is really what people want or have they just jumped on a bandwagon? Again, Universal have now done it in Epic Universe, does this mean Disney should continue to copy or come up with something original that Universal doesn't have? Disney really does have the foundations for strong themetic integrity in all their parks, tying all the attractions together into a single unifying and unique concept, unlike Universal, whose parks are just collections of movie IP mini-lands.

Last edited:

bmr1591

They made a mistake making IP specific lands instead of Studio-specific lands.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
They made a mistake making IP specific lands instead of Studio-specific lands.
And it's difficult to overcome that and course correct. That and for the time being they seem content with continuing down the IP lands rabbit hole. The only options now are to either A) go in an entirely different direction for the park. Realms? Or 2) Figure out how to leverage what little of Hollywood still remains Hollywood and expand. Neither option is great.

yensidtlaw1969

And it's difficult to overcome that and course correct. That and for the time being they seem content with continuing down the IP lands rabbit hole. The only options now are to either A) go in an entirely different direction for the park. Realms? Or 2) Figure out how to leverage what little of Hollywood still remains Hollywood and expand. Neither option is great.
To be clear, "what little of Hollywood still remains Hollywood" emcompasses everything in the red circle. It's not insignificant:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 8.19.37 AM copy.png

RobbinsDad

If there is DHS expansion more IP lands is the future. CarsLand in DHS is a likely suspect, IMO.

MR.Dis

The framework of the park is ok...There are easy places to expand...especially if they get rid of the infrastructure that was for film production for good, and move the offices and such out of the backlot area and perhaps into the Galactic Star Cruiser...lol
But it seems like they could do a lot more with the park if they wanted...I get the feeling that SWGE and TSL are all we are going to get aside from a revamped 30 year old mermaid show.
To expand your thoughts, this is a Park--to entertain people. So I really do not care if it is Hollywood specific or IP specific as long as it is entertaining and is worth the money spent to enter. My constant mantra--complete this park, build more attractions. Give customers a full 9 to 11 hours of activities of enjoyment. As set up now, my family will complete all activities in about 5 to 6 hours and move on--a half day park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom