News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

SirLink

It has been said countless times that Splash and CBJ and the RoA were not "the frontier" despite being plopped down in a land called Frontierland.

And when you convert Splash to TBA and Pecos Bill to Tiana's Place... what is left of Frontier land?

Diamond Horseshoe was already drawn in by Disney maps to be preposterously part of Liberty Square. And even if you took it out of Liberty Square, it's a St. Louis restaurant, which is the same timeframe of Mississippi riverboats... and thus, not the Frontier.

The "Frontier" is not just generally the Midwest or the South. It was unsettled land (unsettled by European expansion).

There's just about no Frontier left with Pecos Bill's conversion.

It was time to put a fork in it and call it 'done.'

(Not to mention the problematic associations there are with "the frontier" -- for some, it was called 'home.')

Nothing problematic with the 'Frontier' and everyone likes a good cowboy film ... mmm 'Cowboys Of The Frontier' could sound like a cool ride. They can always build a 'New Frontierland' behind BTMR if any of this was going ahead, and that's a big 'if' due to:
  • Global recession on the horizon
  • From Idea to being Operational through WDI to division management move at a glacial speed.
  • Any plans for this will value engineered to a beignet and a mint julep cart

doctornick

Except, there is limited buildable land North of the train station. It is the train maint. for Big Thunder and the canal.
There is literally an designated expansion pad behind Splash. @marni1971 has show maps with that prior. And if they are serious about “beyond thunder mountain” then they have to connect there somehow - either they fill in (at least part of) the RoA 😢or they build a bridge over the canal and the logical place to do that is from area behind BTMRR/Splash. Yes the train service station would need to be taken into account with any plans but that can be done as it would pretty much exclusively be used after hours.

scottieRoss

There is literally an designated expansion pad behind Splash. @marni1971 has show maps with that prior. And if they are serious about “beyond thunder mountain” then they have to connect there somehow - either they fill in (at least part of) the RoA 😢or they build a bridge over the canal and the logical place to do that is from area behind BTMRR/Splash. Yes the train service station would need to be taken into account with any plans but that can be done as it would pretty much exclusively be used after hours.
Here is the 2020 plan image.
the salmon color is buildable land, The light green is marginally usable/Conservation area.
The only buildable areas are just north of (Beyond) Big Thunder and then moving across the top of the areas behind the park to the utilidor entrance.
The expansion pad is located in the already planned area behind Pirates-East of the canal-south to Seven Seas Lagoon.
The large salmon to the East of Magic Kingdom is currently used now for TRON

Attachments

• 2020 PLAN.jpg
    2020 PLAN.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 154

doctornick

Here is the 2020 plan image.
the salmon color is buildable land, The light green is marginally usable/Conservation area.
The only buildable areas are just north of (Beyond) Big Thunder and then moving across the top of the areas behind the park to the utilidor entrance.
The expansion pad is located in the already planned area behind Pirates-East of the canal-south to Seven Seas Lagoon.
The large salmon to the East of Magic Kingdom is currently used now for TRON

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. There is absolutely an expansion pad in Avdentureland south (and a bit west) of the POTC show building - there's also a smaller Adventureland expansion pad next to Crystal Palace once meant for an additional restaurant, but that's neither here nor there.

But there is an specifically designated expansion pad just north of the bathrooms behind Splash (outside the RR station/berm) basically in between BTMRR and the train service building. It's not huge, probably not enough for a ride, but could easily fit a restaurant/shop type stuff for New Orleans theming.

I can't find the map that @marni1971 has shared in the past showing all the designated expansion pads but it was on there. Maybe someone like @RSoxNo1 might have it saved somewhere. I did find this comment by Martin though (the "northwest" he is talking about is basically the "beyond thunder mountain" area):

North west, a long term area for expansion. Possibly a last resort area given the canal and its associated wet dock and double lock gates would need crossing. Possibly harder to get to as well given Splash and BTM, although the area around the BTM garage (directly north of Splash) has been looked at recently for possible Frontierland expansion. This would obviously help in pushing onstage closer to the plot.

I'm not great with drawing, but the expansion are was IIRC the area in red below. I highlighted in yellow the Splash bathrooms.

1681606118769.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just watched Tombstone for the first time a few weeks ago....AMAZING.
3:10 to Yuma is also fantastic…

Ironically who Kathy kennedy and sweater Bob gave Indy and Star Wars too

(After attempting to give it to JJ Reboot, Rian the Dim…and about 10 other people…

Except the one who did a decent job…he’s banished from San Francisco for doing something relevant 😎)

EPCOT-O.G.

3:10 to Yuma is also fantastic…

Ironically who Kathy kennedy and sweater Bob gave Indy and Star Wars too

(After attempting to give it to JJ Reboot, Rian the Dim…and about 10 other people…

Except the one who did a decent job…he’s banished from San Francisco for doing something relevant 😎)
Jon Favreau?

EPCOT-O.G.

No…that’s gone too cute

Gareth edwards

Or did you mean James mangold
You said someone was banished for doing something relevant. It does seem like leadership repels certain creatives. I thought Edward’s was pushed aside after his cut of Rogue One wasn’t working and they had to bring in Gilroy to save the day.
also, Lord & Miller. i didn’t hate Solo but feel like I would’ve enjoyed the experience and vibe of their film and vision better (all of their films and projects have been uniformly excellent).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can't find the map that @marni1971 has shared in the past showing all the designated expansion pads but it was on there.

View attachment 697624

Green are the interior park pads @marni1971 has indicated exist. The orange is a harder-to-get-to but slated-for-next (possibly) pad. The yellow is the obvious easy-to-get-to pads surrounding the MK. The red is pie-in-the-sky that would require a bunch of stuff to make happen, like rerouting canals (blue). And the red column is where the fireworks pad is.

With the land-usage maps, there really isn't such things as completely unsuitable (unless there are sink holes). Unsuitable land can be made suitable with enough money and dirt. Preservation land can be traded by buying up green acres elsewhere.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I like New Orleans Square. I think Latinxland would be nice, although not not as nice as a western Frontierland is. The problem I have with this is why Frontierland has to be replaced at all. If you're gonna retheme a land, retheme Fantasyland!! That land is some serious TLC and NFL did almost nothing for it. Just made if feel aesthatically disorganized.
As a latino myself I genuinely hate the idea of getting my own "special little inclusive land" that has zero IP I'm interested in. I don't care about being represented, just give me fun rides with entertaining characters for god's sake!

BlakeW39

As a latino myself I genuinely hate the idea of getting my own "special little inclusive land" that has zero IP I'm interested in. I don't care about being represented, just give me fun rides with entertaining characters for god's sake!

Yep, and while I am black I never once would have EVER asked for Splash to be closed. But they are not concerned with what we want, sadly 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You said someone was banished for doing something relevant. It does seem like leadership repels certain creatives. I thought Edward’s was pushed aside after his cut of Rogue One wasn’t working and they had to bring in Gilroy to save the day.
also, Lord & Miller. i didn’t hate Solo but feel like I would’ve enjoyed the experience and vibe of their film and vision better (all of their films and projects have been uniformly excellent).
We probably agree

Though I still think edwards was “too serious” for their tastes. Was a fan and was on record as saying it was star WARS…

But that was also when they they thought they “really nailed it” by making a silly reboot that has looked worse every day since…so hubris was high.

I think the lord and Miller thing might have been too silly. And it was of course always a back story nobody really wanted. I mean…you kill off ford cause he was grumpy and wanted a big check….then do a back story like 2 years later?
They could screw up a 1 car funeral at LFL.

Ok…we’re off course. For another time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep, and while I am black I never once would have EVER asked for Splash to be closed. But they are not concerned with what we want, sadly 🙄
…wait…you’re Black?!?😱

…kidding. But my personal opinion was and still is that they have always missed and opportunity to use walt Disney’s life and evolution of the company over the 20th century to acknowledge how persistent prejudice was in the context of society and how they have moved forward. He was a flawed man and the people that have followed have improved that. Our public policy is still more slanted - brutally obviously now thanks to Boom - than the Walt Disney Company. Acknowledgment of our mistakes leads to better people…and we can do that together.

Have you read “Who’s afraid of song of the south”? Recommend it if you haven’t.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom