News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I assume this is why people were saying to move small world to Epcot. To free up the space to get to the proposed villain’s land!
There is no villains land.

It’s a unicorn and pretty obvious counter to Diagon and the monsters land under construction up on kirkman.

But they’re not gonna do it. It’s just so their fans spin it to create fake buzz. They’ve been manipulating that one 20+ years.

And besides…it would go in studios. Which people also conveniently forget that Iger sorta landlocked without major capacity adds already. Lost potential.

pdude81

The exit is open to PB, but doesn't really go into it.

It can be easily walled off.

I really wonder if they'd shut down CBJ and spend money to build the wall and then open it back up. But they'd have to anyway to do work on the restaurant as guests couldn't be walking through an active (indoor) construction zone. The other question I have is whether or not that confusing exit is also needed to meet fire codes for the restaurant.

So to try to get a better understanding of this, I had to see what was being rumored. I haven't watched one of his videos in a while but checked this one out so I'm at least familiar with what was said and what wasn't.

First I'll start with a direct quote from the video:
"I can tell you with near certainty what I'm about to tell you will be happening, to some degree, at the Magic Kingdom in the near future."

He seems to be clearly saying that he's getting indications from sources about a restaurant to go along with the Splash rework. We've seen information about this for a while here so that's not a surprise. What he says about the entire rest of this appears to be opinion. I think this or that will stay. Maybe they'll change the look of these buildings. Maybe they'll add BTMRR to a new land up expanded northward.

I'll start with something that seems plausible, which is where he mentions that they want to do a complete refurb on CBJ to modern animatronics to improve show experience and cut maintenance costs. That would be smart and answers my question above about CBJ exit and what would happen with a wall. If both are being redone at the same time then I can see CBJ staying.

However, none of the rest of the MV video makes any sense to me. If they are going to retheme Pecos Bill, I don't assume the entryway that faces Frontier Land would need to be the same. That part of the building could still match the aestaethics of Frontierland which can turn right along the water there. It would take a bit of transition work, but here's my unsolicited idea:

(I can try to sketch this up if anybody cares about my thoughts, but I won't assume that right now.)

From the perspective of walking west through FL past CBJ:

- Make a right to go over the bridge and stay in FL or go straight into a WDW version of NO square.
- If follow the water line there would be some more trees or other cover on your left visually block the flume ride
-TSI boats are to the right and BTMRR straight ahead.

If you went straight to NOSQ:
- Flume ride ahead and you hand a right the same as you would now to get there.
- The trees or other cover mentioned for FL would instead be to your right
- Rebrand train station to NOSQ
- Transition area with turn like the do b/w SWGE and TSL

and here's the big one. If you're going to annex something into New Orleans square, how about Pirate's of the Caribbean. Adventureland can end with JC and Tiki Room.

I apologize if you just read this whole thing and want that minute of your life back.

Fox&Hound

It’s a unicorn and pretty obvious counter to Diagon and the monsters land under construction up on kirkman.

But they’re not gonna do it. It’s just so their fans spin it to create fake buzz. They’ve been manipulating that one 20+ years.

And besides…it would go in studios. Which people also conveniently forget that Iger sorta landlocked without major capacity adds already. Lost potential.
Curious question- why would if go to DHS over MK? Has that been on the table before?

I love the Disney villains, but I fear they would screw it up. Building sleeping beauty’s castle covered in thorns while a roller coaster ride takes you past a giant AA dragon Maleficent would be epic. A spinner themed to Ursula where you ride her tentacles and an “Evil Queen” apple cart- not so much. And which one would we get?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Curious question- why would if go to DHS over MK? Has that been on the table before?

I love the Disney villains, but I fear they would screw it up. Building sleeping beauty’s castle covered in thorns while a roller coaster ride takes you past a giant AA dragon Maleficent would be epic. A spinner themed to Ursula where you ride her tentacles and an “Evil Queen” apple cart- not so much. And which one would we get?
Because there’s no point in adding more crunch to magic kingdom…it’s already the most “fleshed out” park:
Studios continues to be a tiny “little brother” park

yensidtlaw1969

Because there’s no point in adding more crunch to magic kingdom…it’s already the most “fleshed out” park:

Quoted for posterity.

celluloid

Right…I’ll buy drinks in the Brazil pavilion anytime 👍🏻🍹

For sure. It baffles me that people have been lied to so much and they put so much faith into that Blue Sky announcement, which was the least announcement of any of the Blue Sky announcements. There have been televised announcements with triumphant music that have been canceled, and people think Villians is likely when Coco, Encanto, Splash redo and the rest of EPCOT's half redo are in store for the next decade.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For sure. It baffles me that people have been lied to so much and they put so much faith into that Blue Sky announcement, which was the least announcement of any of the Blue Sky announcements. There have been televised announcements with triumphant music that have been canceled, and people think Villians is likely when Coco, Encanto, Splash redo and the rest of EPCOT's half redo are in store for the next decade.
I don’t get the “Disney always delivers” mentality. I really don’t.

For one - that was never true…but definitely much better in the past

For a second - “super fans” that act like they’re always building and go back constantly to buy Exotic resells at higher prices actually give them cover to not build.

Last edited:

celluloid

I don’t get the “Disney always delivers” mentality. I really don’t.

For one - that was never true…but definitely much better in the last

For a second - “super fans” that act like they’re always building and go back constantly buy Exotic resells at higher prices actually give them cover to not build.

Yes. All these announcements placate until something quicker and easier can be the next minor hit move. If Wish or Elemental are somehow hits, we will just see something like The Play Pavilion revived and they will be the kind of thing we actually get.

It is late, and I have to finish cleaning up the hydrolic fluid leak from Sonny at Cosmic Ray's before I make my way to the final performance of the night at the Main Street Marceline Mo stylized Theater.

Communicora

Premium Member
I disagree. Magic Kingdom is always going to be the busiest park because it's an icon. People who are in central Florida and visit just one park choose the Magic Kingdom. It needs more attractions to soak up those crowds. They should at least get it to parity with the number of attractions at Disneyland.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree. Magic Kingdom is always going to be the busiest park because it's an icon. People who are in central Florida and visit just one park choose the Magic Kingdom. It needs more attractions to soak up those crowds. They should at least get it to parity with the number of attractions at Disneyland.
Ok.

So do you think they can handle est 30,000,000 annually? Staff it? Build more logistics for flow in and out of it?

Maybe…but have they done such a whizz bang job of that in the recent past?

Phicinfan

Ok.

So do you think they can handle est 30,000,000 annually? Staff it? Build more logistics for flow in and out of it?

Maybe…but have they done such a whizz bang job of that in the recent past?
You can't only expand at DHS or AK or Epcot, you have to continue to invest in MK, that is the main draw. It will always be the main draw, so you have to keep it viable and protect for some increase capacity. That is just the reality of the situation IMO. To date they have never and probably won't ever be able to expand at the other parks to pull that capacity. I am still not convinced that is why SWL got short changed as they figured out it would not pull enough to cover the higher costs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can't only expand at DHS or AK or Epcot, you have to continue to invest in MK, that is the main draw. It will always be the main draw, so you have to keep it viable and protect for some increase capacity. That is just the reality of the situation IMO. To date they have never and probably won't ever be able to expand at the other parks to pull that capacity. I am still not convinced that is why SWL got short changed as they figured out it would not pull enough to cover the higher costs.
I didn’t say you can’t add in magic kingdom…they have done too little there as well

But you gotta close the gap. Every open Gate is sunk overhead and lost potential revenue if you don’t get people into them. So having one park draw 30-60% more than the others is stupid. That’s an operational deficiency you correct.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
that is really true and they have done this in all of their parks... shuttered and closed and left to sit for decades with no replacement.
Since attendance has risen on a consistent trajectory over the operational history of the parks…it’s inexcusable. There is much less for each person to do - per capita - in magic kingdom and Epcot than there was in 1990

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom